Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #1

Newbie seeking advice

I'm not new to photography just this website. I've recently made the move from digital compact to DSLR and a few weeks ago bought a brand new K100D - The last in the UK??

It came with the standard 18-55 DA kit lens which I've tried out with mixed results possiblty due to the dull weather. In the past week or so I've bought a s/hand M series 50 f1.7 which is in VGC and works prefectly and today I received by post my latest purchased a brand new - still in it's original box - M series 135 f3.5 - was that a lucky find? it cost me 33 + postage form a chap on Ebay.

I'm hoping to capture some images next week when the weather should improve! Having read the lens reviews on this site what sort of performance can I expect from my lenses + K100D? Any tips gratefully received.

03-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #2

Both lenses are very good. check out the users reviews for more info.
Pentax M Series Prime Lens Reviews and Specifications - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
03-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I've acquired more lenses I've been more and more impressed by how good the kit lens 18-55 is. Not to mention that it's nice a light on the camera.
03-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Forum!
Depends what you mean by "performance." I had a K100DS and an few M series lenses (still have the lenses). If it helps, I can say (and please don't read this as anything other than information) that over the couple of years I had the K100, it and the M lenses produced sufficient quality 13"x19" prints in my exhibitions that people were prepared to part with soft, folding coin-of-the-realm in exchange for them. The photos I took with them are hanging on people's walls all over the place, from Sydney to Glasgow. And I'm not a professional - just an amateur having fun.
With the K100 and currently the K7 I always shoot RAW and process them via ACR and Photoshop, plus various other programs and plugins. The 6MP of the K100 are more than sufficient to give you very satisfying results, so long as you're not planning on producing prints much bigger than 13x19. I quickly learned not to over-sharpen the prints when trying to compensate for the limited MPs. Keep within its limits, look after it and it'll give you years of good service.
It's an excellent camera. I very much regret having traded mine in. If I'd had the money at the time I would have kept it for a second body. (And actually I went back to the shop a couple of weeks later to see if I could buy it back but it had already been snapped up).
By the way, make sure you read the instructions on the forum for using a manual lens on the K100. I think it's a Sticky somewhere. Do a search and you'll find it.

Last edited by Wombat; 03-17-2011 at 07:23 AM.
03-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As I've acquired more lenses I've been more and more impressed by how good the kit lens 18-55 is. Not to mention that it's nice a light on the camera.
Fully agreed.

From 24mm - 40mm, it's not much worse than primes that are 4 or 5 times the price (EACH).

You just need to be happy with f5.6.

With the 50mm lens, just be patient, it will take some time to learn proper exposure and focusing, but the quality of that lens is stunning. You will want to find a good hood for it.

Look up how to turn on "catch in focus", and change the preview mode to "optical preview". That will allow you to meter with the lens stopped down (you will see what I mean when you give it a shot).
03-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

as mentioned above you should read the post below to get the most out of manual lenses. Welcome to the forum and apparently LBA already

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html
03-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm surprised you got poor results from your 18-55 DA. It's a surprisingly excellent lens. I've never gotten anything less than great results with mine. It's not quite the equal of my M series 1.4 50mm, but it's very good. Plus, the DA is autofocus & a zoom, so it's a very convenient bit of kit.

Maybe you just got a bad copy?
03-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I spent last month shooting with the 18-55 wr that came with my k7. It's an adequate lens but is best at 28-45 and f5.6 + so it is definitely limited in it's use. It's a decent walk around lens better than the base canon I've used and about on a par with my Oly kit lens. Nothing spectacular about it but it isn't a bad lens either and you should be able to get good results

03-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

The slower speed hurts you more on a K100 compared to the superior high ISO performance on the newer Pentax models.
03-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you everyone

Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice. As i said at the top of this thread I'm not new to photography just digital DLSR's and bought the K100D becuase it was brand new, cheap + I could also use manual lens with it.

I need more time with the outfit to sort out the correct diopter position and experiment particulary with the 50 mm lens to 'try and catch in focus' and make use of the optical preview.

I've read up on the sticky "using manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs so watch this space. Hopefully when I get the hang of it I'll post some shots for all to see.

I also need to time around the 18-55 too.