Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
are you unhappy with you FA35 performing at f2.8 ?

03-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
Good advice Rico and I am in awe of your collection and thrifty methods of aquisition. I would probably go nuts with that many lenses and then trying to figure out which one to use when.
I'll go way off-topic here, but what the hell.

Lens count: I'm a piker compared to some here. At least one member probably has more Fifty's than I have lenses, total. And my count should hopefully drop by 15 or 20 in a few days when I put another batch up for sale... so I can buy more lenses, heh heh.

Thriftiness: That's a mandate, not an option. In order to buy something, I must first sell something. I wonder how much my granddaughter would fetch... ?? Naw, not much, she's mean.

Tryouts: I haven't tried much of my glass yet, just haven't had the right circumstances. For journeys of more than a few hours, I try to take a lens-of-the-day or two, just for tryouts. Alas, too many of those are so good that I want to carry them always. But my pack llama ran off, and my porter Ansel demands a golf cart to schlep this stuff around. Bother.

Saturation: It happens. Yeah, 20 Twenty's are about enough, as are 50 Fifty's. I won't even try for 100 Hundred's. And I haven't enough storage for many more, so I'll need to thin-out the herd. What to dispose of? Those that are neither flashy nor trashy enough? Everything whose name does (or doesn't) end in -on? Aw, I'll just do whatever the voices in my head tell me to do. But they haven't yet instructed me to part with the Rubinar Makpo 1000/10 mirror. There must be a reason...
03-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just be careful about this question.
Sometime I don't really need, but I buy it anyway.
And found out later that I do need it, or may be somehow I convince myself that I really really need it.
03-18-2011, 04:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Just be careful about this question.
Sometime I don't really need, but I buy it anyway.
And found out later that I do need it, or may be somehow I convince myself that I really really need it.
And sometimes I'm surprised that something unlikely is just right for certain situations. So I know that for narrow streets, my large-ish Tokina 21/3.8 (stopped down for thick DOF) and medium Nikkor 85/2 are right -- no surprise there -- but a tiny Enna 100/4.5 is great there too. And so is the F35-70 that I got for ELEVEN BUCKS! Which lens to mount depends on light, action, intent, etc. One size don't fit all.

And none of those were lenses I sought out. They all just happened. None were chosen for certain needs, but they all work well in the right situations.

And I find what I *don't* need, at least not right now. ObTopic: Do I *need* a 40mm? Well, I acquired a minuscule Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5 with a zillion iris blades, cheap, but I haven't needed it yet. Maybe its day will come when I put together a kit of the smallest glass, all under 151g: M28/2.8, ST35/3.5, Helioplan 40/4.5, Industar-50/3.5, Enna 100/4.5. Yes, maybe the need will come...