Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Permanently adapting an SMC Tak 85mm f/1.8

I have an SMC Takumar 85mm f/1.8 and an M42 adaptor.

Iíve used it a couple of times now but just know Iíd use it an awful lot more were I to permanently adapt it to K-mount. How easy is this to do? I know you have to be a bit careful to do it properly so it can still be easily unmounted from the camera.

Are there any obvious cons to doing this? Bar the obvious one that resale value might be less as lots of mounts can adapt to an M42 thread.

I really love the rendering but I just donít use it enough. One shot I took with it has recently made it into the PPG:

PENTAX Photo Gallery

Itís a great lens and Iíd love to use it more. It's also my only viable portrait lens (which is an area I'd like to get more into). My 43mm ltd is excellent for shorter shots but my K-135 is way too long (generally speaking).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

03-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I do it cheap-and-easy: Get a cheap M42-PK adapter; REMOVE SPRING AND SCREW!!; use PK rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten adapter onto lens base. Voila!! No glue, no dremel, no damage, completely reversible, no impact on resale value, etc. I've had adapters on some screwmount lenses for so long that I've just about forgotten they're not native PK-M.
03-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I do it cheap-and-easy: Get a cheap M42-PK adapter; REMOVE SPRING AND SCREW!!; use PK rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten adapter onto lens base. Voila!! No glue, no dremel, no damage, completely reversible, no impact on resale value, etc. I've had adapters on some screwmount lenses for so long that I've just about forgotten they're not native PK-M.
Are there no issues with the lens locking securely enough onto the camera mount with this method?
03-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There is and it's always a risk with manual lenses that could lead to inadvertently turning/twisting the lens off the mount.

However, if you're looking for a more permanent way, you can look at two alternate options.

1) Machining the face of the mount to compensate for the registration difference and then mounting a flange adapter(comes with pin lock).
2) Drilling a pin hole(in the right location) onto the lens mount(if you have the material).

TBH, between the two, I've chosen the first option simply because it does a nicer job. However, if you ever want to sell the lens and/or don't want to alter it, then there may not be many other options to choose from.

03-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Wouldn't it just be easier to sell it and buy the K mount version? It's not like hacking is the only way to get this lense in K mount.
03-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Are there no issues with the lens locking securely enough onto the camera mount with this method?
There are always variations on the mounts and with the different brands of lenses. I had bought 5 knock-off mounts from eBay which registered with the lens focal point line better than the genuine Pentax mount does, but the gap between the locking tabs and the flange was too small and I could not mount any lenses (Takumar 28 and 50) on the camera. I had to file the locking tabs down quite a bit to enable the lens to mount on to the camera.

My latest acquisitions Tessar 50/2.8 and Pentacon 28/2.8 arrived earlier in the week and when I put the Pentax adapter on the lens there was absolutely no resistance mounting to or dismounting from the camera, which made it unsuitable to use with these lenses. Then I tried it with the small gap adapters and there was some resistance but not enough to overcome the particularly stiff focusing ring on the Tessar. I removed the adapter from the lens, shoved a wooden spacer between the locking tab and the flange, placed it on a flat surface and centre punched an indentation on the tab above the red lens alignment dot. Of course, it took more than one punch to get the result I desired but now the lens/adapter combination mounts on the camera with fairly stiff resistance and accidentally removing the mount is next to impossible.

Thanks,
03-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I will have a think about it, and in the meantime I will make a concerted effort to use the lens more.
03-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Wouldn't it just be easier to sell it and buy the K mount version? It's not like hacking is the only way to get this lense in K mount.
Indeed but I've actually never seen the K 85mm f/1.8 for sale.

03-18-2011, 01:20 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the K85 are very hard to come by indeed!
03-18-2011, 01:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
REMOVE SPRING AND SCREW!!
I also use 1/8 drop of super glue ;-) That's a commitment to stay with pentax forever!
03-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I also use 1/8 drop of super glue ;-) That's a commitment to stay with pentax forever!
Wouldn't a drop of Loc-tite do the same thing, but less permanently?
03-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Wouldn't a drop of Loc-tite do the same thing, but less permanently?
Yes, or there are other reversible adhesives one could use which would be preferable to a more permanent irreversible solution.

K.