Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 02:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tokina 17mm f3.5 RMC

Ive had a few questions from people on here and from other places about this particular lens, so i thought i would go and give it a run on the k10d post here so some people can here my opinion about this lens.

First let me say, i love it.

On my old Ricoh SLR, it is a great lens. Plenty wide on FF and I never had any problems with it. On a DSLR its a little different though. The lack of auto anything means its down to only manual mode (not a problem for a lot of people, just saying...) and 17mm on a crop body is not all that wide when you are used to using a 10-20.

Now, onto the lens. It is probably the most solid lens i own. Heavy, mostly metal and oh so solid. The focus ring is beautiful to turn and has a fair bit of travel, i thought it was odd for an UWA lens, but there you go. The optics seem fairly good to me, although ive never been a pixel peeper and i never want to be so i cant tell you for sure how sharp it is at 250% etc etc...

67mm filter thread is handy, we have obtained a few other lenses with the same thread size and usually we score another CPL with them, so we are never short of one. The front element sticks out a fair way so i would recommend a UV filter or something similar just to protect it. There also isnt a built in hood or one available for it, so the rubber ones would be your only option.

Didnt have much time today to get many shots with it, i will try again tomorrow (even if they are only from the back yard)

This one shows a little distortion. Ive certainly seen worse by far

And lastly, one showing the flare this lens produces. The sun was just out of the frame in the top left corner.

10-23-2007, 03:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the flair Spam, although I don't like the no fishing sign

I haven't seen you post much lately.
I hope that your doing alright.
10-23-2007, 03:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I like the flair Spam, although I don't like the no fishing sign
Well i dont think the sign needed to be there, doubt any one would want to eat what they catch out of the river

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I haven't seen you post much lately.
I hope that your doing alright.
Yeah, havnt been posting much. Read a few less than nice comments on here by a few people a few months back and went off the forum for a while. Happens with me though, i usually go through phases of what sites im active on.
10-23-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi -spam-

I have got one too! Apart from its flare control it is a very solid lens.

cheers
Kenny

10-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
And lastly, one showing the flare this lens produces. The sun was just out of the frame in the top left corner.
I count 11 elements and a BIG FAT UV FILTER!!! LoL

thanks for the uploads! Looks great!