Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I really like the idea of the A 50 1.4 with the Vivitar 2x. as it will also give me a "fast fifty" in my bag.

I did a little searching, and it seems that the Vivitar teleconverter might be hard to find.....

If I could find that teleconverter I would go forward with this setup - but I am getting anxious and don't know if I have the patience to wait until one comes up for sale.

I'm placing a "wanted" ad in the marketplace to see if anything pops up.

03-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
Inactive Account

It Can be a little difficult to find. The going rate for one is about $60 plus or minus a few for the PK/A version (with the contacts). I see a couple sold on ebay in the last month for that. You're likely to end up spending $150-$200 total for this option but if the idea of the fast 50 appeals to you, it may be worth it.

This is what you are looking for..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vivitar-2x-Macro-Teleconverter-PK-A-Pentax-A-/2207469712...item33658b7871

This by the way will do 1:1 with ANY 50mm lens.

This is a test I did a few years ago with all of the macro options I had at the time. Anywhere it says in the caption at the bottom of the photo with TC, the Viv 2x is the one used. The distances given, if I remember correctly, are from the front of the lens.

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q109/jjkyle/Macro%20Test/

03-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the examples -

I am going to be patient for a few days to see if I can come up with the teleconverter - for now, including budget wise, this is my best option.

The A 50 1.4 seems easier to find (found a few at KEH), so I will wait on that until/if I can find the teleconverter first.

I realize this is somewhat of a compromise from where I started with the new lenses, but for the money, I am willing to work with it for the time being.

Maybe by the time that new Sigma comes out that Adam posted, I will be ready for something like that!
03-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

OR, someone just listed a 100mm macro for 90... somethings.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/137191-sale-c...-achromat.html

03-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just thought I would update -

It seems I came a long way starting with looking at the DFA 100mm WR new to where I ended up, but since I am just starting out with my first DSLR after 30+ years with an SLR, this made more sense to me.

And, I really didn't have the extra $610.......

I located a very nice Vivitar 2x MFTC through a wanted ad here in the Marketplace which is being shipped tomorrow.

I also opted for a very nice A 50mm 1.7 also being shipped tomorrow. I originally was looking for a 1.4, but found a decent deal on a very clean 1.7.

I'm into this well under $200 - this will give me a nice start into the macro world I think. Once I get my feet wet with this setup, who knows what the future will bring!

Thanks to all for your input - it was all so very helpful in helping me make a sound decision.

I'll be sure to follow up with a few photos once I have the equipment and the flowers ever start blooming here.
03-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Congrats! The pair should do quite well together in the macro realm. The A50 f1:1.7 is the True Nifty Fifty IMO as it is really the best bang for the buck.