Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Tokina is a Sigma??

I took a few shots today with my Tokina SD 400 f/5.6 (manual focus, but with an A setting on the aperture ring). When I was looking at the exif data in PhotoME, I was just a bit surprised to see this: "Lens: SIGMA APO 400mm F5.6 Telephoto Multi-Coated". Huh!?!

I've scanned the Forum reviews for the Tokina and did a brief Google search, too. I didn't see any references to this Tokina being made by Sigma. And if it was made by Sigma, wouldn't Tokina want to hide the fact?

Did Tokina make this same lens for Sigma? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim

03-18-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would think more along the lines that the Tokina is not in PhotoMe's list of lenses and therefore the program is trying to assign "a" lens to the data from your EXIF...
03-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
I was just a bit surprised to see this: "Lens: SIGMA APO 400mm F5.6 Telephoto Multi-Coated". Huh!?!

Did Tokina make this same lens for Sigma? Anyone have any ideas?
1. Misidentification is fairly common for less popular lenses in PhotoMe. It takes a reasonable semi-educated guess, on loose similarities.

2. To the best of my knowledge Sigma Corp., (the privately held camera~lens~ph_equip maker) has never had any mfgring or other affiliation with Kenko Co., Ltd. (mfgr of Tokina lenses).

.R.
03-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I find that many programs will make this error from time to time. The EXIF data that is stored in the photos has to be read and compared by the program to a database to get the pertinent text information. Part of the manufacturer ID byte must be similar between Tokina and Sigma because I find that it is a common occurrence. I have even encountered this with Lightroom, which even has problems with some Pentax lenses. Lightroom doesn't even identify the name of the lens used for the D FA 100WR and I believe my DA Ltd 15. The information is in the EXIF but Adobe hasn't updated their database to include the matching text.

03-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I would think more along the lines that the Tokina is not in PhotoMe's list of lenses and therefore the program is trying to assign "a" lens to the data from your EXIF...
A MF lens doesn't have a chip to send identifying information to the camera. All the camera knows is that it's an "A" lens and that you set the shake reduction to 400mm.
03-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Everything everybody said already. BTW, I owned that Tokina--nice, affordable, 400mm tele--miss it.
03-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, just mistaken identity? That makes sense. Thanks for your help, everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Everything everybody said already. BTW, I owned that Tokina--nice, affordable, 400mm tele--miss it.
Indeed. Apart from some purple fringing, the more I use it, the more I like it. I bought it intending to use it for birds. But, so far I haven't had the patience or guile to catch many.

Last edited by .a.t.; 05-29-2011 at 01:01 AM.
03-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We should start a data base. How many different ways a lens is misidentified in, say, eight different common editing software programs.
I nominate RioRico to begin compiling data. Everyone start sending your email lists to RioRico.
03-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
We should start a data base. How many different ways a lens is misidentified in, say, eight different common editing software programs.
I nominate RioRico to begin compiling data. Everyone start sending your email lists to RioRico.
One thing to keep in mind with RAW and EXIF is that lens identification codes, when they are present, are at best hex data, not a nice english string of letters describing the lens. Some lens makers occasionally re-use the hex ID code in more than one lens, which makes it problematic even when it is present. And it's always up to computer software to have a lookup table of lens hex codes so they can provide english language descriptions of the lens for the user (and update it when new lenses come out). Therefore, the task of identifying all the ways this could go wrong would be quite the undertaking.

I just wish the software makers would make it clearer to the end-user what the software is doing (i.e. when it's guessing, let the user know it's guessing).
03-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Since your lens doesn't transmit lens identification information, what you are seeing is a random hex number generated by the camera being misinterpreted by PhotoMe.