Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8
how about the DA*55mm

Now I have the DA70, but it's not suitable using in house, so I want to know how about DA*55 or FA43 for my baby?

03-18-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
while DA*55 and FA43 are faster in terms of f stop (obviously 55 more so) the both have slower AF. You still may do just fine but at times you may get bit frustrated (with screw driven lenses it depends a lot on what body you are using, K-7/5 are better than K10/20 which are better than K100 and *istDx series). One lens I'd suggest is F50/1.7. It's cheaper than any of those you are looking at, it's faster (I'd even say much faster) in AF action, and f stop is right halfway there between 55 and 43.
Regards
03-18-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,939
QuoteOriginally posted by lmhuang Quote
Now I have the DA70, but it's not suitable using in house, so I want to know how about DA*55 or FA43 for my baby?
Is your issue the focal length, auto focus speed, slow shutter speed or something else? The biggest differences in these lenses are their focal lengths and if 70 mm feels too long for you indoors, you might consider a 30-ish mm lens (DA 35 f2.4, DA 35 limited or FA 31 limited) as these will probably be quite a bit more useful inside, assuming that is your problem.
03-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
43 would be more forgiving indoors, but the 55 is the better lens for portraits.

the 50 1.7 suggestion is a good one.

03-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
I get the sense that you're referring more to the FL of the 70 as being too long for indoor use. If so, then the 43 would probably be good, but I would go no longer than that. If you have the budget, the FA31 would be ideal, if not, then maybe the Sigma 30. The 43 is my go-to lens for indoor use.

If you're referring to the 70 as being too slow for indoor use, my suggestions remain the same.
03-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I get the sense that you're referring more to the FL of the 70 as being too long for indoor use. If so, then the 43 would probably be good, but I would go no longer than that. If you have the budget, the FA31 would be ideal, if not, then maybe the Sigma 30. The 43 is my go-to lens for indoor use.
Interesting, I'm the other way around. 24 + 43 are my outdoor combo but indoors 31 rules! But in terms of usability (read: good FOV for baby, fast AF, and fast enough f stop for available light) I don't think 31 beats 50/1.7. I still deeply regret selling mine
03-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Interesting, I'm the other way around. 24 + 43 are my outdoor combo but indoors 31 rules! But in terms of usability (read: good FOV for baby, fast AF, and fast enough f stop for available light) I don't think 31 beats 50/1.7. I still deeply regret selling mine
I just always found 50 to be too long for the type of indoor situations that I typically shoot in, though that would obviously change in larger rooms, etc. Based on that, I would have guessed the 43 to not be wide enough, either, but it is, at least for me. I had a Sigma 30 and it was also fine indoors, but I still kinda prefer the FOV that the 43 offers. I will eventually get a 31, but not specifically for indoor use, though I'm sure it will see some duty in that respect.
03-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
I think he would need a 28 to 35mm focal length.

03-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I think he would need a 28 to 35mm focal length.
And guess what lens sits just about in the middle of that focal range?
03-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I just always found 50 to be too long for the type of indoor situations that I typically shoot in, though that would obviously change in larger rooms, etc. Based on that, I would have guessed the 43 to not be wide enough, either, but it is, at least for me. I had a Sigma 30 and it was also fine indoors, but I still kinda prefer the FOV that the 43 offers. I will eventually get a 31, but not specifically for indoor use, though I'm sure it will see some duty in that respect.
I do kind of agree here. 31 is by far my most used lens indoors but specificaly for baby there may be couple of potential. 50 is long for smaller rooms or groups indoors but for single people in average rooms and baby in wherever I think it would be ideal lens all considered
03-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
I recently tested 5 (yes, 5) different copies of the DA* 55/1.4 on a K-7 and one of them on a k-5 as well, and I could not get any of them to focus accurately or consistently. I wanted to use this lens for portraiture but found that I could not trust it. None of my other lenses have any such problems, so I doubt that the problem lies with the cameras. My advice is to test this lens very carefully, if you do get it.

Rob
03-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,413
QuoteOriginally posted by lmhuang Quote
Now I have the DA70, but it's not suitable using in house, so I want to know how about DA*55 or FA43 for my baby?
Take a look at the Sigma 50mm F/1.4. It is actually closer to 47mm. AF is really quiet and fast. It is sharper than either the 55mm or the 43mm at F/1.4 and F/2.0. It is bigger, but also cheaper. IQ is excellent.
03-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,464
I dunno, maybe we've got a dude after my own heart here, but having a 70, I might be more inclined to suggest a 35, or a tad wider, first. (I currently use a Sigma 28/1.8 and a 50/1.4 for everything on crop. I'd love the 31 Limited, but those are very expensive, obviously. My kit a couple grand later will probably center on a 31, aforementioned FA 50, and the 77, but I could see going with 70 and 43.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-19-2011 at 05:20 PM.
03-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,939
What happened to our OP? 14 posts later, he is still on his first post on the forum.
03-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter
yyyzzz's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 509
Agreed!

FA43 image quality is not much superior to F50/1.7 IMHO. I normally avoid AF when taking photos of kids especially indoors. Rarely work precisely. MF most of the time. In that case A50 f1.7 or f1.7 is an alternative. DA*55 is over priced IMHO. The biggest advantages are quiet focusing and weatherproof which are not critical shooting indoors.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
while DA*55 and FA43 are faster in terms of f stop (obviously 55 more so) the both have slower AF. You still may do just fine but at times you may get bit frustrated (with screw driven lenses it depends a lot on what body you are using, K-7/5 are better than K10/20 which are better than K100 and *istDx series). One lens I'd suggest is F50/1.7. It's cheaper than any of those you are looking at, it's faster (I'd even say much faster) in AF action, and f stop is right halfway there between 55 and 43.
Regards
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Takumar 55mm/135mm/200mm, Vivitar 55mm, Pentax-F 70-210mm sposnjak Sold Items 4 01-11-2011 12:32 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K20d+DA 18-55mm II+ DA*55mm/1.4+DAL 55-300mm (Worldwide) ljay1129 Sold Items 15 11-22-2010 07:59 PM
For Sale - Sold: K20D - DBG Grip - DA18-55mm WR - 18-55mm DAL VaughnA Sold Items 7 03-13-2010 05:40 PM
DA 18-55mm AL II vs DAL 18-55mm (kit lens) vs DA 18-55mm WR rustynail925 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 01-08-2010 02:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top