Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
FA*85mm on Canon

Can someone tell me if you can use this lens on a Canon-body like 7D or 1D (so not full frame) and experience no problem with the mirrorbox?

03-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nothing to worry on aps-c.
03-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you have to cut off the aperture lever along with the guard that protects it from being accidentally bent, you will also have to get the KAF mount changed to EF mount. Also you have to use this lens in stop down mode on Canon bodies(you can't use the "A" setting)
03-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
you have to cut off the aperture lever along with the guard that protects it from being accidentally bent, you will also have to get the KAF mount changed to EF mount. Also you have to use this lens in stop down mode on Canon bodies(you can't use the "A" setting)
Also, doing the strenuous objections of Pentaxians, of course.
Since Canon makes some lovely fast 85s, too, you might consider just trading.

03-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
you have to cut off the aperture lever along with the guard that protects it from being accidentally bent,
Only for FF. Even so, the cover and the lever can be removed the civil way and be restored when needed.

you will also have to get the KAF mount changed to EF mount.
Just get an adaptor.
03-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
ince Canon makes some lovely fast 85s, too, you might consider just trading
I have seen the FA*85mm go head to head against the EF85mm f/1.2L and the results were interesting, the FA*85mm f/1.4 beat the canon lens consistently in terms of flare tolerance and corner sharpness.
03-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First we'll kill you, then we'll go to work on you.

03-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
First we'll kill you, then we'll go to work on you.

I wasn't recommending this course of action to the OP, I was just making the OP aware of exactly what is involved in using a Lens for a camera it wasn't built for to be used on.
03-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #9

You don´t need to modify the FA* 85/1.4 to get it on that Canon aps-c body.

Ron.
I used an A* 85/1.4 and my other K-mount lenses on the Canon 40D I once owned. Just got me an adapter from this Chineese guy Jfinance on ebay and hooked it on. Lens mounted with the red aperture scale arrow at about 11 o´clock though, so using the 15/3.5 or the 31/1.8 made the setup look "a bit" twisted to say the least.
I found the adapter cannot be manufactured to get the aperture scale at 12 o´clock as on some Canon bodies (like the 40D) you will encounter the issues Digitalis is mentioning as for the aperture lever and the protector.
And just in case you´d like to know, the 40D metered terribly with stop down metering....

Last edited by matsoberg; 03-19-2011 at 11:37 AM.
03-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by matsoberg Quote
just in case you´d like to know, the 40D metered terribly with stop down meteri
score one very good reason for using pentax cameras, the green button.
03-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matsoberg Quote
You don´t need to modify the FA* 85/1.4 to get it on that Canon aps-c body.

Ron.
I used an A* 85/1.4 and my other K-mount lenses on the Canon 40D I once owned. Just got me an adapter from this Chineese guy Jfinance on ebay and hooked it on. Lens mounted with the red aperture scale arrow at about 11 o´clock though, so using the 15/3.5 or the 31/1.8 made the setup look "a bit" twisted to say the least.
Don't those need correction lenses, though? There's no sense running primo glass through a ten dollar piece of correction glass.

I mean, I *come* here from (old FD) Canon. I wouldn't butcher an FA* to try and expect good results from any converter, glass or not. Canon 85s are *good,* and even if you don't need the 1.2 speed on that, there you are. Butchering a hard-to-get Pentax lens to kludge it on a Canon body is.. Probably not worthwhile.
03-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Butchering a hard-to-get Pentax lens to kludge it on a Canon body is.. Probably not worthwhile.
and don't forget the instant pariah status from certain forum members...
03-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
Zav
Pentaxian

score one very good reason for using pentax cameras, the green button.
One very good reason to get a native Canon lens on a Canon body!
03-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #14

Yeah if you want to butcher this lens, give it to me, I will put it to use on a Pentax body...KTHXGBAI.
03-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Actually I have both an extensive collection of Pentax glass (many *'s) and one 5D (original). Every now and then I like to mount my Pentax lenses on the clunky 5D. Because I don't want to have mirror clearance problems I just used a small extension tube on the PK to EF adapter and here you go.

(And before the question pops up: no, I will *never* butcher my lenses to make them work on the 5D).