Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Selling babies?

It would be like selling babies to me. I do not think that I can make a rational decision.

So which ones to keep is going to be depending on your shooting style and your preferences for each lens.

03-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmm.... there are some excellent suggestions above. I would just add to check which one you use most and let go of the ones you hardly ever pick up. Of course sell the ones that overlap, the ones that you don't use much and are easy to replace at least in IQ and the ones that are not great value for money.

So A*300/2.8 is not easy to replace but if you are a birder without AF it's not that useful probably.
It's also very heavy, but if you use it and treasure the IQ that lens produces (over the F* 300, DA*60-250 and Sigma) then of course you want to keep it. Otherwise you could get $2000-2300 for it probably (I sold mine recently).

(oh and when you decide which one of the F*300, DA*60-250 and Sigma 100-300 EX you want to sell - send me a PM
03-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

It depends on what you shoot

my pick :
12-24 or 16-50
F50 1.7
DFA 100
60-250 or 300
03-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

There are two ways to look at this situation (I can't really give you an answer): the first way is, which lenses do I really need/use on a regular basis. This is probably the most useful way, since generally in any lens collection there are nice lenses that just aren't used. The second way, and the one that I usually use for myself, is asking which lenses I would miss and in particular which ones I would have trouble replacing due to cost or availability. You tend to keep more lenses using the second criteria. A lens like your 300mm f2.8 should be kept by this second criteria, because even if you don't use it often, you would have a really hard time finding a replacement should you want one.

03-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I can't advise about letting go, but I notice you are missing the very best lenses Pentax has to offer.

So I recommend you buy the FA Limited trio, use only them for a year, and then see if you can't do without everything else. (Keeping maybe a wide zoom and the Vivitar macro.)

Probably not the advice you wanted.
03-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Ok, I REALLY need to sort out my lenses to something more manageable. Have listed what I have and need to trim back to maybe 4 or 5 lenses as it is doing my head in trying to figure out what to take when I go for a walk and I usually end up not bothering.

Looks a bit bad when I list them like this .. hope the wife doesn't read the thread.

What 5 lenses would you keep?

Pentax DA 14mm f2.8
Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro
Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4
Pentax D-FA 100mm f2.8 Macro
Pentax A* 300mm f2.8
AF 1.7X teleconverter
I don't consider the AF adapter to be a lens but would find it quite useful as a gap filler. That way, you're good to go from 14mm all the way to 510mm and less than f5 across the entire range. I've been running prime lenses for the last several months and only occasionally have missed the ability to Zoom. I'm assuming here, we are not using any Film cameras.

Your mileage may vary of course.

01-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
Ric
Site Supporter

Pentax Fa 28 mm 2.8

I would be interested in buying your Pentax Fa 28 mm 2.8 if you are interested in parting with it. I realize that you posted this some time ago. I just came across it while looking for above lens.
Thanks
01-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
What 5 lenses would you keep?
Normally, I'd say there is no way we can answer this for you - that's like putting up list of women you like and asking *us* whoch one *you* should marry. But since you asked which *we* keep, and this is kind of a fun variation on the boring old "what should I buy next" threads, I'll chime in. I'm even going to resist suggesting you sell them all and buy the five I would personally choose if I were starting over - almost none of which are on your list. Instead, this will be the five of the list you already have that I,d be happy to use as the basis of my kit.

DA14 - can't not have something wide!
DA35/2.4 - good, fast, light
DA70 - perfect portrait lens
DA100 - great short tele and great focal length for macro
DA55-300 (which, I gather from a followup, you also have) - can't not have something longer