Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #1

"Stuck" lens hood

Greetings one and all.

I recently purchased a Pentax K10D as my first dDSL and am very pleased so far with the camera.

However, after using/storing the lense hood several times I somehow managed to store the lens hood on the lens in such a manner that it cannot be removed. Now, I'll be the first to admit I can force many things into compliance but the hood went on incorrectly with no trouble. I've brought it to the POP and the suggestion was made that I break the lens hood off of the lense; I think I don't like that idea very much.

Has anyone else had this experience and if so how did you remove the lense hood without damaging it or the lense?

Thanks.

G_M

10-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try a couple of drops of vegetable oil around the ring of it.
Let it sit for a while, then try.

With a little luck this will lubricate the hood enough to allow it to slip off.
Be very careful where you put it, you don't want the oil to go where you don't want it.

I wouldn't try anything other than vegi oil.
10-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
it's got to be bound up somewhere. try and find that point and try squeezing the hood to remove the pressure at that point. what have you got to loose.
10-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can also get one of those jar lid openers and that should give you enough leverage on the hood to unscrew it. Others have had the same issue with filters and this worked for me and them. I'd use any oil as a last resort.

10-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
problem solved

Another camera shop employee was able to remove the lense-hood and agreed there is a design flaw that allows the hood to be stored incorrectly, effectively locking it down.