Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #1

FA 100-300mm infinity focus problem

I have recently taken a risk and bought online an FA 100-300mm 4.5-5.6 . I was excited to finally get a long lens on my K-x, but my excitement didn't last long. It couldn't focus to infinity from around 120mm upwards.

The minimum focusing distance also seem to be about 20cm shorter than it is supposed to be. It looks as if the register distance has somehow changed.

The previous owner claims that he never had any issues with the lens.

Does anyone know what could cause this and whether it can be fixed? (It is a power zoom lens, don't know if that's relevant).

Any help would be much appreciated.

03-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
where did you get the lens? Sounds like a clear case of a mis-represented item, unless it was damaged during shipping. (seems unlikely) Either way, you didn't get what you paid for, and the seller should work with you to either take it back & refund you or offer a partial refund to pay for repairs. If they will not budge, hopefully you paid for it with paypal and can file a claim... best of luck.
03-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If it was represented as full functional, and it isn't, then it is NOT AS DESCRIBED and you should get a refund, either voluntarily or via the eBay/PayPal user protection program, if applicable.

Don't accept a repair offer. Return the lens. It is not a good lens. Much better is the FA100-300/4.6-5.7. You have the evil twin. Send it back.
03-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for your advices acrollet and RioRico.

As I said, I did take a risk. Here are excerpts from the item description: "Selling as is. Lens is in very good condition...Works fine however I haven't been able to operate the power zoom for some time as i haven't had a compatible body. AF works well." And "no returns accepted".

So I hoped the "as is" part was in regards to the power zoom. Anyway, I have learned a lesson.

On the other hand, I got a Pz-AF 2x Teleplus MC7 teleconverter with this lens all together for $120 delivered, so it is not all bad news. Especially if I manage to fix the lens somehow.

I was hoping for some repair advice, but it looks like I am on my own with this challenge. So I will give it a go, as there is no much to lose. Will post the details if I succeed.

Last edited by radomir; 03-22-2011 at 10:51 AM.
03-22-2011, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by radomir Quote
So I hoped the "as is" part was in regards to the power zoom. Anyway, I have learned a lesson.

I was hoping for some repair advice, but it looks like I am on my own with this challenge. So I will give it a go, as there is no much to lose. Will post the details if I succeed.
There's two types of people in this situation. Those who've made the same mistake & those who will as well. In other words, I feel your pain.

I would do as many searches using both Google & Bing to find out as much info on the lens. You'll be surprised what you might find.

Get all your tools that you'll need. Here's a link with some good info which will lead to even more links..
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/135750-basic-l...aning-kit.html

Most of all, please do keep us posted. Let us know how it's going and the results.
03-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
There's two types of people in this situation. Those who've made the same mistake & those who will as well. In other words, I feel your pain.

I would do as many searches using both Google & Bing to find out as much info on the lens. You'll be surprised what you might find.

Get all your tools that you'll need. Here's a link with some good info which will lead to even more links..
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/135750-basic-l...aning-kit.html

Most of all, please do keep us posted. Let us know how it's going and the results.
Thank you for this link, it is a great resource. I will definitely post the details if I manage to fix my lens.

Cheers