Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

Sigma EX UV filter on Pentax 300mm F4 Lens

Is there any advantage to using a Sigma Ex DG UV Filter on a Pentax SMC Da* 300 mm F4 ED (IF) SDM Lens.
Will the Hoya UV (0) be adequate considering the quality of the lens?

03-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With filters it all depends on what coatings they use. The better coatings the better results. While I don't think in most shots with long tele with front element and filter covered by deep hood you would see much if any diference. There would be scenarios where cheap filters would negatively affect the IQ (mainly shooting into some light sources, which would come up as reflections and glare and flare). But as rule of thumb, to be covered in any/all conditions the better the filter the better the results.
03-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #3

Hello, da * 300 is a magnificent lens.

How to use pure filter hoya filters, I do not know them. sigma
but I know it may assert an anti-glare coating.

I can go on the hoya hd, is unbreakable
03-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kootenay Image Quote
Is there any advantage to using a Sigma Ex DG UV Filter on a Pentax SMC Da* 300 mm F4 ED (IF) SDM Lens.
Will the Hoya UV (0) be adequate considering the quality of the lens?
I use a Sigma EX DG filter with my Sigma 105 macro and it is very good, but on a WR lens I wouldn't use any type of filter on a permanent basis.

If you want to get a Hoya filter, make sure you buy a top notch one because their older HMC coatings were easy to scratch. I think they have a new line of Super-something coated filters, but I switched to B+W and never tried something else. B+W are good but even they might not have coatings to match the DA* in terms of repelling dust, fingerprints, and water. Again, I wouldn't use a filter with the DA* - just use the hood at all times.

03-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use one on my DA* 300 and I am very satisfied. All my other lens have Hoyas filters and I don't see any difference between the two.
03-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The most important consideration in choosing a protection filter will be resistance to flare - in other words, the quality of the coatings. I would go so far to say that the filter MUST be multicoated on the surface facing the lens.

Price isn't necessarily a guarantee of quality here, and if you look here:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

you'll see that the Hoya HMC UV filter outperforms several other more expensive filters (though the Sigma isn't covered here).

My feeling would be that you can't go too far wrong with the Hoya HMC...
03-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
Price isn't necessarily a guarantee of quality here, and if you look here:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

you'll see that the Hoya HMC UV filter outperforms several other more expensive filters (though the Sigma isn't covered here).
That test is largely irrelevant on digital cameras. You buy these filters for protection, not for UV filtering. One of the main points for ranking in the lenstip review is UV filtering and it's the only one measured precisely - the other two are subjective appreciations of test shots. While Hoya HMC does a good job for UV filtering (it has a steep drop down in light transmission in UV range), it actually has more irregular light transmission than the B+W filter in the visible spectrum (just compare their curves - the B+W one is flatter). Lenstip also didn't take into consideration the quality of coatings - the HMC ones scracth easily - I didn't manage to scratch a B+W one yet (to be fair to Hoya, their HD ones are supposed to be better, but whether they're as good as a B+W, I don't know).