Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Takumar 35mm f/3.5 M42 Cleaning

I have a Takumar 35mm f/3.5 M42.

As you can see from the picture I have a dust buildup or fungus.

I'm trying to get the top off. I want to make sure I'm turning the right object.
A Spanner wrench will not work as there's not any place to which will accept the tips.

I've tried twisting off the top outer ring and it's on there good.

I've tried the inner ring using some of tools suggested here (Crutch tip, etc). I don't want to apply too much pressure until I'm sure I'm removing the right part.

So, is it the outer ring I need to twist counter clockwise?

Is it
the inner ring next to the glass?

Does that look like dust or fungus?

Thanks

03-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have a look at this link - I believe that all taks use the same concept:

Pentax 50mm f/1.4 strip-down instructions

and this:

PENTAX MANUALS
03-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Have a look at this link - I believe that all taks use the same concept:

Pentax 50mm f/1.4 strip-down instructions

and this:

PENTAX MANUALS
Those are great links. I still can't figure out which ring to try and remove. I have other Taks and the outside ring is the one that comes off. This one is either stuck big time, or I'm missing something.
03-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Glee I had that lens in K mount and it had the same stuff around that rim. I think it is glue or something, not fungus or dirt. I wouldn't try to clean it unless everyone here shouts me down.

03-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Those are great links. I still can't figure out which ring to try and remove. I have other Taks and the outside ring is the one that comes off. This one is either stuck big time, or I'm missing something.
It's the inner ring marked Super-Multi-Coated. There are then 3 JIS scews to remove the filter ring and 3 flat screws to remove the focusing ring. I didn't disassemble it any further than that. It took me a while to correctly line up the focusing ring when reassembling. It is quite different than the 50/1.4.
03-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Glee I had that lens in K mount and it had the same stuff around that rim. I think it is glue or something, not fungus or dirt. I wouldn't try to clean it unless everyone here shouts me down.
Ya, I think you're right. I did get the plate off once I figured out which one was suppose to come off 1st. Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction.

Do a search on Youtube for this video: PENTAX-M 1:1.4 50mm Cleaning
It shows a guy taking it completely apart & cleaning it.

03-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's the inner ring marked Super-Multi-Coated. There are then 3 JIS scews to remove the filter ring and 3 flat screws to remove the focusing ring. I didn't disassemble it any further than that. It took me a while to correctly line up the focusing ring when reassembling. It is quite different than the 50/1.4.
Thanks, that's what I needed to get it open.

03-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Glee,
If all else fails you could use the information in this link:

Brian Ayling's photographic repair tips
03-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Glee,
If all else fails you could use the information in this link:

Brian Ayling's photographic repair tips
Ouch! If all else fails I'm going to eat the thing. I used my lunch money for the next month to buy it...
03-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Sorry if this link is a bit late:

Takumar Super Multi Coated 35/3.5 disassembly Camerarepair's Blog
03-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not late at all

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote

Thanks for the link.

It would be great if we could get a dis-assembly database on all of these older Pentax lenses. A nice expanded view of each one would be great.
04-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link.

It would be great if we could get a dis-assembly database on all of these older Pentax lenses. A nice expanded view of each one would be great.
No problem. I agree, it would be nice (or at least a sticky thread will all the links people know of). Do let us know how you got on--I'm interested if that really is dust or fungus or something else. One of the reviewers of this lens in the review section has a somewhat similar looking issue with his that looks to be something to do with the paint on the inside tube: S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5 Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

My own copy looks just about the same as his, and while I did not take it apart, I looked very carefully at the issue with the front name-ring removed and came to the conclusion that I was seeing the same thing as he was, and that it wasn't dust or fungus.
04-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

My inner ring is missing a screw on my S-Tak 50 1.4, so it's all wobbly, and I still can't twist the damn outer filter ring off to get to those screw heads to replace the missing screw. (I'm just talking about the narrow outer most 2 rings on the lens.)

This is KILLING me, because it's the best lens in my bag (in my opinion), and I haven't been able to use it for 6 months.

Well, yeah--I can still use it, but the wobbling is too annoying when using hood and CP.

Last edited by Ira; 04-02-2011 at 01:11 PM.
04-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

You have to twist off the outer ring in order to remove the screws on the inner ring.

The problem is, I can't twist that effin' outer ring off. And let's face it--the effin' things have been screwed tight on there for 40 years.

Do I have ONE friend on this site that will do me a favor, that I can trust, that I can send this to and LEAST get the outer ring off?

I'm dying here.

My wife has recently started hating my guts more than usual, so she doesn't care about my problems. Only about 90% of YOU guys feel the same way, so that still leaves 10% who can give me some guidance with this.

When I'm unable to perform as she expects, she thinks it's because she no longer excites me. But the reason is that effin' 50 S_Tak, which occupies my every waking moment.

Last edited by Ira; 04-02-2011 at 01:14 PM.
04-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We're going to have to fix this quick..

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You have to twist off the outer ring in order to remove the screws on the inner ring.

The problem is, I can't twist that effin' outer ring off. And let's face it--the effin' things have been screwed tight on there for 40 years.

Do I have ONE friend on this site that will do me a favor, that I can trust, that I can send this to and LEAST get the outer ring off?

I'm dying here.

My wife has recently started hating my guts more than usual, so she doesn't care about my problems. Only about 90% of YOU guys feel the same way, so that still leaves 10% who can give me some guidance with this.

When I'm unable to perform as she expects, she thinks it's because she no longer excites me. But the reason is that effin' 50 S_Tak, which occupies my every waking moment.
I'm single, but I feel obligated to help you poor married guys out.

I was able to get that outer ring off after reading about every way possible. Here's what I did.

I put a very small dab of WD40 around a few places on the ring.

I then got a medicine bottle that had the same side opening as the ring.

Then got one of those gloves for washing dishes in hot water.

I put the opening of the bottle inside the glove & put it on the ring.

Then I secured the lens, applied a little pressure and twisted it off.