Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lens advice / recommendation

So I've got the 50mm+ range covered decently. I do have a 28mm, but not terribly pleased with it. I'm thinking of getting a lens to help with my bottom end, and thinking of getting a zoom. It will be mounted to my K7. I'll be shooting as a second shooter later this year at an outdoor wedding, and thinking of something weather sealed, just in case. I don't think I need a super high end star lens, but I don't want just a bottom of the line, so hoping someone can point me in the right direction for something decent & weather sealed. I'm assuming only Pentax offers the weather sealing?

03-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well you *could* get the 18-135 which is WR, but I would look at the Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

Not WR, but really high quality, and 1/2 the price of the DA*.
03-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
at the moment the only weather sealed are pentax. for a wedding you will want something better than the WR kit lens (you'll need faster speeds for certain)
The 16-50 meets your needs (though not an inexpensive lens) f2.8 good weather sealing and fast focus. I would stick to new on this lens myself as it is the one the most SDM issues come up on

If you can live without the weather sealing the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is a very good option

Another alternate at a lower price (somewhat) is the 18-135 WR which will give you better reach but is slower without fixed aperture so you will rely more on flash

Sigma has some new WR lenses on the way but it looks like they will all be quite pricey. there is a 12-24 coming from them I have my eye on but i think it's going to be about $1200 (if tsunami damage hasn't delayed release)
03-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I'm curious, if I was to go with the Tamron lens, would the camera / lens be OK in a light rain, or just won't bother to chance it?

03-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One cannot be sure about how much a non-WR setup would be affected by light rain but I can say that I've also had a 16-45 (a non-WR lens) on a K20D in light rain and wind and it seemed to withstand the conditions quite well.

I'd be meticulous, however, with wiping dry the extending barrel of any non-WR lens before retracting it (if we're talking of non-internally focusing lenses like the DA 16-45).
03-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
would the camera / lens be OK in a light rain
There are very cheap and effective rain sleeves..so why take the chance ??
The Tammy has a great reputation (i got the 28-75 f2.8 and i love it!)...
If you want something wider you can read all the different threads discussing the pentax 12-24, sigma 10-20 and Tamron 10-24, some people talk a lot about these UWA when talking about weddings...
If 17 is ok for you seriously consider the Tammy, it's difficult to beat it given the price tag it has (you can see lots of shots in the Tammy club : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/31955-tammy-club.html).