Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Inexpensive, quality AF lenses

I'm curious if there are any bargain used autofocus lenses out there, in terms of price vs quality, in the $50-$150 range? Don't have to be primes, but must be AF. Basically, what is out there that's really really cheap on eBay, but still worth picking up?

Right now I've got the kit 55-300mm, kit 18-55m, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, and an utterly craptacular Sigma UC-II 28-105mm.

Not interested in manual focus lenses, I have my fill of fuzzy shots, I need AF.

Thanks.

Charles.

03-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my F35-70 for 30usd, or may be it's a FA. Slow, but tiny. Pick it up from time to time for a day walk.
I think you got your range covered.
It's hard to find AF prime in this price range ;-)
03-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey, your 55-300, 28-75 is much expensive than $150 and covered pretty much most focal range..So why you go backward seeking a less expensive one?? What is your need for it?
03-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Need? No real need, but if there's an inexpensive lens that's good quality out there, why NOT buy it and try it out?

Charles.

03-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Save your money. 200 will get you the F 50mm 1.7. Another one to try would be the DA L 35mm 2.4. Or you could go for the F 28mm 2.8.

As far as zooms are concerned, the only thing I could think of is replacing the kit with the 16-45. Will also cost you over 200.

The only sub 200 options I can think of in the zoom category, you already have covered well.
03-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most of the F series is good. In the $50-150 range look for the 24-50, 35-70, 35-105, 35-135, and 70-210. The F24-50/4 really stands out. Not quite as wide as the kit, but a constant f/4.
03-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The Tamron (Pentax / Promaster) 28-105mm 1:4-5.6 should be something like $50-100 and is quite decent for that sort of price.

03-21-2011, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I'm curious if there are any bargain used autofocus lenses out there, in terms of price vs quality, in the $50-$150 range? Don't have to be primes, but must be AF. Basically, what is out there that's really really cheap on eBay, but still worth picking up?

Right now I've got the kit 55-300mm, kit 18-55m, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, and an utterly craptacular Sigma UC-II 28-105mm.

Not interested in manual focus lenses, I have my fill of fuzzy shots, I need AF.

Thanks.

Charles.
you already have a set of OK'ish AF zooms - I do not think that you will find something used for less than $150 used that will be noticeably better than your kits 18-55 + 55-300, even not talking about 28-75/2.8... constant 2.8 or 4 AF zooms where you can see a difference will be at least $200-300 range (unless in a very used condition)
03-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you're going for cheap, don't worry ahead of time about quality, just buy it. That's how I got a great F35-70 for US$11 and a Promaster (Tamron) 28-70 for US$10. If you get it cheap and don't like it, wait a month and re-sell it at for a profit. That's how I do my lens-trading. Just scan eBay LOTS and camera listings, find sales where a few lenses are offered, with or without a camera. Many kit-lens replacements can be found embedded on old cameras. Buy the package, sell off everything you don't want, use the proceeds to buy more stuff. Repeat forever.

The trick is to keep your bids within your comfort zone, plus US$5. You see a Sigma 28-80. You say to yourself, "I'd go US$15 for that." It starts at five bucks. You bid six, and wait. A minute before the auction ends, bid up to US$20.20. If you get it, great. If not, there will always be another one. Or five. It's not like these are uncommon. Just be careful when bidding on several different but similar lenses at the same time -- you might win them ALL!!
03-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If you're going for cheap, don't worry ahead of time about quality, just buy it. That's how I got a great F35-70 for US$11 and a Promaster (Tamron) 28-70 for US$10. If you get it cheap and don't like it, wait a month and re-sell it at for a profit. That's how I do my lens-trading. Just scan eBay LOTS and camera listings, find sales where a few lenses are offered, with or without a camera. Many kit-lens replacements can be found embedded on old cameras. Buy the package, sell off everything you don't want, use the proceeds to buy more stuff. Repeat forever.

The trick is to keep your bids within your comfort zone, plus US$5. You see a Sigma 28-80. You say to yourself, "I'd go US$15 for that." It starts at five bucks. You bid six, and wait. A minute before the auction ends, bid up to US$20.20. If you get it, great. If not, there will always be another one. Or five. It's not like these are uncommon. Just be careful when bidding on several different but similar lenses at the same time -- you might win them ALL!!
RioRico, I think this is an efficient instruction manual for fueling moderately economical LBA...

...but my advice to the OP would be just not to buy cheap lenses for the heck of it, especially if you've already got the FL covered with something better. +1 to everyone who's said save the money and put it towards better lenses down the road.
03-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
...but my advice to the OP would be just not to buy cheap lenses for the heck of it, especially if you've already got the FL covered with something better. +1 to everyone who's said save the money and put it towards better lenses down the road.
My system isn't buying lenses for the hell of it (I tell myself) but for the experience and the turnaround. And the lucky scores. (I've acquired some really nice lenses this way, cheap.) Don't approach these as keepers, but as waypoints, as object lessons. Get a feel of what different brands offer. Keep the best, sell the rest.

And turning them around (for a profit) *IS* putting money "towards better lenses down the road" as you suggest. My profit margin has been ~80%, nearly doubling my money, which lets me splurge occasionally on something not-so-cheap.
03-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you can find a Quantaray 24mm f/2.8, that's a rebadged Sigma Super-Wide II. Quite a good performer for <$200.
03-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My system isn't buying lenses for the hell of it (I tell myself) but for the experience and the turnaround. And the lucky scores. (I've acquired some really nice lenses this way, cheap.) Don't approach these as keepers, but as waypoints, as object lessons. Get a feel of what different brands offer. Keep the best, sell the rest.

And turning them around (for a profit) *IS* putting money "towards better lenses down the road" as you suggest. My profit margin has been ~80%, nearly doubling my money, which lets me splurge occasionally on something not-so-cheap.
I'm not criticizing your lens purchases Rio. In fact I often enjoy the insight and appreciation for subtle lens characteristics your optical promiscuity brings to the table. My sense though was that the OP is doing it for "why not?" reasons, and I can't help but think "why not save for a lens you really want?"
03-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I'm not criticizing your lens purchases Rio. In fact I often enjoy the insight and appreciation for subtle lens characteristics your optical promiscuity brings to the table. My sense though was that the OP is doing it for "why not?" reasons, and I can't help but think "why not save for a lens you really want?"
Sometimes, the why not try it route leads to the really want lenses and often at a net cost of next to nothing (or in some cases, Less than nothing). You have to be willing to play the market so to speak though.

03-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm at a point where my LBA has nearly reached a standstill, and it's pretty much solely because I've already tried every lens I wanted to try.