Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Macro...rings, ext tubes, lens

I have been interested in macro photography for a while so i got some close up rings. They work alright but i have to get so close and with wildlife, its just to close for comfort. i cant really afford a macro lens right now although i do plan on getting one when the right one comes along. So would ext tubes be better and get me further away from my subject? Thanks

10-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

your question puts people into a catch 22 situation. Macro-pretty much by definition puts one up-close and personal with wildlife. The 'filter' style and the extension style do the same deed in slightly different fashion, but (more or less) require an up-close POV. But even then it's not really different from a dedicated macro lens. Until you get macro capability and long focal length--but again, only to a point.

I think you could help us help you by stating your subject and expectations.

QuoteOriginally posted by ronald_durst Quote
I have been interested in macro photography for a while so i got some close up rings. They work alright but i have to get so close and with wildlife, its just to close for comfort. i cant really afford a macro lens right now although i do plan on getting one when the right one comes along. So would ext tubes be better and get me further away from my subject? Thanks
10-23-2007, 09:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
well

Well id like to get at least 1:1 of insects, my snakes heads, flowers. Just the normal stuff. The other day i tried to shoot a tree frog and ended up chasing it away because i had to almost be touching it to get focused with the ring. Same thing with spiders. maybe at least 6 inches from the subject?
10-24-2007, 12:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well id like to get at least 1:1 of insects, my snakes heads, flowers. Just the normal stuff. The other day i tried to shoot a tree frog and ended up chasing it away because i had to almost be touching it to get focused with the ring. Same thing with spiders. maybe at least 6 inches from the subject?
If you find yourself too close, you need a longer focal length lens in order to back off.

This shot of a tiny frog (about one inch long) was taken from a distance of somewhere between eight inches and one foot with a 105mm lens:

If I had tried that with a 50mm lens I would have had to be so close that he no doubt would have leapt to safety.

10-24-2007, 02:07 AM   #5
Igilligan

Hey ronald... another option for cheap macro shots until you can afford a dedicated macro lens is to use a close up lens with your 200mm tele.
I took some shots with a DA 50-200 and a sony 3358 on the front of it. A raynox 150 or 250 would work too or any of the decent macro adaptor lenses. It is not a perfect answer but you are about 12 - 15 inches away from your subject...

this is all it is really...

The raynox clip on and the sony/canons screw on so depending on the size of your tele's filter thread you may need a step up or down adaptor.... but these are good enough for me right now... at least till I rob a bank and get the real thing.
-gus-
10-24-2007, 02:14 AM   #6
and
Veteran Member

If going the close up filter route, I would recommend the Canon or Nikon closeup filters over the cheaper 1-element ones such as the set from hoya etc. Altho I dont think this will give you 1:1 at least not in all situations... I am not good with the math so someone else fill in, of course the closeup filters come in different dioters (strengths) but, like teleconverters, they generally degade in quality as they get more powerfull.
10-24-2007, 03:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another option could be to get a bellows and a 135mm lens. I picked up an M42 screwmount bellows for $15 then a Soligor 135mm f2.8 for $20 and an adaptor ring (with the collar which doesn't matter for this and a T mount works well also) for $9 on Ebay. These are often overlooked and work very well. The longer the lens the further you can get from the subject. With a 50mm you will be about 2-4 inches from the subject and with the 135mm 12+ inches depending on how far you extend the bellows. You could even get a cheap 200mm and get even further back. Just get a dual rail unit so it can handle the lens weight.

Some of this may help as well:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/11161-answer-macro-question.html
10-24-2007, 03:29 AM   #8
Igilligan

dont get the cheap ones

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
If going the close up filter route, I would recommend the Canon or Nikon closeup filters over the cheaper 1-element ones such as the set from hoya etc. Altho I dont think this will give you 1:1 at least not in all situations... I am not good with the math so someone else fill in, of course the closeup filters come in different dioters (strengths) but, like teleconverters, they generally degade in quality as they get more powerfull.

I agree, dont get the cheap ones. The Canon 250 D, or the Sony 3358 that I have are nice glass. Just dont get the cheapies on ebay. A total waste IMO.
Also the more strength the smaller the dof is... and it gets really narrow. The raynox 250 is tough at full telephoto...
This was with my fuji s6000 at 300mm and raynox 250, but you can see how shallow the DOF is. The mouth, saliva and eyes are in focus but everything slightly behind and in front is a blur... the raynox 150 might be better for DOF.

Good luck
-gus-

10-24-2007, 05:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was going to post this picture in the post your photos forum but this might be a better place. This was taken with a M135/3.5 with 48mm worth of extension tubes. The fly is 2" long and the front of the lens was 22" from the fly.

10-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

i'll go along with the tubes and longer lens. here's a 135/2.5 with 36mm ET.. about 1:3 and about 20'' distant.

and a 200/4 with 63mm ETs, still about 1:3 but 30'' distant. i really like both of these setups.

or get real crazy with a 105/2.5 macro and 63mm ETs and a 2x TC. about a foot away from cam body and about 4-5:1 mag.

here's that setup sans a grip that it all was mounted on.

or just a 105/2.5

we've probaly got you really mixed up now.

cheers,
10-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
Igilligan

So Ronald... what did you get... tubes? rev adaptors? macro lens?
10-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #12

Original Poster
SO

Actually i started playing with my +4 close up filter on my 28-200. i was able to get close enough to focus but not to close. I just bought a 135mm so i might get some tubes for that. Not sure.....I just woke up from a nap.....