Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #16

Original Poster
Okay, the sun has finally come out so I could get outside and stop taking photos of beer bottles inside my room. I went ahead and stopped it down to f/2 and WOW this is what I was expecting of the lens. These are just test shots from the parking lot at my work, so not the best subject matter but I would say at f/2 they look great and they show that it is definitely super-sharp in the plane of focus.

Auto focus on the corner of the pole. I think the K5 nailed it.

I would rate my work parking lot under noon lighting as pretty "ugly" but wow if a lens can render shots this beautifully, I think I'm sold.

03-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a painting . Congrats!
03-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #18

Original Poster
Just want to say thanks again for all the quick responses. I've been lurking here for a while so it's pretty humbling to have so many people who I think take great photos respond to answer these questions. I think the information provided was very useful, especially about the comparisons to the other FAs and the trade-offs on sharpness/OOF at f/1.8 vs f/2 and higher.

Based on these shots and the information here, I think I will stick with f/2 or higher when sharpness is a priority and save f/1.8 for those creative moments where the OOF area is the primary attraction.
03-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've seen some really nice models shots at 1.8. They are soft but it really only enhanced the photo.

03-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With nearly any faster lens, you really want to stay off that widest stop or half-stop, if at all practicable, or unless there's a specific reason to the contrary. The FA 31 is a full-frame, fast, *little* wide-angle that happens to be freaking brilliant, but, yeah, nothing's quite so fire-and-forget *that* wide open.

I have always been a fast-lens fiend, and I'm not even big on wafer-thin DOF to actually shoot at. (But for an autofocus resister whose eyes aren't what they once were, the faster the better. Precision focus in low light. My old Canon FD kit centers on mostly an 85 1.8 and a 50 1.2, and a 35/2. )

The Sigma 28/1.8 I use to do the job that'll hopefully be mostly-filled by one of those is very nice on a lot of technical points, but is twice the girth, and I think just doesn't have quite as much 'life' to it as those 31s. Probably would do a great job on that bottle shot, though, sharpnesswise. Actually has a lot of qualities that are exactly what I'd have asked for, though. I actually really like it anyway, but the size does tend to cramp my style a lot (And the full-frame is actually of use to me: I'm never without a film body when I carry my Pentax kit. )
03-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Of the FA Limiteds, the 77 is sharp wide open, the 43 is sharp wide open at some focusing distances but not as sharp as the 77, and the 31 is probably the softest of the bunch but has the most "character."

In my experience, anyway.

They'll all cut like diamonds stopped down.
totally agree on all of these accounts with you here
03-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #22
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hramat Quote
Obviously f/1.8 is not as sharp as the other apertures

Image taken from: www.photozone.de test report

Do some tests outside to get natural light. Tungsten light might be an issue
The difference is VERY BIG. Almost 400 LW/PH between 1.8 and 2.8.
03-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The difference is VERY BIG. Almost 400 LW/PH between 1.8 and 2.8.
As posted earlier by others and also on the report behind the link. The LW/PH for f/1.8 is very good.

03-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I consider the 31 Limited to be the best lens that I own (excluding my Zeiss Contax G lenses.) It is ever so slightly soft at f1.8, which is to be expected at maximum aperture. If you have not properly calibrated your lens, then you may be seeing some focusing inaccuracy in combination with very shallow DOF. I would also add that there is more to lens quality than sharpness. Some of the best and most prized lenses are not the absolute sharpest, yet they have rendering qualities that produce uniquely beautiful images.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 03-25-2011 at 07:55 AM.
03-25-2011, 02:27 AM   #25
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hramat Quote
As posted earlier by others and also on the report behind the link. The LW/PH for f/1.8 is very good.
Yes. But the same situation with FA43. f2 is better than f1.9