Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #1

Should I buy a Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70 2.6-2.8?

Hi,

As the title states I have a chance to buy that Tokina for $150. I currently have a K-r with DA L 18-55 kit lens. I was hoping someone here had some experience with this lens and could steer me one way or another. My main reason for wanting it is to have a fairly cheap and much faster replacement for my kit lens. I might miss the wide angle but I can always keep the kit when that is needed. Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron

03-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Aaron.

For this price tag and the reason mentioned ('much faster replacement for my kit lens') it's a must to buy. Moreover, if you do not like it's flaws (like significant contrast decrease when strong light source hits the front element at oblique angle) you can just keep it as a collection item - google a little to study Tokina-Angenieux history.

Bottom line: man, go for it!

Good luck,
Zig
03-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Zig has nailed it. For me it would be a no brainer if I didn't already have a 24-70 2.8 Sigma. Very useful to have the faster lens and the longer length will give you a nice reasonably fast portrait lens.
Aside from some contrast dropoff as mentioned (easily dealt with in post in any case) no reason not to grab it (and if you hate it you can always sell it on for the same or more)

reviews are below BTW

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/Tokina-AT-X-Pro-28-70mm-F2.6-2.8-for-Pentax.html
03-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys,

I guess I just wanted to be reassured. Are you saying though that the contrast dropoff is a lot from the kit lens? I'm new to a lot of this so I'm no sure if this would be a big factor for me or not.

03-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

the contrast dropoff with oblique light is the Tokina, but not generally an issue. in any case all contrast issues are easily dealt with in post if you shoot raw
03-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by A10B Quote
Hi,

As the title states I have a chance to buy that Tokina for $150. I currently have a K-r with DA L 18-55 kit lens. I was hoping someone here had some experience with this lens and could steer me one way or another. My main reason for wanting it is to have a fairly cheap and much faster replacement for my kit lens. I might miss the wide angle but I can always keep the kit when that is needed. Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron
As a replacement, you will lose all the wide angle. 28mm is nearly "normal". You will want to complement it with a 12-24 :-)
03-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
As a replacement, you will lose all the wide angle. 28mm is nearly "normal". You will want to complement it with a 12-24 :-)
That's pretty diffused opinion. I'm stuck with the following setup: 15-ish lim and 28-80/2.8 AT-X AT280PRO. I also have some 50-55mm fast primes but I don't feel I really need them since I do not do any much portrait work. Probably, the next lens to be ordered will be 200-ish star (200/2.8 SDM) and fast 35mm (=50-55 effective aka NORMAL) prime.

Bottom line: yes, on APS-C you'll loose wide angle with 28-smth zoom but I do not recommend adding wide angle zoom for wide end, IMO it's better to go with prime. Or use 18-55 from the kit whatever budget you're on.

Zig

P.S.
Back to original question of topic-starter: Aaron, dude, you should already have bought that copy while we're (and will be) going on with wide-end solutions and prime-vs-zoom holywar on this thread!

03-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #8

Eddie,
there were several generations of this lens (yes, I'm talking about 2.6-2.8, not those 28-70/2.8 that had three to six versions reported by different sources) and those reviews can not be considered to be ... uhm... precise. It must be admitted that PF reviews do not cover Tokina products any good. Superficial at it's best.

Zig
03-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey Zig, True effective normal based on the sensor Diagonal is actually 30 or so (the FA 31 is as close to perfect as it gets). just as the FA 43 was pretty much the perfect normal for 35mm film (and the reason for the oddball size in the first place)
I live with the 28 as a slightly wide normal myself the grand for the FA31 being beyond current reach and the sigma being just too damn big and heavy no matter how nice it is (price is right though and faster than the FA)
03-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Siegfried Quote
Eddie,
there were several generations of this lens (yes, I'm talking about 2.6-2.8, not those 28-70/2.8 that had three to six versions reported by different sources) and those reviews can not be considered to be ... uhm... precise. It must be admitted that PF reviews do not cover Tokina products any good. Superficial at it's best.

Zig
thanks

the issue being so few Tokina out there so it's hard o build a good DB, too bad they don't make the current lineup in Pentax mount, there are a few i would look at

I think the best reviews here are always for the Pentax line. the Sigma and Tamron suffer the same multi version under one thread fate a lot of the time
03-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think the best reviews here are always for the Pentax line. the Sigma and Tamron suffer the same multi version under one thread fate a lot of the time
Eddie,
agreed. The best nikkor reviews should be found on nikkonforums.com

I'd expect that it's Konica-Minolta-Sony forums that should cover Tokina products better then other system forums.

Zig

P.S.
BTW, I just finished AF280PRO review here on PF, FWIW...
03-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #12

I am in a similar situation and could use some advice. I can pick up a slightly different version of the lens (the Tokina AF 28-70 3.5-4.6) for around $50 and I'm not sure if it is much of an upgrade (if at all) OR different enough in the pics it takes to justify shelling out the cash? Any thoughts?
03-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jwc77 Quote
I am in a similar situation and could use some advice. I can pick up a slightly different version of the lens (the Tokina AF 28-70 3.5-4.6) for around $50 and I'm not sure if it is much of an upgrade (if at all) OR different enough in the pics it takes to justify shelling out the cash? Any thoughts?

Well, that's not *slightly different.* That's a whole other lens.

The old Tokina AT-Xes were great lenses for their time, especially compared to most third-=party zooms.

That said, as third-party zooms go, Tokina's a brand I always liked. I lost track of them in AF film days, along with everything else, but I suspect that with that lens you can't hope for a brilliant 'upgrade.'

Worth 50 bucks? Maybe. If the differences are what you happen to need/want and you dont' want to spend any more. Good choice, I suspect, if you want *any* film-format kittey lens. Don't know if you'd call it an upgrade, though, it's likely to be a bit better, and a bit faster, at the longer end than your current kit lens, anyway. I happen to like that sort of range pretty well on crop, but since they were the old kit zoom type, sometimes even there to undercut the prices on manufacturers' kit zooms, they vary pretty wildly in quality. The fact it's a bit faster than usual at the long end may mean you get some better quality for the general breed, though.

If you really want 'upgrade' you might be happier with something more current in upgrade, depending on what you desire to have be better. If you're willing to spend a few hundred, for instance.
03-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #14

Original Poster
I'm actually hesitant to grab this lens as I've read a lot just now about it being very soft at 2.8. Am I wrong in thinking whats the point of getting this fast lens if it doesn't shoot well wide open?
03-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For that price why not try it? I think you can make some profit if you decide to sell it later.