Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I think in this case I'd much rather buy a new lens than search out a used one and pay a premium for it.

However, the FA77 is a good alternative to the new Sigma and old Pentax if the extra bit of light gathering and range isn't a necessity.
I would think that the FA77 would become more appealing if it's priced at $650. honestly, it is very tempting, but I would still go for the Sigma.

03-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pricing is interesting. The 25 year old M85/2 is more money than the new Rokinon. For $100 more (Ebay BIN), you get a used lens, no A setting and a stop slower aperture, but you do get 15cm closer focus, compact body and it is a Pentax.
03-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #78
Veteran Member

M85 eats your lunch, Samyang!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Pricing is interesting. The 25 year old M85/2 is more money than the new Rokinon. For $100 more (Ebay BIN), you get a used lens, no A setting and a stop slower aperture, but you do get 15cm closer focus, compact body and it is a Pentax.
My M 85 f/2 will mop the floor with any Samyang/Rokinon/Whatever 85!

Actually I did own one of these for a few days, but it was stuck at f/1.4, so it went back. It's a little over twice as heavy and about twice as long as the M 85 f/2 - for me, that's a big deal.

Optically, it seems like a nice lens... But a solid little M 85 f/2 on a solid little K-7 or K-5 for example just seems like a better combo to be out snapping with.

Crop:

That Sigma 85 f1.4 looks like a winner, but again, the 77ltd is much smaller and would tend to go with me more places.

03-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Actually I did own one of these for a few days, but it was stuck at f/1.4, so it went back. It's a little over twice as heavy and about twice as long as the M 85 f/2 - for me, that's a big deal.

Optically, it seems like a nice lens... But a solid little M 85 f/2 on a solid little K-7 or K-5 for example just seems like a better combo to be out snapping with.

That Sigma 85 f1.4 looks like a winner, but again, the 77ltd is much smaller and would tend to go with me more places.

I was wondering when you'd chime in Jay

I own the M 85mm, and have absolutely NO desire for the samyang

That sigma on the other hand

(jay you might have just convinced me to pull out the M 85mm again poor thing has just been sitting on my desk while the new toys get all of my love )

03-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #80
Veteran Member

I owned the M85 briefly and just didn't get along with it. Maybe it was a bad copy, I dunno.
03-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Except at f/1.4 presumably
03-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by karma mechanic Quote
Except at f/1.4 presumably
What about the K85f1.8 compare to the Samyang?
and compare with the Sigma f1.4 HSM, @1.8 and @f2.0 ?

03-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'm not aware of the pricing of the M85 nowadays, but I got mine for $200 about a year ago. the out of focus rendering is great honestly speaking. I can only imagine the rendering if it were f1.4. very sharp and contrasty. also, I love the vivid colors. too bad the blue fringing at wider apertures can really be annoying. but for B&W, it is quite of a powerhouse. if I ever get the Sigma in the future, I would have to see if would still be worth keeping.
03-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I owned the M85 briefly and just didn't get along with it. Maybe it was a bad copy, I dunno.
what was the problem?
03-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
what was the problem?
Soft(ish) wide open, some blooming, difficult to focus, and purple fringing.

edit: it was serviced twice, once before I got it and once after, so maybe something was knocked off-kilter--but it didn't seem drastically bad, just not quite to my taste.
03-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Soft(ish) wide open, some blooming, difficult to focus, and purple fringing.

edit: it was serviced twice, once before I got it and once after, so maybe something was knocked off-kilter--but it didn't seem drastically bad, just not quite to my taste.
I see. soft(ish) wide open and difficult to focus? that could be due to it being serviced. lens should be ok-sharp wide open. blooming is normal for this lens so no surprise there, as well as pf. wouldn't blame the lens since this was made for BW film portraits 30 years ago I believe. so any corrections weren't applied yet? softness could be also a rendering effect as well. the FA77 is not as bad as the M85 though and it seems pretty corrected in a way (particularly blooming), but still displays some considerable pf and occasional harsh CA.
03-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I see. soft(ish) wide open and difficult to focus? that could be due to it being serviced. lens should be ok-sharp wide open. blooming is normal for this lens so no surprise there, as well as pf. wouldn't blame the lens since this was made for BW film portraits 30 years ago I believe. so any corrections weren't applied yet? softness could be also a rendering effect as well. the FA77 is not as bad as the M85 though and it seems pretty corrected in a way (particularly blooming), but still displays some considerable pf and occasional harsh CA.
When I say difficult to focus, I don't mean mechanically... I mean optically. Might have been my eyes more than the lens.
03-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #88
Veteran Member

K85 vs. Samyang 85 vs. FA77 IMHO

I have the three in my hand. Psychologically, FA77 wins hands down. What a beauty, what a cutie, and what an expensive lens!

In my real life use, FA77 still wins on IMQ, but by only a margin and only for a Pentax fan who has extra cash.

Resolution wise, FA is ever so slightly superior to Samyang at f1.8. FA improves rapidly in IMQ at f2 and becomes blazingly sharp after f3.5. Samyang only improves gradually and can not compete with FA at smaller apertures if you really blow the picture up. However, This does not suggest that Samyang is a slouch. K85 is comparable to FA77 in near distance at f1.8. FA77 is better in longer distance.

Caveats: Samyang has a more recent design for the digital age and handles PF and CA slightly better at largest apertures. K85 shows more CA, especially in longer distance. But I like the soft feeling of K85 at f1.8. It is especially good for portraits. FA77 has slightly more contrast than Samyang at largest apertures which is important in low light photography.

So what is the punchline?

Samyang wins for overall value, for f1.4, and for people can live with MF. K85 wins for me as a K collector, as a portrait shooter and as someone who likes to shoot f1.8 (can function as aperture priority at f1.8). FA77 wins for the rest.

BTW, the usability of f1.4 is limited because it is really hard to focus. It is nearly impossible to focus on moving subjects at f1.4 no matter AF or MF. I am sure the same issue is pertinent to the Sigma.

Last edited by yyyzzz; 03-25-2011 at 01:18 AM.
03-25-2011, 12:57 AM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by yyyzzz Quote
Samyang only improves gradually and can not compete with FA at smaller apertures if you really blow the picture up.
It is worth noting that the Samyang has a focus shift on stopping down, so focussing at 1.4 (as we usually do) does not give optimal focus at smaller apertures.

See: Samyang 85mm f/1.4 Usage Note/Important tips: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
03-25-2011, 01:15 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Great point!

I suspect that the effect if exists would be smaller for K85 or FA77.

Even after taking these into consideration, the resolution seems still inferior to FA77 at f3.5 or smaller. I have not tried apertures smaller than f11.