Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #106
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
I had it pre-ordered for $810 at Abe's of Maine almost a year ago when they used to discount all Sigma's 10%. Not sure if they would have honored that, but I think they probably would have. They are currently selling it for $939 after you put it in your cart.

03-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #107
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
I might get one next month. I still have to ask permission though.
03-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #108
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I might get one next month. I still have to ask permission though.
please keep us up to date! I want to see some pentax samples!
03-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #109
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
please keep us up to date! I want to see some pentax samples!
we'll see. aside from a permission, I'm also seriously contemplating on which system I would get one for.

03-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #110
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
we'll see. aside from a permission, I'm also seriously contemplating on which system I would get one for.
still debating the sigma body?
03-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #111
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
still debating the sigma body?
Yeah or a Full-Frame.
03-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #112
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,761
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm not aware of the pricing of the M85 nowadays, but I got mine for $200 about a year ago. the out of focus rendering is great honestly speaking. I can only imagine the rendering if it were f1.4. very sharp and contrasty. also, I love the vivid colors. too bad the blue fringing at wider apertures can really be annoying. but for B&W, it is quite of a powerhouse. if I ever get the Sigma in the future, I would have to see if would still be worth keeping.
Like so many of the better M lenses, it has increased. It is $300 now for a "Bargain" grade at KEH. I've been tempted by the M85 several times. The biggest drawback for me is no wireless P-TTL flash, and how much do I need just 8 more mm over the FA77 if it is not faster?
03-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #113
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Yeah or a Full-Frame.
this lens on FF = incredible. if you can afford it, nothing will beat that DOF control

03-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #114
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Like so many of the better M lenses, it has increased. It is $300 now for a "Bargain" grade at KEH. I've been tempted by the M85 several times. The biggest drawback for me is no wireless P-TTL flash, and how much do I need just 8 more mm over the FA77 if it is not faster?
WOW !$300 for a bargain grade? I do understand the need for P-TTL wireless and the great convenience it gives. but for the 8mm difference, I seem to prefer the focal length magnification of the 85mm like how it displays facial features and rendering of individuals. this maybe negligible for a few people especially if FOV was concerned. I'm not aware if your need for faster aperture is for speed or DOF, but if it's for DOF, the difference between the two would be more on the character rather than the depth itself. both lenses display great and different out of focus character and I don't think anyone could go wrong with either lenses. maybe the FA77 has advantage for functionality (AF) and some corrections over the M85, the M85 however has this certain look that shows in an 85mm.
03-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #115
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
WOW !$300 for a bargain grade? I do understand the need for P-TTL wireless and the great convenience it gives. but for the 8mm difference, I seem to prefer the focal length magnification of the 85mm like how it displays facial features and rendering of individuals. this maybe negligible for a few people especially if FOV was concerned. I'm not aware if your need for faster aperture is for speed or DOF, but if it's for DOF, the difference between the two would be more on the character rather than the depth itself. both lenses display great and different out of focus character and I don't think anyone could go wrong with either lenses. maybe the FA77 has advantage for functionality (AF) and some corrections over the M85, the M85 however has this certain look that shows in an 85mm.
I was always under the impression that KEH was really only used if you needed/wanted X lens and didn't feel like dealing with ebay since the price was always lised far above normal ebay prices. Im pretty sure one can still get M 85mm's for the mid to low $200's if they can live without a picture perfect exterior wise copy (light marks on the aperture ring, etc.)
03-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #116
Pentaxian
hoanpham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Strand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,360
$300 ?? Can't be. There are several buy-it-now on ebay
- takumar 85 f1.9 for approx $300
- M85 $245
03-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #117
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
someone should definitely jump on this:
SMC PENTAX-M 85mm Lens f2 | eBay

I paid about the same for mine (thanks a lot Jay! ), but this comes with the hood

Worth every penny IMO
03-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #118
Pentaxian
hoanpham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Strand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,360
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
someone should definitely jump on this:
SMC PENTAX-M 85mm Lens f2 | eBay
I think all the hype about 85mm from this forum drives the price of M85 up. It comes with UV filter too ;-) Very nice piece. I would jump on it if I am not already own this lens. I m missing the hood too.
03-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #119
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I think all the hype about 85mm from this forum drives the price of M85 up. It comes with UV filter too ;-) Very nice piece. I would jump on it if I am not already own this lens. I m missing the hood too.
I've got two of them

(the hood that is )
03-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #120
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I've got two of them

(the hood that is )
send me the other one.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
fa, game, k-mount, lens, lenses, macro, pentax, pentax lens, release, sigma, slr lens, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma 85mm f1.4 cameraboy Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 12-10-2010 02:34 PM
Sigma 85mm f1.4 yusuf Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 10-14-2010 07:45 PM
Game Changer? techmulla Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 49 09-09-2010 03:14 AM
Sigma 85mm/1.4 EX DG maxwell1295 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 02-25-2010 08:19 PM
Adorama Labels the K7 a "System Changer" Tom S. Pentax News and Rumors 41 06-08-2009 09:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top