Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SMC is nice for skin tones.

However I'm not so picky because I enjoy post-processing.

Discontinued lenses go one of two ways:

"Cult" status - only pay if you are a collector.

"Forgotten" status - really. good. deals.

If a lens isn't forgotten by time, it often makes sense to buy the modern alternative for a host of reasons. PP will make up for most subtle differences (IMHO).

03-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
It's just my personal choice of color results.

I have a calibrated monitor, neutral everything in-camera, two K20d bodies, one with sigma lens, one with pentax lens, then shoot at the same location same time with same color temperature.

I currently have 7 sigma lenses that I keep; sold several of them earlier due to duplicates, but have 30+ pentax lenses. If you give me one single photo, I can't tell the different. Perhaps I trained my self to like color rending of smc better?
what I have noticed is that Sigma's in general are more in the colder side of rendering.
03-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
what I have noticed is that Sigma's in general are more in the colder side of rendering.
my sigma 105mm is the complete opposite
03-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #49
Pentaxian

I read somewhere in a Canon or Nikon forum that the Sigma 85 was really week wide open to the point where it wasn't worth using at 1.4. When I first saw the ads for it I was quite interested in this lens. But really , I know nothing, but that with my Tamron 90 being so close in focal length it's likely the Sigma 85 will probably never get in to the game, forget about be a game changer.

03-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I read somewhere in a Canon or Nikon forum that the Sigma 85 was really week wide open to the point where it wasn't worth using at 1.4. When I first saw the ads for it I was quite interested in this lens. But really , I know nothing, but that with my Tamron 90 being so close in focal length it's likely the Sigma 85 will probably never get in to the game, forget about be a game changer.

Um, have you seen the samples?

Its appears to be easily one of the sharpest fast lenses I have EVER seen wideopen.
03-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Um, have you seen the samples?

Its appears to be easily one of the sharpest fast lenses I have EVER seen wideopen.

Tru' dat! I'd say that was sour grapes from someone who probably just bought a twice-as-expensive (or more) Canon or Nikon equivalent. Or perhaps a moron. Perhaps both.
03-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #52
Veteran Member

this is more like believing an old wives' tale. I dunno where you got your reference or if there are any samples that support such claim, but the overwhelming majority from either camps have proven it to be sharp wide open. I have even provided some links and images posted by owners of the Sigma how sharp it really is. so it's hard to believe that one would easily take someone else's word without proof. whoever started that rumor or report is more likely spreading false information which does not give justice to those who inquire about the lens. if there was some complaints regarding the Sigma, it would be more on a few lemons that have focusing problems.

03-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I read quite a bit over at POTN (Canon forums) as well, and as Pentaxor has suggested, and they seem really, really pleased with the Sigma 85/1.4. It is widely acknowledged to be way better than the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, and many people (including people who have tried both lenses) are saying it is just as good as the EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM. There's a ~150 page thread over there with plenty of sample images, on both APS-C and Full Frame, and it looks to be a gem of a lens.

The main issues that the Canon users seem to be having are AF issues, and focus calibration issues, which seems to be a general thing with Canon bodies + Sigma lenses; I don't think Sigma has perfected the reverse engineering of the Canon EF protocols.

I also have a Tamron 90mm, the Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro, and yes, the focal length between the Tamron and the Sigma are similar, but they are different lenses, suited for different uses; the Tamron can't go any faster than f2.8, and the Sigma won't be able to do 1:1 macro, or focus as close. I am in no hurry to get it, but I do see myself owning the Sigma 85/1.4 HSM by the end of the year.
03-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
The main issues that the Canon users seem to be having are AF issues, and focus calibration issues, which seems to be a general thing with Canon bodies + Sigma lenses; I don't think Sigma has perfected the reverse engineering of the Canon EF protocols.
That is a pain for Canon users indeed. On top of it Canon bodied do not allow to use AF microadjustment for Sigma lenses. For what I know first way of Canon shooter with new Sigma glass is to Sigma service center to readjust the AF accuracy. But it is never perfect. For my K-mount Sigmas at least the microadjustment works, though their reverse engineering of the Pentax bayonet is also far from perfect.
Would it kill them to make the lenses properly?
03-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #55
Veteran Member

From the example's ive seen the sigma 85 looks pretty sharp wide open, but then again so does the fa*85 and the 77 is also very sharp wide open, would like to see a shoot out between the 3.
03-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Actually, from what I've seen, I'm questioning whether AF is worth $800. That Samyang/Rokinon, etc. looked as good as anything from this range.
03-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Actually, from what I've seen, I'm questioning whether AF is worth $800. That Samyang/Rokinon, etc. looked as good as anything from this range.
Yes, that went through my mind as well. I shoot a lot of kids and animals, though, so AF is probably a must-have for me, at least for a lens that I would specifically be buying for "work." That "half-breed" definitely looks like a bargain and a half, though.
03-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I'm in agreement that the focal length between the 85mm and 90mm is negligible. I do love my 90mm (from being a macro, general / candid tele and portrait tele), but it's inability to go much faster than f2.5 is another thing that has crossed my mind. my 90mm is already great at wide open and I can only imagine and salivate the DOF if it were only f1.4.
03-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
this was the main reason why I sold my Rokinon. not to mention I struggled with it manually and the 1m focusing didn't help much as well.
03-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #60
Veteran Member

At f/1.4 you're not going to get many in-focus shots with moving targets, no matter how fast the AF is.