Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Mine's stiff, with only one ball. But I love it.
Hey-o!

03-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter

03-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks everyone, lol good to see theres some good humor on these forums too! elsewhere it would have gotten intense. :-)

@ultraviolet - thanks if my 44k continues to annoy me i might try and open mine up, can't b too much different to the 44m - shd just b the mount i guess, I'll just have to b really careful about doing it.

seems like I'm gettin used to it though
03-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I grew up watching Benny Hill on TV, does it show ?

03-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
New to the Net, are we?
Nope. I've been around before Al Gore built it. You?
03-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
guys, why settle for those stiff focus rings? I found it quite easy to disassemble this lens and clean off all the crystallized grease (with lighter fluid and a lint-free swab) and then re-lube it. Mine is very smooth now, just a little tighter than a takumar.
03-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
New to the Net, are we?
Nope. I've been around before Al Gore built it. You?
I went online in 1980 with the HeathKit that Al helped me solder together. You?

03-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tux Quote
My Helios focus is very heavy. I think this is normal !
Yep...seems to be a hallmark of Soviet manufacturing. It is possible to partially disassemble the lens from the front to get access to focus helicoid. At that point you can carefully flush with lighter fluid (Ronsonal) to free up the movement. Even better would be to fully disassemble and re-lube with a quality bicycle grease or something similar that has relatively low viscosity with little tendency to thin at higher temperatures.

Steve

(Google Helios 44M repair...)
03-26-2011, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A childhood accident, I assume...

Steve

(could not resist...)
03-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Hey-o!
The maturity in this forum is terrible!... I love it!
Although I will admit you lot almost got me kicked out of the University library for laughing in the silent study
03-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went online in 1980 with the HeathKit that Al helped me solder together. You?
Chances are that you and I were the only 2 people on usenet at that time. But I never really lived there. Or here.
03-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep...seems to be a hallmark of Soviet manufacturing. It is possible to partially disassemble the lens from the front to get access to focus helicoid. At that point you can carefully flush with lighter fluid (Ronsonal) to free up the movement. Even better would be to fully disassemble and re-lube with a quality bicycle grease or something similar that has relatively low viscosity with little tendency to thin at higher temperatures.

Steve

(Google Helios 44M repair...)
+1 the grease they used looked an awful lot like plumbers putty. Replacing it with anything that resembles grease is a vast improvement.

Eric
03-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+ 1 : cleaning the helicoid and relubing gets rid of the stiffness

It seems the grease they have used converts to a waxy substance (which is the problem here) and oil (which seems to find its way to the aperture blades, had to clean them earlier on for reliable operation). Due to the encouragement here I opened up mine a bit and was able to get rid of most of the old stuff. It would indeed seem (+1 stevebrot) that removing the front part(s) is enough to get enough access to clean the bit that makes most difference (front parts = "nameplate" and the part with filter threads, fixed with three screws under the "nameplate").

I also cleaned some of the clogged grease off from the inside of the lens barrel (replacing this with some fresh stuff seemed to contribute to the fluid-dampened feeling to the the focus ring). Ronsonol or similar is probably more effective, but using qtips with rubbing alcohol (99% 2-propanol, isopropanol) worked too (I had some of that handy). In addition to the waxy stuff the grease had apparently collected its usual share of dust and grit (the remains in the helicoid were blackish, inside the lens a more beeswaxy appearance. For re-lubing I used some drugstore vaseline (sparingly), this is quite low viscosity, at least.

It seems that even cleaned things don't get quite as good as with Japanese (Pentax A/M) lenses (there are very slightly tighter spots turning the ring back and forth) maybe a bit of that waxy junk was left behind (as I did not completely disassemble the lens), maybe the build is a bit more coarse ... very much of an improvement though. (The 44M would seem like a reasonably dis-re-assembly friendly as far construction goes, except that putting back both clicky-balls under the aperture ring seems practically impossible, which is just as well as the operation of the same was brought closer to its Japanese counterpart by removing the one from the underside that would seem to be responsible for half-clicks (?)).
03-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New to the Net, are we?
03-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by erkie Quote
+1 the grease they used looked an awful lot like plumbers putty. Replacing it with anything that resembles grease is a vast improvement.

Eric
"mans fat" is the right term, eh?