Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tak 500mm F4.5 diagram / manual / parts

Hi

Stumbled on a really nice Tak 500mm smc for coffee change. What a beast.

Didn't realize that it actually had a Minolta mount on it till I got home! Might be easier to purchase a Sony DSLR hang on it, but I'd like to find the rear mount adapter (they came in K and M42). The MD mount must be one rare item! My first call to Pentax didn't get me anywhere...

I saw some older posts (~2007) where someone (Roy Kim???) was actually still able to purchase the mount parts. So if you have a parts diagram etc that could help me I'd be thankful. or Roy's contact info.

Catalog #24740, Takumar SMC 500mm F4.5.

Any other pointers would be appreciated at this point,

Thanks,
Rick

03-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by korimako Quote
Hi

Stumbled on a really nice Tak 500mm smc for coffee change. What a beast.

Didn't realize that it actually had a Minolta mount on it till I got home! Might be easier to purchase a Sony DSLR hang on it, but I'd like to find the rear mount adapter (they came in K and M42). The MD mount must be one rare item! My first call to Pentax didn't get me anywhere...

I saw some older posts (~2007) where someone (Roy Kim???) was actually still able to purchase the mount parts. So if you have a parts diagram etc that could help me I'd be thankful. or Roy's contact info.

Catalog #24740, Takumar SMC 500mm F4.5.

Any other pointers would be appreciated at this point,

Thanks,
Rick
I am assuming that you want to convert back to a Pentax K mount - if you post some close up pictures of the lens mount on your newly acquired lens, we might all have a better grasp of what need to be done. RioRico probably would have the best solution for this.

Thanks,
03-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, yeah if anyone has the diagram for this lens that was floating around the net a few years ago, I'd love a copy.

I'd like to get it to a K mount or screw mount.

here's the Minolta mount - the rear section is a 'mount adapter' or such it unlocks to reveal a filter (52mm in the MD case)

and here it is opened up, you can see one of the three tabs that get locked in place.

I imagine I could just figure the difference between the K & MD focal distance and make a homemade adapter, sort of like this one looks to me( this is from the web, not mine):

Thanks for any help
Rick

Last edited by korimako; 03-23-2011 at 10:14 PM.
03-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I am sure this is a third party conversion from m42 to MD... The Minolta register distance is 43.72mm and Pentax register distance is 45.46mm. The lens separates into two? In your second picture I see what looks like some m42 screw threads below the Minolta locking tabs, can you confirm that? I wonder if the MD mount was cemented on top or inside the original m42 mount? If this is so, carefully removing MD mount and screwing on an m42 to PK adapter might solve your problem.

Thanks,

03-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
I thought I read somewhere the other day that adapters were available for m42, K, Minolta and one other... This looks pretty factory. Under the dissecting microscope, it all looks like one piece. Also has the "M" stamped in it. I think the bevel on the step below the minolta tabs (of the bayonet mount) looks like a thread, there are not any outer threads, inner possibly, but that's very narrow.

There was a huge thread back in '09, with some nice pictures of the adapters... guess I'll have to look hard to find one of those...

THis link

ah so close.
03-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought a Rikenon 300/5.5 preset lens, because the price was right and I thought it would be a fun lens to play with. The lens mount was a T-m42, on which I grafted an m42-PK adapter permanently. In case I screw up the grafting, I bought from eBay a T2-PK adapter for six bucks. Looking at these adapters I thought these might work for converting your MD mount Takumar 4.5 into a PK mount fairly easily.

Picture 1 shows the T-m42-PK adapter on the lens with the lock screws removed.

Picture 2 is the T2-PK adapter bought from eBay.

Picture 3 show the T-m42 adapter off the lens from the inside.

If I remove the T2 portion from the T2-PK adapter by removing the locking screws, then you will end up with the T-PK adapter (picture 3). I was thinking that you might be able to slip the adapter over the MD mount, align the mount to the lens' focus hash mark and tighten the lock screws to get PK mount on the lens. You can take some test shots to see if you can achieve infinity focus and depending on the test, you can either nibble away the MD mount with a dremel or pull the T-PK adapter away from the lens base to obtain the correct registration distance.

One truly good thing about this lens is that the mount portion can be removed completely from the glass elements. You can dremel to your heart's content without having to worry about metal shrapnels flying into the glass that can potentially leave behind miniature pock marks on the glass.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by excanonfd; 06-15-2011 at 09:00 PM.