Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

FA power zoom contacts

Hey folks... I was wondering if anyone knows more details about the power contacts on the FA power zooms (the two pins at 5'o'clock of a KAF2 mount). Is it a DC voltage? If so, how many volts and which is power vs ground.

I have a K-x, and I know that it doesn't support power zoom, but it still has the power contact for AF. Does anyone know of a hack (like firmware), that can enable it for power zoom lenses? I already checked for it in the debug-enabled hack but couldn't find anything available.

I tried measuring the voltage across the power contacts of my K-x (w/o a lens of course) and it was 0v so I'm sure it's deactivated until a supported lens is connected to it. I also tried supplying DC voltage the power contacts of my FA 28-80mm. Since I don't know which is pwr/gnd, it's a guess. I assumed 5v. In one orientation, I get nothing. And switching the connections ends up causing some type of short because my supply goes to 2.5v and pumps 3A. That can't be good.

Anyways, I tried my google-fu before posting this and apparently the force was weak with me.

--Phot0n

03-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
"Hey folks... I was wondering if anyone knows more details about the power contacts on the FA power zooms (the two pins at 5'o'clock of a KAF2 mount). Is it a DC voltage? If so, how many volts and which is power vs ground."

I think you looking at SDM power contacts on your camera. I don't know nothing about FA power zooms except that Pentax Z-1 have possibility to use power zoom lens (recently i bough that camera and read it in user manual).
03-23-2011, 03:28 AM   #3

I read somewhere on the internet that SDM used a lower voltage than PZ. Considering the ZX-10 was using 2 CR2 batteries and supported PZ, maybe the DC motor is using 6V ?
03-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember reading that the older bodies (K10D for sure) were supporting some PZ functions but what exactly? I'm not sure....

03-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I remember reading that the older bodies (K10D for sure) were supporting some PZ functions but what exactly? I'm not sure....
Just zooming and lens retraction- none of the fancy stuff

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
fancy stuff
which was??

I don't mean to be sarcastic or ironic or anything but I don't know much about power zoom....
03-24-2011, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
which was??

I don't mean to be sarcastic or ironic or anything but I don't know much about power zoom....
There was a button you could program with 3 different functions. For instance, press it and it would go to a set zoom position. You could also take a picture while the zoom was moving in or out for a moving effect. Last was image size tracking.

Last edited by pz1fan; 03-24-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added third powerzoom feature