Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
canon 70-200 IS L USM..wheres ours :{

I was at DXO looking at MTF field charts of 70-200 sigmas, comparing the new OS version with the HSM II....just for fun I threw the Canon 70-200 IS L USM into the list.Now I wish I hadnt..cause I now want one ......be nice to see such a lens for the pentax mount...but I doubt that....I alway knew that Pentax suffered in its lens line up at the longer end......but makes me wanna a canon just for the IS L...70-200.

ask me why I was even there...go on ask..OK...Ill tell ya

my thinking was, if I could see the sigma 70-200 OS was way sharper than my 70-200 HSMII then Id buy it...then I would be able to crop in tighter and fore go the expense of a 300 MM lens...seems daft now... particularly as the OS version didnt look any better than the one I already have

I also downloaded a tamron FOV utility, that allows you to zoom in and see the different FOV at focal lengths from 10mm to 500mm...from 200 to 300mm it did look like much of a difference in FOV..thus my thinking a sharper 200mm lens would get me through ..its late..time for bed as my head hurts now ..

03-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I question how many pentaxians would want a Canon 70-200 IS II for better than 2000 dollars. Dxo unfortunately has not tested many lenses at all in the Pentax line up. Certainly, you could get a FA 80-200 (used of course) for considerably less than the Canon 70-200. Wouldn't need IS really due to having SR on your camera body.
03-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter

DA* 60-250 seems like a good alternative. Possibly not the same image quality, but half the price. And if photography was only about absolute image quality, we'd all be with canon/nikon.
03-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
DA* 60-250 seems like a good alternative. Possibly not the same image quality, but half the price. And if photography was only about absolute image quality, we'd all be with canon/nikon.
In the last sentence you got your facts wrong and it's the other way around. You should have known that as a Pentaxian.

03-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Pentax has the absolute best image quality?
03-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has the absolute best image quality?
Image quality is based on many things and of those, the lens and camera body are not close to being number one.
03-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Image quality is based on many things and of those, the lens and camera body are not close to being number one.
Oh, I would like to hear how you would capture that high quality image with an average lens and a body.
03-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Oh, I would like to hear how you would capture that high quality image with an average lens and a body.
You, are assuming, of course, that everything else is equal. However, with poor lighting, average subject, and poor composition, the best lens and body in the world will do nothing to compensate. The differences in modern lenses (and bodies) are actually fairly small at this point, whereas as the differences in photographers are huge.

Put the before mentioned Sigma 70-200 HSM and a Canon 70-200 and compare them in real life situations and you will see minimal differences over all.

03-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The new 70-200mm zooms from Canon and Nikon are absolutely incredible, no doubt. But I don't think it's a good idea for Pentax to produce a "me too"-product to try to compete. Sony tried that already without success, and are now turning more towards the NEX and SLT lines which are very different. I think Pentax also should continue to develop their niches, which are compact and rugged systems.

Also, remember that 70-200mm is a typical full frame focal length range. The equivalent APS-C range is covered by the DA* 50-135mm, which is a lot more compact. If only Pentax would update the AF of this lens, which is unfortunately pretty slow.
03-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I question how many pentaxians would want a Canon 70-200 IS II for better than 2000 dollars. Dxo unfortunately has not tested many lenses at all in the Pentax line up. Certainly, you could get a FA 80-200 (used of course) for considerably less than the Canon 70-200. Wouldn't need IS really due to having SR on your camera body.
between a used Canon 70-200 and the 80-200 theres probably $200 in it { canon being more expensive}..best to compare apples with apples ..

good point on the expense of the Lens...I was looking at the sigma 200-500 F2.8...$38000....not really...

be nice to have a ultra sharp 200 mm...then I could crop in more...

Eric....I know about the 50-135...but I want longer FL...135mm wont cut it
03-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter

The differences in modern lenses (and bodies) are actually fairly small at this point, whereas as the differences in photographers are huge.
Exactly my point. However, I think your combining "image quality" and "quality of the image" That's why I said "absolute" image quality- the difference in image quality between 2 different lenses. While Canon/Nikon may offer the absolute best in terms of sharpness, contrast, color, the difference for most purposes is negligible when it comes down to it.

In my opinion, almost everything that determines the quality of an image comes down to the photographers technique, skill, and the ability to capture that "moment." Having a good image quality is important, but having the absolute best? Not relevant for 99.9% of shooters.
03-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

And if photography was only about absolute image quality, we'd all be with canon/nikon.
Well, folks, we have a winner in the How Wrong Can A Person Be contest.
03-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well, folks, we have a winner in the How Wrong Can A Person Be contest.
Really? Photography is all about absolute image quality? Or are you saying Pentax has better image quality than Canon and Nikon? Either way, argue your point and don't be a douchebag.
03-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Exactly my point. However, I think your combining "image quality" and "quality of the image" That's why I said "absolute" image quality- the difference in image quality between 2 different lenses. While Canon/Nikon may offer the absolute best in terms of sharpness, contrast, color, the difference for most purposes is negligible when it comes down to it.

In my opinion, almost everything that determines the quality of an image comes down to the photographers technique, skill, and the ability to capture that "moment." Having a good image quality is important, but having the absolute best? Not relevant for 99.9% of shooters.
I understand that you are drawing a line between image quality and quality of image, but it isn't a line that I understand. Unless you are sitting in a studio shooting focus charts and comparing mtf scores, this separation doesn't seem to be a realistic one.

With regard to Pentax having less image quality than Canon or Nikon, I disagree. The top end Pentax lenses have excellent sharpness, beautiful out of focus rendering, and colors that compare excellently with any lenses from any other maker. In particular, the FA limiteds stand out as some of the best lenses of their type ever produced.

Where Pentax is lacking currently is in long lenses. They also do not have ring motors in their lenses. However, if I read your comment correctly, you weren't not focused on these issues, but rather on the fact that Pentax lenses just "don't have the same image quality" as those produced by other brands.
03-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

douchebag.
For the good of the forum, I ignore thee.