Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Tamron 28-75 zoom ring??

The zoom ring on my 27-75 has some play in it before engages.
I quess about 1/16" or so. The lens was recently replaced and the older one did the same thing. The service techs a Tamron say this is normal for that lens. I have the Tamron 70-200,17-50 and 90 as well and none of them have this play. In fact they are very smooth.The lens works fine, but this is a pain when trying to make small changes to the focal length.
Mike

03-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by COULDBE2 Quote
The zoom ring on my 27-75 has some play in it before engages. I quess about 1/16" or so.
Well, heck, that's only about 62/1000's (+/- .0005") inch of radial movement at the ring surface.

My Tammies, including the 28-75, have about 2/3's of that amount of play, but the movement's smooth and viscous. I'd guess that you're lacking lube grease on the pins and grooves in the helical zoom-sleeve. The grease normally takes up some of the play and allows for reasonable fit tolerances and I'm surprised that the tech didn't think to mention that possibility. If so, it should be a very reasonable cost, local CLR fix.

Or, if you gently lift the rubber zoom ring sleeve and slide it out of the way, you can check the condition for yourself. But if you do attempt a DIY grease-job, make sure you sparingly use a lube grease recommended for the purpose (including hot weather temperatures!) or you'll surely need that CLR later anyway.

Or at worst, and if it's really noticeable, perhaps you've got worn nylon bushings on the pins. I don't know that Tamron uses pin bushings on that particular lens without lookin', but I'll mention it as general commentary as I've seen two zoom lenses with badly worn bushings.

Of course it may also just depend on the proportional accuracy of your estimate of six inches, as well.

H2
03-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. The lens is 3 weeks old.
Mike
03-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not have any noticeable play on my zoom ring, but there is minimal 'normal' play on the lens barrel itself. I would not pay much heed to this minimal play unless there's clear 'loosening' of any of the parts and/or it's affecting image results.

03-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by COULDBE2 Quote
The zoom ring on my 27-75 has some play in it before engages.
I quess about 1/16" or so. The lens was recently replaced and the older one did the same thing. The service techs a Tamron say this is normal for that lens. I have the Tamron 70-200,17-50 and 90 as well and none of them have this play. In fact they are very smooth.The lens works fine, but this is a pain when trying to make small changes to the focal length.
Mike
Endplay is usually necessary and desirable in mechanical items. No automobile engine could run without correct endplay tolerances throughout its entirety. My Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 has endplay either exactly @ 1/16th of an inch, or very close to it. So does my SP Tamron 24-135mm 3.5 to 5.6.

BTW, I do not see a Zoom ring on my prime, Tamron 90mm 2.8
03-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Mine has play too, but it's so litle that it's very herd to see it...you can feel it and hear it (very very soft click,almost unaudible...), i see how it could annoy you if the FL you are trying to get to is 1mm away but on the usual usage it's hard to notice.
I would say to not worry and let those litle issues build up..that play, as said before, is probably healthy and necessary.
03-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! I was just comparing it to the other Tamron's I own. As I said the lens performs just fine, so it appears to be a normal condition. I had several problems with my first copy. in the end Tamron replaced it with this new one. Just trying to make sure all is well. Jewelltrail, I miss spoke on the 90, that would be that the 90's manual focus is smooth.
Mike
03-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Endplay is usually necessary and desirable in mechanical items. No automobile engine could run without correct endplay tolerances throughout its entirety.
Well, that settles it then. Your 28-75mm is fine, but you better send all you other lenses in for servicing immediately to have some "play" added in.

I just checked my 28-75mm f/2.8, and it has almost no play in the zoom ring. MAYBE just a hair's width. Same thing with my Pentax 75-300mm.

My Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8, however, has absolutely no play. Same story with my Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 and my Quantaray 28-80mm and my Pentax 18-55mm kit lens.

If I were you, I probably wouldn't worry about it as long as the lens works fine otherwise. You have a six-year warranty with the Tamron, so if it does develop into a problem you can always have it serviced.

As Jewelltrail pointed out, it's possible that some play could be within normal tolerance and may even be desirable. My 28-75mm is several years old, so maybe newer lenses have a slightly different design. It's not unusual for minor design changes to be made to a product over it's production lifetime.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 03-25-2011 at 03:24 PM.
03-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Well, that settles it then. Your 28-75mm is fine, but you better send all you other lenses in for servicing immediately to have some "play" added in.

I just checked my 28-75mm f/2.8, and it has almost no play in the zoom ring. MAYBE just a hair's width. Same thing with my Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 and my Pentax 75-300mm.

My Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8, however, has absolutely no play. Same story with my Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 and my Quantaray 28-80mm and my Pentax 18-55mm kit lens.

If I were you, I probably wouldn't worry about it as long as the lens works fine otherwise. You have a six-year warranty with the Tamron, so if it does develop into a problem you can always have it serviced.

As Jewelltrail pointed it, it's possible that some play could be within normal tolerance and may even be desirable. My 28-75mm is several years old, so maybe newer lenses have a slightly different design. It's not unusual for minor design changes to be made to a product over it's production lifetime.
I had checked my Sigma and other non=Tamron zooms too, just for comparison: none of them utilize endplay in zoom rings. However, Tamon clearly does: I have owned many of their zooms. The endplay is very subtle, but it is there on Tamron zooms. I suspect most owners never notice it. My SP 24-135, steps above the 28-75 Tammy in build quality has it--and it uses a metal build.

The Tamron techs were straight with the OP.