Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my DA 10-17. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it when I bought it and since have found that it is even more versatile than I expected. If you're not sure what to do with it, don't just buy it because you found a good deal. I bought mine in the Marketplace from a former owner who was very unhappy with his purchase. It's a fisheye. You can't really erase the fisheye effect although you can make it minimal in the way you frame your shots and in PP. It won't really be similar to your 12-24. It has a full 180 deg field at 10mm. You can get in very,very close. I have shot at car and motorcycle shows and been able to get the whole vehicle in the frame from inches away. I have shot hot air balloons from just a few feet away. I love my fisheye but not everybody loves the effect.

03-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
Inactive Account

I'll go with the DA 10-17.
I have a friend who is a photographer in a quite well known nightclub in Melbourne and he's got a Tokina 11-16 with him all the time. I mean, range wise you're better off with a wider lens, the crowd always wanna try to fit inside one single frame, it's gonna be difficult to use DA70 in this situation.
03-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bossy Quote
Tokina 11-16
that's a rectilinear UWA and he already got the 12-24 wich has a good rep...
The 10-17 group in flickr has some great images..but if you are not sure about the fisheye look , since you own a 12-24, i would look into the samyang 8mm 3.5..it's manual focus but at that Focal Length that's not a big deal. The Samyang has got an impressive rep. and a great price tag, so if you end up not liking the fisheye look you won't lose so much money.
This said the 10-17 has the possibility of a less pronounced distorsion wich can be desirable...it all boils down to if you have the money to experiment (you can always sell it here if you don't like it, i know i would be interested provided i have the money asked wich is at least uncertain ).

P.D: there are some fine nightclub photos in flickr with the fisheyes (both the Samyang and the 10-17.)
03-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thanks geverybody for your friendly care.

Well since i'm not sure whether I want one or the other, I'll pass on both.

I think i'm going to save for FA 31mm which I'm certain that I want.
that would fit my style best, and I would get best pictures.
moreover, for now 12-24mm is enough for wide angle shots..

thanks again dear hobby fellows.

03-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now look what we did. Perhaps a cure for LBA?
03-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm sure you'll be super happy with the 31mm, I know I would be!
03-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #22
Site Supporter

i have both the 10-17 and the DA 70. I agree with everything that has been posted but should add that the 10-17 gets a good deal of CA; i imagine with club shooting, you will have fringing at the edge of all the bright lights. Who knows, it may even look like a cool effect, but I have spent much time removing purple fringe from many of my FE photos. Just the nature of the beast. Also, you asked about bokeh on the DA70 and i don't want to be blasphemous, but bokeh is not the strong point of that lens, IMO. It is a marvelous lens in every other way, however. Either would be a great purchase.