Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My DA* finally caught up and bit me.

So I recently had an issue with my 16-50 where the zoom ring was stuck at 35mm. Took it in to Advanced Camera and they repaired it. Thankfully it was still under warranty. What had happened was that somehow the zoom lever inside the lens completely broke off. They got me back the lens the day before I was scheduled to shoot a wedding. (For all you Oregonians and southern Washingtonians, the guys at Advanced are awesome).

Anyway, I am photographing the wedding just fine when I feel the zoom ring grab at 50mm. I manage to jiggle it free and continue shooting hoping that it is a glitch of some sort. Well it keeps happening to me. Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated. Luckily it didn't cost me any important shots.

So I take it back to Advanced the next day. They take it back and have a technician look at it for about 20 minutes and he can't figure out what the deal with it is.

Long story short, it's back in the repair shop and they have to completely disassemble and look it over piece by piece cause they couldn't figure out what it was (both the younger guy and the technician that's been repairing cameras forever).

Just wondering if any of you have had similar problems? I love my 16-50 and wish it'd show a little love back...

03-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if the gears are fine, it is probably the electronics.
03-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a similar problem to the issue you first had with the lens, only now it's at full extension. Never experienced the problem myself, but it's not a new one - has been mentioned on the forum a few times before. Hope it comes back good as new for you.