Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Went off to buy the lens and camera it was attached to and inspected them thoroughly. The camera was in great condition (I'd say EX++) and seemed to work correctly.

With the same hope for the lens, I worked the focus ring--buttery. Aperture ring felt nice. The build quality felt far better than I imagined. This is so mine. Then I took out my small flashlight (thank you Pawnshop Guide) and peeked through the glass. Bits of fungus. Per the Pawnshop Guide, I walked away. Disappointment of the year.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'd also suggest you review some of the Lens Club Threads here such as Takumar Club, The 50's Association, K,M,A,FA Clubs. Each thread has many examples taken with normals.
I've browsed them heavily in the past and before making this thread. They really made me want to get everything (heh), especially the 1.4s and 1.2s of the Ks or Takumars, which tend to be the most expensive of the bunch. I know it came off like I only paid attention to hard numbers and lens tests, but that was what was in my head at the time of posting. I did mention color rendition in my second post...in a tiny, overlookable, 5-word question amongst my rambling posts :P. It was answered nicely.

I'd love to have the K's and Takumars if I could, but my lens budget is really limited. I was planning to sell the A50/1.7 to offset the cost of the K50 (which I meant by replacement). Ideally, I'd keep both and use them according to what I felt at the time. The academic stuff gives me something more concrete to help justify picking one lens to completely replace the other in my super-indecisive mind.

03-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tough luck, there, but at least you found it before you paid. There will be others available, I promise!
03-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #18
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear that, but be happy you spotted it before you got it home...

Good luck next time
03-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #19

I think K 50mm 1.4 is the better lens. According to this site: Pentax Lens Review by Peter Spiro

K is the best 50mm from Pentax.

03-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter

It depends upon what you mean by "better." K50 may be sharper in the realm of the pixel peeper, but all of the Pentax 50mm primes are quite sharp. The K iteration will also be larger, heavier and will lack the ability to use automatic exposure or P-TTL flash. I don't know if that is really "better."
03-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #21

i have been follow this thread since last couple day... it really exciting to have this information.
just want to ask a couple question ..

i ever have super takumar 55 /1,8 or 50/1,4 with M42 other wise i ever have prime lens pentax 50 mm M version ..some of them i ever try it.

and i think the IQ for A version is still one step ahead in compare with M version
dont now why ..but seems to me , the glass or the way it snap the blade mean more to me...

DOF that produce by this A series (in term 50 mm wide open ), little bit thin but nice bokeh to see it, in compare with M version .

can anyone explain this ?

thx
03-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

50 1.7 actually is very good. The real downside is the 6 blade. can only produce circle highlight at f 1.7 and f1.8. at f2.0 it already show hexagonal shape. after f2.0 the highlight would be more ugly. I find it significatly reduce its usability.

Last edited by liukaitc; 03-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.
03-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It depends upon what you mean by "better." K50 may be sharper in the realm of the pixel peeper, but all of the Pentax 50mm primes are quite sharp. The K iteration will also be larger, heavier and will lack the ability to use automatic exposure or P-TTL flash. I don't know if that is really "better."
I'm with you on this. I had both the the SMC Tak 50mm 1.4 and the SMC a 50mm 1.7. I found the image quality to be pretty similar. Maybe the Tak was a bit better but I really could not tell, probably because I am an amateur. I still have the A 50mm 1.7 because it played a bit nicer with the camera than the TAk, plus screw mount with an adapter sucks in my book and looks stupid when you can see part of the mount on the body (this is another topic altogether)

I guess what I am trying to say is even the the Tak is not the K mount 50mm I feel at some point image quality with all these lens is like comparing apples to apples, and some more apples as well as some similar tasting apples. When you get down to comparing image quality that is only really comparable with charts and 100% crops then something like automatic exposure and P-TTL flash should be weighted pretty heavily in an assessment of the lens' ability.