Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SDM Problem or is it something else??

Ok so I just picked up a used DA*300 in great condition from a very reliable vendor so I'm not worried about returning it if needed.

The first issue is that when I half press the button the lens does nothing, not every time but enough to have me worried.
Press a second time and then it starts to focus and stops clearly not in focus.
Press a third time and then usually it appears to focus or it least it looks clear thru the viewfinder.
I should state that this doesn't happen every time but enough that I'm concerned that the lens has issues.

The second issue is and as I just stated it appears to focus but when you view the pictures on the camera almost every photo is blurry. These were photos at 1/60 and f4.0 and other higher settings so more than enough light to hand hold. Having previously owned a Sigma 50-500mm I could hand hold it for great shots so the weight of the lens is not the issue.

I do own other DA* lenses and have never seen or experienced this.

Is this normal with this lens or are my feelings that this lens has got issues correct?

Like I said I personally have not experienced SDM problems so I'm just guessing at this point.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...

03-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Sounds more like dirty contacts on the lens to me.
03-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wiped those with off...that was my first thought
03-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
I wiped those with off...that was my first thought
I usually use a pencil eraser (removes carbon) or if needed a product called "Nick-Sander" which is a very tightly held fiberglass brush. I've had it so long that I can't remember where I got it from.

03-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the information calico.

I ended up calling the place I purchased from and they are taking it back and refunding money. They offered to repair but I just was not willing to chance it if it was indeed SDM problems. They couldn't provide any history and weren't sure how long they had it.

So it looks like I'm going to be back in the market for a DA*300 lens again....:-(
03-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
Thanks for the information calico.

I ended up calling the place I purchased from and they are taking it back and refunding money. They offered to repair but I just was not willing to chance it if it was indeed SDM problems. They couldn't provide any history and weren't sure how long they had it.

So it looks like I'm going to be back in the market for a DA*300 lens again....:-(
I'm galad to hear that you were dealing with a "stand up" place.