Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #1

Controlling Aperture on an FA Lens Question

"The FA series lenses are autofocus and allow for certain modern cameras (film and digital) to automatically set aperture (Tv mode), shutter speed (Av mode), or both (Program mode). You can also set exposure manually if the camera body allows for this. On recent camera bodies (e.g. *ist and all digital SLR cameras) you use dials on the camera body to set the aperture value (the aperture ring on the lens must be in the "A" position at all times)."
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

I don't understand the last sentence. I have the k-x. What dials on the camera body? How do I use Tv mode? I can't use the EV buttons? Thanks.

03-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Set it to 'A' and it works like every other recent lens. Set the aperture or shutter, depending on mode with the control dial. For TV, set on 'A', set shutter with dial, aperture is automatically set for best exposure. If you take it off of 'A' it will look like a manual lens and you'll have to stop down meter, which makes no sense.
03-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
"The FA series lenses are autofocus and allow for certain modern cameras (film and digital) to automatically set aperture (Tv mode), shutter speed (Av mode), or both (Program mode). You can also set exposure manually if the camera body allows for this. On recent camera bodies (e.g. *ist and all digital SLR cameras) you use dials on the camera body to set the aperture value (the aperture ring on the lens must be in the "A" position at all times)."
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

I don't understand the last sentence. I have the k-x. What dials on the camera body? How do I use Tv mode? I can't use the EV buttons? Thanks.

When set in Av mode, you can use the wheel on the back of the Kx to scroll (left to right) the aperture level up and down.

Tv mode is for controling shutter speed and the camer selects the other values (ISO, aperture, etc.)