Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar 28mm f2.5 No 22XXXXXX

I posted today to the Vivitar Lens Club (Not the Series 1) Could someone knowledgeable on Vivitars take a look and offer some assistance. Much appreciated.

03-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the lens reviews. There is a really good comparison of all 31 variants of vivitar 28 mm lenses
03-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have 2 different versions of this lens, an M42 version with 62mm filter and a Kmount version with 67mm filter. Both perform well although they can suffer a little in bright light due to the coatings used I paid $10 for the M42 and $30 for the K mount
03-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Check the lens reviews. There is a really good comparison of all 31 variants of vivitar 28 mm lenses
Hello Lowell, Thanks for taking the time. My copy#22207428 looks exactly like the one in the lens review with AUTO before the word Vivitar..no filter size on the rim by the way. It thought it was a K14 in the bestiary. So I took a shot. According to a link in all thumbs post, my lens is a Nikon mount. There are 3 screws behind the 3 flanges, 2 of which are phillips countersunk. The other is a slotted and not countersunk. I wondering if someone changed the mount and used any old screw there. This lens could be a 62mm filter. It's just a hair bigger than the 58 on my 55-300. If you think of anything else....

03-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Looking at your posts in the other thread and the auction link posted, that is a Nikon F mount if I'm not mistaken. The lens will just go into the Pentax bayonet and turn just enough to keep it on the camera. Correct? It is completely usable as is but you do have to be careful and it will be Completely manual, just like using a Takumar type lens set on M.

If you can return it, it might be worth your while to do so (or just resell it). I had the M42 version of this lens and it is indeed a sleeper lens IMO. That is, great image quality bang for the buck. Pentax M42 versions go for the $30-$40 range last time I looked.

03-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Looking at your posts in the other thread and the auction link posted, that is a Nikon F mount if I'm not mistaken. The lens will just go into the Pentax bayonet and turn just enough to keep it on the camera. Correct? It is completely usable as is but you do have to be careful and it will be Completely manual, just like using a Takumar type lens set on M.

If you can return it, it might be worth your while to do so (or just resell it). I had the M42 version of this lens and it is indeed a sleeper lens IMO. That is, great image quality bang for the buck. Pentax M42 versions go for the $30-$40 range last time I looked.

Hi Jeff, Thanks for your input. Yesterday I mounted the Viv on a cheap plastic set of tubes and got it on a full turn and got it off with a degree of difficulty. I tried what you suggested, can't say it turned any but felt secured enough to take some shots at 2.5 ISO 400. Took some with the 50/1.7 Pentax M, the 135/2.5 Tak Bayonet and the 18-55 DA L which feels like a toy. I enlarged the image from the 28 to the size from the 50 and then to the 135. The shot with the DA L was at 30mm @ f4(max). Looks about even.
I think I will keep it and play with it some more. Only paid $26.85
03-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Somewhere I have more but here are the initial test shots from the one I had, on a K7.

Vivitar 28mm f2.5 M42 - a set on Flickr

03-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Somewhere I have more but here are the initial test shots from the one I had, on a K7.

Vivitar 28mm f2.5 M42 - a set on Flickr

Nice Pics. I have a flickr acct and a few pics there. I need to figure out how to upload pics to PF. I am so computer dense it's not funny. I gotta get my 11 and 13 year old grandkids to show me how to do some of the stuff I see here.

03-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tkossally Quote
Nice Pics. I have a flickr acct and a few pics there. I need to figure out how to upload pics to PF. I am so computer dense it's not funny. I gotta get my 11 and 13 year old grandkids to show me how to do some of the stuff I see here.
First step is upload a few shots to your gallery/album here. Become a site supporter here for a few bucks (can't see if you are from my touch right now), and you can create various albums.

Otherwise, learn how to upload to Flickr, and we'll explain how easy it is to link those photos into your post.

You can PM me if you want and I'll walk you through it--it's simple.
03-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey Ira, Always read your posts with great interest. I will take up up on your offer. I have some pics in my flickr. Need to put some more there. Waiting for the sun to reappear here in Dallas, GA to take some more with the Vivitar 28/2.5. M50/1.7 and the Tak Bayonet 135/2-5. Like your picture. How about one looking the other way just to mess with people. hehe.