Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Get the cheaper body for now and buy good glass.
In general, that's very sound advice.

03-27-2011, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Just out of curiosity why do so many people invest in the high end camera to get the resolution rather than good glass? Get the cheaper body for now and buy good glass. The body will be obsolete in 2 yrs, ask half people in the lens forum and glass is for a lifetime if buy right first. I recommend the Kr or K7 and good lenses, use the money to buy something like the 16-50mm, 15mm, 21mm, 31mm, 43mm, 70mm, 77mm, etc.
I have always heard the same thing and was prepared to forgo to k-5 in favor of a k-r with a nice lens or two, and then I started reading all this stuff about front focus issues that scared me off a little. Theoretically I can afford both but the k-5 would really stretch my budget if I added a prime lens (which I really want to do). It looks like with the B&H deal that if you buy the kit lens and the body separately that it is about $50 cheaper so I was thinking about doing that...
03-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by ggreenw Quote
I have always heard the same thing and was prepared to forgo to k-5 in favor of a k-r with a nice lens or two, and then I started reading all this stuff about front focus issues that scared me off a little. Theoretically I can afford both but the k-5 would really stretch my budget if I added a prime lens (which I really want to do). It looks like with the B&H deal that if you buy the kit lens and the body separately that it is about $50 cheaper so I was thinking about doing that...
I was deciding between a KR and K7. In the end I went KR. I know on the forums the FF thing seems like a pretty big issue and I don't want to down play it but I have never had a problem with it.

That being said I have only taken about 1000 shots with it thus far and primarily manual focus in low light (which in most cases are my tungsten light situations) I'm sure there will be a situation where tungsten light will be an issue and I'll be totally annoyed but it hasn't happened yet... cross my fingers.
03-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I bought my K20D when it was the flagship model....

While its true that the body will be "obsolete" in 2 years, some people do like to try make their camera bodies last a "lifetime" like their lenses. Just like how people still cherish and use their old film bodies.

May as well get the best and latest if you can, and make it last as long as you can.

03-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
While its true that the body will be "obsolete" in 2 years, some people do like to try make their camera bodies last a "lifetime" like their lenses.
No digital camera will last that long. Eventually, something electrical will fail that will cost way more than it would be worth to fix. It's an unfortunate truth of modern technology... but optics don't have this problem.
03-27-2011, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with others, I have found the K5 and the DA35mm Macro make a brilliant combo.
03-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
No digital camera will last that long. Eventually, something electrical will fail that will cost way more than it would be worth to fix. It's an unfortunate truth of modern technology... but optics don't have this problem.
Doesn't matter. It can still be a persons intention - i.e. an answer to the question "Just out of curiosity why do so many people invest in the high end camera to get the resolution rather than good glass? "

03-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ggreenw Quote
There is the K-r kit with the DA(L)35/2.4. Will possibly leave you enough money to either add (once you have a feel of what you need) a DA55-300 or DFA100 macro for the long end or a DA12-24 for the wide end.
03-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

The problem with Pentax camera bodies is that these are always about 2 to 5 generations behind the market... only with the introduction of K5 Pentax's AF became somewhat comparable to where Nikon was 6 years ago... ((( Perhaps by the time K1-K2 will be released, external flash will start producing some reasonable results... and a camera body with a very low-light capable sensor will be actually able lock focus in low light, and... whatever.... the improvement list is very damn looooooong... I'm not trying to trash anything, just a reality-check...
03-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #25

Original Poster
I bought the K5 with the DA 35 mm Macro f 2.8 today.Also picked up a used 135 mm f 2.5 ( circa 1980)in excellent condition for $79.00.Picked up the 135 because it is supposed to be a sweet little lens for the money ( hard to get hurt too bad at $79)and it will give me alittle reach to start out with.Thank you guys for all the help and I may very well pick up a couple of those lenses that you guys recommended.....and I got these from B&H Photo that contributes to this website.The salesman that I dealt with was Billy...he was a great help.
03-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #26

Original Poster
The question was raised that why should you buy a high-end camera when you should put your money into high-end glass ...so to speak.Well, I wanted to get a really good camera instead of something I might not be satisfied with , then slowly buy some great glass to put on it.Sounds like fun.
03-28-2011, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adk X Quote
The question was raised that why should you buy a high-end camera when you should put your money into high-end glass ...so to speak.Well, I wanted to get a really good camera instead of something I might not be satisfied with , then slowly buy some great glass to put on it.Sounds like fun.
I think you made a pretty good purchase. My statement was more towards those recommending the lower end zooms. Those will be fine lenses. I think the 35 is a much better choice than the 18-55. (no experience with the 18-55 though) You will find the faster lens more creative than the zooms. Learning to master a single focal length is one of the fastest ways to master a lens. I haven't touched my 16-50 2.8 in a long while because it isn't fast enough for about half my shooting. Purchasing the older pentax lenses, is probably the most economic way to get some good lenses especial if manual focus works for you.
03-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #28

Original Poster
Can't wait to get started, atlng9.I see that you are a big fan of the DA 40mm ltd.....Any info about that that you would care to pass on ??
03-28-2011, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #29

FA 20-35 f4 zoom for me. Match made in heaven, with the DA15mm in my pocket...