Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for advice on telephoto (i am sure you saw it gozzilion times but still...).

On my LBA chart long tele was planned only in couple of years. Currently my longest lens is 55-300 +1.4 vivitar.
The plan was to go then either for Sigma 50-500 or Pentax A 400 + 1.7 AF adapter.
But last week i saw in a store locally used Sigma 170-500 for 420 $ and it kind of ignited the issue a bit earlier. From what i read, lens is soft on long end , but i found that i can get Pentax M 400 5.6 for same price but with shipping and taxes it will be little more eventually.
I know that it will be wiser to wait and save money for better lens but LBA is an illness and i am afraid i will cave in soon enough.
However the question is what lens should give more keeper photos at longer end - soft but AF 170-500 Sigma or OK but manual (until affordable 1.7 AF and money for it will be found together) 400mm + 1.4. I intend to shoot birds ,Moon and occasional airshow/fireworks - usual novice stuff.
Will appreciate any input.
Alex.

03-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

For moon and fireworks, the M would probably be a better choice, but it's out of the question for action photography. Go with the Sigma, as that's a pretty good price!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got the Sigma 170-500. Heres a some shots with it
Attached Images

03-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you both for replies. Dma110 - good shots, especially last one - beautiful. Sigma it is then. Probably .