Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Portrait Lens / DA*50-135 or DA70

Hallo

I have been enjoying snapshots (family and travel), landscape, events, macro (flowers) photo with K10D for about 10 months. And I will have opportunity to take a poffessional fashion model in few weeks which would be my first real portrait photography experience. (I am no pro in any means at all.)

I have kit zoom lens (DA18-55 & DA50-200), but ever since I got Pentax primes, I never used those zoom lens any more. And I totally enjoy and believe in goodness/joy of primes.

At this opportunity, I was thinking to get DA70 LTD in addition to my FA77 LTD. FA77 is such a wonderful lens, but recently, I started to notice "purple fringe" issue with FA lens. And I understand that, although length are similar, DA70 and FA77 have different charactors/colors which I am very keen on trying the newly designed "portrait prime lens" particulary for digital photo.

Then, I've found that with extra $400-450 on top of price of DA70, I could get DA*50-135.

I have seen many posts, articles, reviews, samples of FA* that really making me wanting FA* (85, 200, 70-200....), but as you know, the prices are way tooooo high for me to convince myself to pay for used ones.

Now here are brand new DA* that most of reviews and samples that I see telling good reputation. If I am spending $1000, I want it to be amazing! However, those are not as great as FA*.

Anyways, here is my inquiry:

For who has or used DA*50-135 and/or DA70, which lens perform better as for the image quality (color, resolution for portrait) at 70mm?

I am feeling prime must be better than zoom, at the same time, *lens must be better than LTD lens. Weight, size, convenience of zoom is not key to me, I am really looking for hands on information of image quality. Is DA* zoom really great as legendary FA*? Or if I am not in need of zoom, Does DA70 LTD perform better in image quality over DA* zoom?

Sorry for the long sentence, but any input will help me in great deal.

zenzenyoyo

10-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #2

I had the DA 70mm and sold it when I bought the DA* 50-135mm, so I can't compare them directly... what I can tell you is that I really loved the DA 70mm (it's excellent!), but I don't regret selling it for the DA* 50-135mm (it's also excellent and the zoom is more convenient for my needs).
I think that the DA 70mm is sharper at f2.8, but the DA* might be a bit sharper at f4 and f5.6; both have good contrast, bokeh, colors... the zoom has more AC.

Bcs you already have the FA 77mm, I would buy the DA* 50-135mm.

Last edited by Lazar; 10-25-2007 at 02:44 PM.
10-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hallo Lazar

Thanks for your reply. I have spoken to few people who did exactly same as you did. (sold DA LTD to replace by DA*) And those people told me that with DA*, you can take similar superb photo that DA LTD would do. So, the conversation's conclusion was any two of DA 21/40/70 LTD=one of DA*16-55 or 50-135. That tells me that, if my focus is portrait (around 70MM), I should get DA70.

However, I can not get away from the desire to become owner of DA* (or any *) lens.

I guess, what I am hoping to hear is, "get DA*, DA* is the legendary performer, as great as FA*". (but I got a feeling that, after I get DA*, I would get DA LTD anyways.... LBA, LBA......)

Thanks,
zenzenyoyo
10-25-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Inactive Account

FA77 Purple Fringing.

QuoteOriginally posted by zenzenyoyo Quote
At this opportunity, I was thinking to get DA70 LTD in addition to my FA77 LTD. FA77 is such a wonderful lens, but recently, I started to notice "purple fringe" issue with FA lens.
1. Do you shoot jpeg? Try shooting RAW.
2. Try a lens hood.
I had an FA77 and replaced it with a DA70, but never had purple fringing issues with it. The DA70 includes an integrated lens hood.

10-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Mr. The Guy

Thanks for your reply. That's a good point that I never really paid attention before. I always shoot jpeg, did not want to go raw, since I thought it is such huge work on computer. But recently, I've realized that D10K can process raw into jpeg relatively easy without PC.

Also, my concern of purple fringe is with FA77 and FA31, those do not have proper hood. (but very stylish as it is!) I never really thought that hood would do anything, but I guess it would for the matter. Thanks for your advise, I will try do both suggestion.

By the way, as you are talking in other thread, I also feel that DA is built with newer technology and perticularly designed for digital photo and DA would perform better (easier?) than FA that is old lens. Please do not take me wrong, with skills, knowledge, proper handling, FA is such a suberv performaer, especially LTD ones, I believe. But what 's your opinion to compare FA* & DA*? Reviews and samples indicate me that FA* is better than DA* that how I feel. Because almost all of review I read about FA* (85, 200, 70-200...) is saying they are better than any other lens, but most of reviews of DA* is saying they are great and fine lens. (= I have not read anything saying DA* is better than FA*, except its size and QSF).

zenzenyoyo
10-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I have the 70, 77 and the 50-135. I shoot all my tight headshots with the 77 and wider shots with my 43 because they are so similar in look and bokeh. I just did one job with the 50-135 and it will now become my favorite portrait lens. It was extraordinary, in the true sense of the word.

I have always said that the DA40 and DA70 are nice lenses, but they are no match for the 43mm Limited and the 77mm Limited. Viewing the results of a portrait from the 43, 77 (and now the 50-135) is like remembering your first really romantic kiss. Viewing the results from the 40 and 70 are more like kissing your sister. There really is no comparison.
10-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Chickenhawk

I exactly know what you mean about 77 and 43. Very very interesting way to discribe the feeling of those lens. Well, now, I hear that FA LTD = DA* > DA LTD. Of course, I know it's all depend on what's object, theme, condition of scene, skill and all other, and can not simply say which is better. But your words:

"43, 77 (and now the 50-135) is like remembering your first really romantic kiss. Viewing the results from the 40 and 70 are more like kissing your sister"

totally got me! I was leaning towards getting 40 & 70 but now I am deciding getting DA*. (besides, I have few lens in wider range (10-17, 14, 21, 31, 43) but do not have much tele side, 50-135mm range works perfect for me.)

Thanks,
zenzenyoyo
10-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Second what Chickenhawk said. If you already have the FA77, why do you want to switch to a DA70? I have tried the DA*50-135 and it is very, very good and probably more versatile focal range wise than the DA70, but then it costs more too.