Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Macro Lens Hood?

Hello Pentaxians,

I just picked up a used Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Super-Wide II Macro off of the bay but it didn't come with the matching hood.

I can pick up a matching hood easily for $25, but I figured I'd check here first to see if there's a cheaper/better option. I've read this lens can have flare/contrast problems without a hood, but I'm wondering if a longer hood would help more on an APS-C K-7 then the fiddly "Sigma Perfect Hood" that was built for full-frame. Any thoughts?

Also, for those of you that own the original hood, can it flip backwards onto the lens for storage?

Thanks, and looking forward to trying out this gem!

03-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Try step-down adapter rings.

Each of the lenses in this photo has a 49-37 followed by a 37-30.5mm adapter ring. If that works for a 21mm lens, there's a good chance it works for a 24mm lens:

The lens attached to the camera is a 28mm F/2.8. It has a single 49-28mm adapter ring:

03-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sold Bear's option is an excellent one--I had not thought about that. For my Ensinor 24mm 2.8 Macro, which has 52mm front threads like the Sigma (I believe) I bought this hood @ the Bay:

52mm Flower Petal Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax | eBay

btw, there is another seller selling precise hood for $1.50, if you are as cheap as I am. Free shipping Jeff. I have the hood--it is made as well as any original plastic hood I've seen, but threads in, and even has a retaining nut to hold it steady.

If you are looking for a longer hood, scout the Bay, use the Step Up rings to get desired length.
03-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
The lens attached to the camera is a 28mm F/2.8. It has a single 49-28mm adapter ring:
I recall seeing this on the forum before, as I was considering it as a hood option for my DA L 35mm 2.4, but I could not for the life of me find a 49-28 step down ring. Where did you ever find this?!

I found plenty of step-UP rings that went from 28-to-49, but never the other way around.

03-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Try step-down adapter rings.

Each of the lenses in this photo has a 49-37 followed by a 37-30.5mm adapter ring. If that works for a 21mm lens, there's a good chance it works for a 24mm lens:

Wow now that's different! I'm surprised you aren't seeing serious vignetting issues with the step-down rings on the DA's...just goes to show that I still have a lot to learn I guess.

I'll give that a shot as it seems an effective approach that's both cheap and compact.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Sold Bear's option is an excellent one--I had not thought about that. For my Ensinor 24mm 2.8 Macro, which has 52mm front threads like the Sigma (I believe) I bought this hood @ the Bay:

52mm Flower Petal Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax | eBay

btw, there is another seller selling precise hood for $1.50, if you are as cheap as I am. Free shipping Jeff. I have the hood--it is made as well as any original plastic hood I've seen, but threads in, and even has a retaining nut to hold it steady.

If you are looking for a longer hood, scout the Bay, use the Step Up rings to get desired length.
Thanks for the comments Jewelltrail, that certainly is cheaper. Does such a small hood make a noticeable improvement to flare/contrast problems on your Ensinor?
03-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Jeff: Thanks for the comments Jewelltrail, that certainly is cheaper. Does such a small hood make a noticeable improvement to flare/contrast problems on your Ensinor?
Jeff, I have been shooting the Ensinor up to this point, hoodless---no real concerns. However, it makes good sense to have a hood, of course, so I got one, but I only did this a month ago & have not had time to shoot with it yet.

One of the neat things about the hood, with the retaining nut, you only need to screw in a few threads, then lock the hood in place with the nut. The less you screw the hood into the filter ring, the more the hood will stand out. Of course, we are probably only talking 3/8ths of an inch here--but that can make all the difference.

You can also buy the same hood, for 55mm, which must be larger, then use a Step Up ring. This will give you more glare protection, but not sure if it is enough--I'm not sure how much you want. Do you have any idea how far out you want the hood to reach, that would determine which hood to buy.

Edit: I have used this style (Flower PEtal Hood) on other lenses with success against flare/glare. Every Tammy lens I've bought came with one--my 10-20 Siggy too.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 03-27-2011 at 11:15 PM.
03-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #7

For all my lenses I've a lenshood designed for a 1,5 tighter lens.
Would buy an old school metal hood designed for 35mm lens on FF for a 24mm.
For my Voigtlander 20mm I found an old stock new nikon hood for 28mm, works great.
For my m85 I found an old hood designed for the K135/3.5 ...and so on...
03-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Also, for those of you that own the original hood, can it flip backwards onto the lens for storage?
The original Sigma hood cannot flip backwards for storage - it holds onto the lens/filter threads by some spring action little grips (you squeeze them to get the hood on/off). This also prevents the use of a lens cap with the hood at the same time, since it grips the threads from the inside. While the hood is easy to put on/off, you need to store it detached from the lens.

03-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I use a metal hood from a Nikor F 28/3.5. I've ordered a $4 adjustable rubber hood to try. It can be trimmed to give maximum shading w/o vignetting. I like rubber hoods as they reduce the chance of damaging the lens on impact.
03-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there is a spread sheet available, through a link on the forum, called Hoodcalc. This can be used to calculate the optimum hood for any lens, based upon the field of view of that lens for the sensor size used,.

Note that once you get this spread sheet, there are 2 things to consider. the diameter of the lens is the actual front element diameter of your lens (and not the filter screw thread diameter) and second, the length calculated is based upon the distance from the centerline of the front element, not the end of the screw threads.

If you consider these points, by entering the front element diameter correctly, and by subtracting the set back of the front element from the filter threads, from the hood length given as a result, it works pretty well
03-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
The original Sigma hood cannot flip backwards for storage - it holds onto the lens/filter threads by some spring action little grips (you squeeze them to get the hood on/off). This also prevents the use of a lens cap with the hood at the same time, since it grips the threads from the inside. While the hood is easy to put on/off, you need to store it detached from the lens.
Thanks for the info, that's a real shame. I'll have to find a good metal version, I don't like rubber because it grabs onto my bag when I try to replace/remove my camera w/ lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I use a metal hood from a Nikor F 28/3.5. I've ordered a $4 adjustable rubber hood to try. It can be trimmed to give maximum shading w/o vignetting. I like rubber hoods as they reduce the chance of damaging the lens on impact.
I'll try to find a copy, thanks for the suggestion!

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
there is a spread sheet available, through a link on the forum, called Hoodcalc. This can be used to calculate the optimum hood for any lens, based upon the field of view of that lens for the sensor size used,.

Note that once you get this spread sheet, there are 2 things to consider. the diameter of the lens is the actual front element diameter of your lens (and not the filter screw thread diameter) and second, the length calculated is based upon the distance from the centerline of the front element, not the end of the screw threads.

If you consider these points, by entering the front element diameter correctly, and by subtracting the set back of the front element from the filter threads, from the hood length given as a result, it works pretty well
Found it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/78460-how-sele...tml#post800234

I'll have to wait to measure the lens before I can compute a length, but this should help a ton! Thanks!
03-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
I could not for the life of me find a 49-28 step down ring. Where did you ever find this?!
I bought 4 or 5 from FleaBay. I think I paid less than $4 a piece (free shipping from Shanghai or Hong Kong).