Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What WA or UWA lens would you get?
DA 14 f2.8 ED 57.94%
DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited 2133.33%
DA 21mm F3.2 Limited 46.35%
DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF] 1219.05%
Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM 711.11%
Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM 1219.05%
Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 Di II   00%
OTHER - PLEASE LIST BELOW! 23.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One down, WA/UWA to go.. Next lens?

Ok so after my last poll dealing with longer range I've decided on the D FA100mm WR Macro because of it being able to pull double duty for macro (and I do love my water drop photography!). So now I want something for my excursions out hiking/camping.. as much as I would love to just get the 31mm Ltd, I don't think that is nearly wide enough after seeing all the DA14/DA15/DA21 shots! So I'll run another poll, and any words of wisdom, pro's/con's of lenses and suggestions of ones not in the poll would be great!

03-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I chose the 12-24 because it covers most angles you will need and does not pigeon hole you into one focal length but I am also a person that prefers zooms over primes and the 12-24 renders some very good IQ, can be on the same level as any of the primes you listed. In the end though, you cannot go wrong with any of those choices.
03-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
12-24 and 8-16 and 15ltd, then the fish eye...
03-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I was only going to take one lens on a hike, it would be the DA 12-24, because of its versatility. If I was going to confine myself to a single prime, it would either be the DA 21 or the K 28/3.5. If I had the 20-30mm range covered by another lens, I might consider the DA 15. But I wouldn't want to be confined solely to an ultra-wide FOV on a hike.

03-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The 12-24 has a very versatile range, excellent IQ, and is wider than the primes.
03-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
If I was only going to take one lens on a hike, it would be the DA 12-24, because of its versatility. If I was going to confine myself to a single prime, it would either be the DA 21 or the K 28/3.5. If I had the 20-30mm range covered by another lens, I might consider the DA 15. But I wouldn't want to be confined solely to an ultra-wide FOV on a hike.
Well I'm sure I would be bringing my 18-135mm WR lens as well, just its IQ is far from what I was hoping, so if I was shooting anything wide, I would change it out in a heartbeat.
03-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Is size a problem? The 12-24 isnt a small lens, the hood alone is like a dinner plate. Other than that it is one of the best wide lenses out there.

03-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I have been thinking about making the 15mm my next lens purchase. However I recently stumbled across the rumors of a 12-35mm WR being the next lens from Pentax. If this is true I can guarantee that will be my next purchase. I wish it was more than just rumor though, but fortunately I can't afford more gear at the moment.
03-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

8-16...Wiiiiiiiiiidddddddddeeeeeeee!!!!...i'm deciding on a UWA too and i'm really impressed by this one...gotta say i like the 12-24 too, and have been very very near of buying one of those several times...but can't decide. Maybe i'm just waiting for one to pop-up with a price i won't be able to resist.

Tell a bit more about that 12-35.
03-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
8-16...Wiiiiiiiiiidddddddddeeeeeeee!!!!...i'm deciding on a UWA too and i'm really impressed by this one...gotta say i like the 12-24 too, and have been very very near of buying one of those several times...but can't decide. Maybe i'm just waiting for one to pop-up with a price i won't be able to resist.

Tell a bit more about that 12-35.
Pentax DA 12-35mm DC WR lens coming - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com
03-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Size isn't a huge problem, but the less to carry, the better.. thats where the primes have a huge advantage. I think I would get the Sigma 10-20 over the pentax 12-24, a bit wider, both are bigger lenses, IQ is good on both, but the Sigma has a WAY better warranty. I haven't seen any pics from the Sigma 8-16.. something to look into I guess. I would consider a 12-35mm WR as long as it has the same DC motor and dumps the SDM.
03-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I had a Sigma 10-20 and while there's nothing wrong with it, I just never really connected with it the way I did with the DA15. There's a reason the 15 has so many fans. It is an addictive lens. If I ever had a need for something wider, I might consider the 8-16. I've seen some really interesting shots from that lens that would not have been possible with anything else. BUT I personally find that I just don't ever need to go wider than 15. Size, weight, and construction are all big bonuses.
03-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #13

I really love my DA15 limited. It is a great lens. Also if you already have FA43 and DFA100 macro – both fit 49 mm filters, so you can use one filter set for all three lenses.
Best regards,
Yuriy
03-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
I really love my DA15 limited. It is a great lens. Also if you already have FA43 and DFA100 macro – both fit 49 mm filters, so you can use one filter set for all three lenses.
Best regards,
Yuriy
A very large number of Pentax's lenses are 49mm filter threads, especially their small primes. Both their modern and older lenses. I don't think this is a make-or-break-it element to the decision process at work here, but it IS convenient to be able to tether a single 49mm pinch-cap to my K-7 and use it with whatever lens happens to be on the camera at the time. Whatever ends up back in the bag when I switch lenses can get a free floating lens cap.

I'm really enjoying my 15 Ltd, but I've never used the other lenses so I'm not sure I can advise you from any other standpoint than saying that you will be getting a good lens if you go the same route I did. But then, I think all the lenses you listed are probably good lenses, so I think it probably has more to do with your shooting style and needs. Size, cost, flexibility of a zoom range? I feel like the wider end of the spectrum has more varied opinions than the middle and short/medium telephoto range.
03-28-2011, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Somehow I overlooked the fact that hiking/camping is a major potential factor driving your decision. Let me offer a bit of perspective as someone who purchased his K-7 and DA35macro specifically for the purpose of backpacking continuously from Georgia to Maine with them in tow:

You can do a LOT with a single focal length. I had one lens for my entire 6-month, 2200-mile journey and it was fixed. And when you're hiking around, weight matters. It really does. Unless you're only hiking a handful of miles a day and expect a LOT of time to shoot, and have a huge backpack where you can carry extra gear and predict you will actually take the time and effort necessary to remove it, dig around in your supplies, swap lenses, carefully compose shots, etc., then I don't think you should backpack with more than one lens. Anything that's not already on your camera and immediately accessible is dead weight you probably won't get around to using.

So, point number 2, mentioned above: your camera needs to be immediately accessible. I had a holster-style camera bag that I converted to a fanny-pack of sorts, so I could have the camera resting at my left hip, literally at the ready like a trusty firearm whenever I needed it. If you can't reach if with your hands while still wearing your backpack, you're probably not going to use it, unless, again, you're expecting a GREAT deal of leisure time. So your camera+lens needs to be small enough to fit into a convenient, independent camera bag. Others may disagree with me on this, but this was the strategy I settled on and it worked for the entire Appalachian Trail. You can't have a camera swinging around your neck when you hike, and it can't be sitting in your backpack. In the former situation you're not going to end up anywhere and run the risk of hurting your equipment; in the latter, you will simply never use it. Sad, but true!

Alright, so size matters, weight matters, accessibility matters. I do feel that in the backcountry, versatility also matters. Again, unless you think you're going camping primarily as a photographic expedition, you might be surprised at how difficult it is to consider swapping lenses a reasonable activity. So you really need a focal length, or a focal length range, that you are comfortable with. This is going to be different for different people. I chose my 35macro because it was a middle of the road focal length lens with excellent close focus abilities. However, I was disappearing into the wilderness for 6 months, so you might not be as concerned about making sure all your bases are covered for half a year. You might feel like going on a camping trip with an eye for wide angle, or an eye for telephoto, or an eye for macro, and hey, you'll get the other types next time. Something to think about...

Another thought: I don't know where you're going to be hiking, but it's surprising how dark and close the forest actually is. If you are expecting lots of sweeping vistas this may be less of a problem, but there are surprisingly few wide angle scenes to be captured under canopy. And when there are, it's going to be dark -- are you packing a tripod? Lightweight? Will it support a large lens?

All this may not be very helpful: I can tell you that on my own trip there was no shortage of times when I wished I had something way longer, or something way wider, or a zoom in this range, or whatever. Backpacking photography is a long list of compromises.

Which ones will you make?