Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I cannot see how this setup is superior to the standard hood and cap, and it is ugly to boot. But if it makes you happy, then by all means use it. Is it the slide-on cap on the 43 that some people dislike? The 77 Limited has one also, and mine has never slipped off.

Rob
Ugly I will not argue, although a plastic snap-in 49mm cap hardly enhances one's Limited lenses. But these stop-down hoods are useful. On the 43mm, one does a much better job of shading the front element than the dedicated hood (which is too wide for a DSLR sensor). So the latter can be put away for safekeeping. These have a lower profile, too, especially for say a 135mm lens where otherwise you need a fair bit of length to your hood. I was convinced by the convenience and effectiveness of the DA40's hood, which is excellent. If they make you unhappy, though, you should certainly not use them.

04-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
That above is way too much plastic for my liking.
Whatever it is, "too much plastic" it is not.

The step-down ring adapters are all metal. The only thing plastic is the lens cap. But do most lens caps plastic?

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
... especially for say a 135mm lens...
Since you mentioned "135mm lens"....

My Vivitar 135mm close-focusing has a slightly different treatment: a 62-49 step down ring, followed by a Pentax 49mm round hood (the one for 50mm F/1.8 Takumar). A nice thing is that I still can use a 49mm cap with center pinch. This is much more compact and efficient than a 62mm hood.

BTW, the "a la DA40" hoods is the way to go if you want to fit 4 Ltd lenses in the Pentax DA Limited Lens Case:

Last edited by SOldBear; 04-01-2011 at 11:13 AM.
04-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Banned

Which 2 step-down rings would you use for a 43mm ltd? (ie. what should the resulting opening size be?)

edit: and a 31mm ltd?

Last edited by Hound Tooth; 04-01-2011 at 01:27 PM.
04-01-2011, 07:00 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Hound Tooth, for the 43 I use a 49 --> 37 and then a 37--> 30.5. then for a cap I have been using a fuji film canister cap, but I just ordered some snap in 30.5mm caps.

For the 31 I use a straight 58mm tube that was a part of an adapter for some other system. Not sure if there is a better way.

04-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #20
Banned

Hound Tooth, for the 43 I use a 49 --> 37 and then a 37--> 30.5. then for a cap I have been using a fuji film canister cap, but I just ordered some snap in 30.5mm caps.

For the 31 I use a straight 58mm tube that was a part of an adapter for some other system. Not sure if there is a better way.
Thanks! Good info!
04-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ugly I will not argue, although a plastic snap-in 49mm cap hardly enhances one's Limited lenses. But these stop-down hoods are useful. On the 43mm, one does a much better job of shading the front element than the dedicated hood (which is too wide for a DSLR sensor). So the latter can be put away for safekeeping. These have a lower profile, too, especially for say a 135mm lens where otherwise you need a fair bit of length to your hood. I was convinced by the convenience and effectiveness of the DA40's hood, which is excellent. If they make you unhappy, though, you should certainly not use them.
I don't see what sensor size has to do with it. Even though the lens was designed for FF, the hood was designed to shade all of the glass, including the central portion, behind which the APS-C sensor sits. Also, the front glass piece on the 43 Limited is of very small diameter (incredibly small, in fact) and thus is less exposed to stray light entering from the side. So, although it is true that the smaller sensor can accept a longer or narrower hood, one would be hard pressed to show any IQ advantage.

I am not opposed to individuals building their own rigs. Actually, I admire them for doing it, but in this case, I do not see the point.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 04-03-2011 at 11:59 AM.
04-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Perhaps I should have said "you can get away with a narrower hood if you are only looking to expose an APS-C sized area". It is true that a dedicated hood will usually do a decent job. I doubt one would see, under most normal circumstances, an "IQ benefit". However, when I find myself in the position of owning a lens without owning a hood for it, I consider whether one of this type will work. It is an inexpensive way of obtaining a compact hood and lens cap combination. And for the FA43, I (like the original poster) wasn't crazy about the included hood/cap combo, so I looked for something else.

04-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #23
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Soap Quote
Got an example on this one?
Sorry I don't have a picture. I had an old 52 mm Pentax pinch cap from my original 18-55 mm MkI kit lens that clips on nicely to the inside of the hood.
04-04-2011, 04:44 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I have a bunch of extra brand new 49mm pinch caps exactly like the one linked above; PM me your address and I'll send you one
Do you ship to New Zealand?