Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

My four Helios lenses, 44M and 44-2, have all cost me less than £5 ( $8 ) they are so common I don't bother buying them anymore. Especially when people say "It's a classic lens so it's got to be worth £xx"

03-31-2011, 12:58 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Siegfried Quote
Gents,

1. Re price tags: I quite disagree with public opinion that russki lenses should be dirty cheap. I got my copy of MC 77K-4 at about $85 and I think it was underpriced. I'm assuming we're talking about a copy in a good condition w/o glass scratches and other damages.
A shot lens is a shot lens whatever brand it is carrying on its face - mouldy Takumar or Zeiss should have the same price sticker as scratched Helios or Zenitar. IMO
Objection! Your 77K is really russki and made in 90-s. Thus it's neither Soviet, nor common. It's rather rare and multi-coated. The good copy of Helios goes for $30, I had 3 descent copies from 'for free' to $10. In Russia, if you want to get Zenit or FED camera, you should just ask few friends to look up in their closets.

QuoteOriginally posted by Siegfried Quote

2. Re names: boy, soviets loved giving their babies special names. If going into optics then there were some greek and roman traces (also can be considered being celestial): e.g. Helios, Jupiter, Vega, Altair, Zodiak, Meteor, Oreon, Uran. Since most of optical engineering school was based on expropriated german developments then we had those -tar lenses (mostly till ~60's): Industar, Russar, Zenitar (the latter lived till the end of Soviet Soyuz).
There were some generic names too: Mir (in russian this means both world as well as peace), Yantar (the amber), Era, Rubin, Lutch (beam), Leningrad, Karat (carat), Avrora (Aurora, also the famous soviet cruiser ship).
But there were some signs of politics too, but quite hidden. Granit (granite) - well, what's that special in this name? At the 1st sight: nothing. But just the same name was given to special tires used on black bullet-proof limo's: Zil. Long story short - that was a hint for a soviet person to be as firm as granite.

Re soviet labels in general. Do you know the label for a police baton? Laska (petting, endearment). Handcuffs have two models: Nezhnost (tenderness) model #1 and model #2. I can go further on this almost endlessly - boy, I love this label school!

Zig
Thus Altair has Arabic origin and Aurora cruiser was made in 1900, 17 years before revolution, and was captured by American government in Manila... You are right! And I'll give some more examples of Russian naming tradition.

F.E.D. - Felix Edmundovitch Dzerjinsky, Soviet security agency minister. Also the tradition of acronym names came from USA.
Artillery guns: Carnation, Acacia, Peony, Tulip, Hyacinth (the last two can fire nuclear projectiles)
Intercontinental ballistic nuclear missile Kurier (courier)
... and so on.

Also I've heard a legend about labeling. After WWII Soviet machinery made new car (redesigned Ford B). Head of the car factory decided to call it Rodina (Motherland). When the car was presented to Stalin, he asked the head of the factory sarcastically: And how much do you want for Motherland? The car was named Pobeda (victory).
04-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
someone explain to me why anyone would want to fake a helios?

sorry couldn't resist. probably just production variences or using old parts
After reading this thread I have just concluded an ebay deal for a 44m-7 (I already have the 44m) after a conversation with the Russian seller.

It also has an AUTO/MAN switch and this formed part of my questioning of the Vendor.

What he told me is that the -7 is and/or has been manufactured with and without an A/M switch and that serial numbers are irrelevant in that the units continue to be manufactured. In other words it is very possible to buy a 44M with a later S/N than the -7.

He also pointed out "Why would we manufacture or sell frauds - this lens is one of the cheapest lenses to produce in Russia?".

I figured that for the price ($55) - what the heck!
01-28-2014, 10:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got one of these on the presumtion that it was genuine. Certainly the seller appeared to be surprised at the finding. Unfortunately, I wish I had read some details here before actually buying the lens; 8 blades, A/M switch and dodgy serial number. The front plate with the 44M-7 also looks incongruous and too new.

I've kept the lens. For what I paid for it, I reckon it's still worth it. It does seem to take great pictures, so what the hell. I don't know how big a difference there is between the 44m and the M7, but I'm sure it's neglible..But hey, I'm a newbie around these parts and it's all part of the learnin'

11-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #20

I know it's an old thread but hey ho - worth pointing out to potential buyers of the 44M-7 from FSR

I had a chat with someone on the mflens forum who bought a fake 44M-7. You can imagine how thrilled I was to discover he'd bought it from the same buyer I am currently awaiting the same thing from. Might even get it today. Looks like I overpaid about $20 for this lens but lesson learnt I guess. I will post photo when it arrives. Hopefully it's a good 44M-2. I've already ordered a 44M-4 via my sister in the UK. Slippery slope I think.

Will reveal seller at some point too once I confirm I've been sent a fake and see how the vendor responds. Not well I suspect.