Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Frankesnteine Helios 44M 7 - weird fake?

I just got this lens from eBay seller in Moscow. It was sold as Helios 44M 7 MC. When I got it I found that I seems to have Helios 44M with *HELIOS* ring replaced with 44M 7. It has preset switch, no MC, serial number 8188269 that indicates manufacturing year of 1981 while 44M 7 production started at 1990 or after.
To top of that condition *good* means that I almost can not move the focus ring, it is so stiff.
What you think? Maybe there is an *earlier* version of 44M 7(that is what they told me to my letter).

Attached Images

Last edited by vanakaru; 03-29-2011 at 10:17 AM.
03-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi
I have a 44m and it is the same as yours right down to the color of
the lettering..Looks like your front ring was replaced with a -7 one.
The -7 ones that I have seen do not have the same type of focus ring.
90% of the old USSR lenses I have had to have the grease cleaned and replaced.
On a good note I had a -6 MC lens and sold it because the 44m gave me better images.
03-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

i have the 44M-7 and mine does not look like that one at all, nor does it have an a/m switch. could be a fake.
03-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

FWIW, here are pics of mine:

Helios 44M7

03-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
It is not a bad lens actually.
We can buy old russian lenses safely from eBay - usually from Germany and together with the Zenit camera. Usually I ask the seller to dump the camera to save shipping cost.
So I wonder why they bother to do the mess in Moscow. 44M sells about the same price and v.7 that is still in production or at least there is more of them around. And if I were to do this trick I would change 44M 4 that looks identical and you would never suspect. Also 44M4 is so much common and cheapest of the kind. And was still in production in 1990 - so the serial NR would not give away.
As for stiff focus it really is common. The grease used must have been poor quality that it stiffens over time. But the lens is not too difficult to take apart and put together right. So I am not sure if I risk returning the lens and loosing both the money and the lens.
BTW the seller is moscowphoto so be aware what you may get.

Last edited by vanakaru; 03-29-2011 at 10:19 AM.
03-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
someone explain to me why anyone would want to fake a helios?

sorry couldn't resist. probably just production variences or using old parts
03-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Pretty much what I think. Why would waste time and money doing a fake Helios 44?

03-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #8

Vanakaru,
greetings from the home of Helios.

My bet goes for 80% fake: mostly cause of the serial number (and the way they do business here, but I'm not blaming that particular seller since he might not be aware of the history of this particular copy).

As for the stiff focus ring: yep, russki lens are all the same. And know what? I love it, seriously. It's just a matter of taste, but I like it stiff and 'silky smooth' focus ring of 15-ish Lim is too light for me, I wish it were a bit on stiffer side.

Nevertheless, if you don't find any glass scratches or any singes of mold or such - I hope you'll like this lens. Biotar design will sometimes (depends on aperture set and focus distance) give you twisted bokeh, but you'll learn how to deal - use and/or aviod - and live with it pretty shortly.

Good luck,
Zig
03-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Your fears are correct. It is a Helios 44M grafted with a 44M-7 face. The serial #, color and face of the lettering, and construction are the keys. BTW...the lens in your picture was made in 1979, not 1981 based on the serial number visible in the photo #3. The lens is essentially identical to my 1978 copy except that mine is much cleaner.

It is tempting to suggest that you publish the name of the Moscow dealer as a warning to other potential buyers.

Steve
03-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Pretty much what I think. Why would waste time and money doing a fake Helios 44?
The 44M-6 and 44M-7 are multi-coated and have the reputation of being somewhat better than the lower numbered versions and command a premium price. I have seen auctions go as high as $75 - $85 USD for these two versions. The 44M and 44M-4, on the other hand usually go for less than $35 in EX+ condition. I paid $15 for mine.

Purchasers of the Helios 44 lenses should keep in mind that more copies of this series lens were made than any other 35mm SLR lens in history. Literally millions of these 58mm, Zeiss-derived, lenses were made. Despite their undeniable optical qualities, all Helios 44 are common as crows and not worth a premium price. Period.

Steve

(One of my favorite lenses and one that I will never sell.)

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-29-2011 at 10:15 PM.
03-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Lowelll, I laughed so hard when this post hit my brain that my stomach muscles knotted up!
03-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The 44M-6 and 44M-7 are multi-coated and have the reputation of being somewhat better than the lower numbered versions and command a premium price. I have seen auctions go as high as $75 - $85 USD for these two versions. The 44M and 44M-4, on the other hand usually go for less than $35 in EX+ condition. I paid $15 for mine.

Purchasers of the Helios 44 lenses should keep in mind that more copies of this series lens were made than any other 35mm SLR lens in history. Literally millions of these 58mm, Zeiss-derived, lenses were made. Despite their undeniable optical qualities, all Helios 44 are common as crows and not worth a premium price. Period.

Steve

(One of my favorite lenses and one that I will never sell.)
Alright, I swore I would not buy another lens, not until I at least made a decision on whether or not to buy into a new sytem. However, all this Helios mystique and the following it has generated have finally enveloped me--only way out, buy a Helios. Besides, M42 will work on other systems too.

BTW, can someone please tell me how a Russian made lens came to acquire the name of the Greek god of the Sun--Helios??? A good trivia question for you Mr stevebrot
03-30-2011, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteQuote:
BTW, can someone please tell me how a Russian made lens came to acquire the name of the Greek god of the Sun--Helios??? A good trivia question for you Mr stevebrot
The same way the Taiwan made Japanese camera got the name of the Greek goddess of sunrise - Eos. (also in Japanese it's 'asahi'. wait, oh shi....)

It's a good Soviet tradition to give sweet and pretty names to the evil masterpieces of Soviet engineering. That's how some lenses acquired the names of Greek and Roman gods - Helios, Jupiter and just pretty names - Volna (wave), Mir (world), Zenith.

About focusing ring. It can be: thick oil (leave the lens outside under the sun for some time); dust, sand inside (CLA can help); soviet assembling (it'll get better with time till loose and wobble)

Someone can make one working lens from 2 or 3 broken helioses - it's very easy. Someone can put a ring from one lens on another to get extra 20 bucks. Steve's right - they are cheap. Moreover, you should not trust ebay lens sellers from Russia. Good copies are all in good hands, other crap can be found at the local flea market for 5-10 bucks. Ebay sellers offer you the same crap as 'legendary soviet lens' for $100 and more.

in Soviet Russia lens focuses you - that was funny
03-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #14

Gents,

1. Re price tags: I quite disagree with public opinion that russki lenses should be dirty cheap. I got my copy of MC 77K-4 at about $85 and I think it was underpriced. I'm assuming we're talking about a copy in a good condition w/o glass scratches and other damages.
A shot lens is a shot lens whatever brand it is carrying on its face - mouldy Takumar or Zeiss should have the same price sticker as scratched Helios or Zenitar. IMO

But for some unknown reason lens market does not agree with me on this.

2. Re names: boy, soviets loved giving their babies special names. If going into optics then there were some greek and roman traces (also can be considered being celestial): e.g. Helios, Jupiter, Vega, Altair, Zodiak, Meteor, Oreon, Uran. Since most of optical engineering school was based on expropriated german developments then we had those -tar lenses (mostly till ~60's): Industar, Russar, Zenitar (the latter lived till the end of Soviet Soyuz).
There were some generic names too: Mir (in russian this means both world as well as peace), Yantar (the amber), Era, Rubin, Lutch (beam), Leningrad, Karat (carat), Avrora (Aurora, also the famous soviet cruiser ship).
But there were some signs of politics too, but quite hidden. Granit (granite) - well, what's that special in this name? At the 1st sight: nothing. But just the same name was given to special tires used on black bullet-proof limo's: Zil. Long story short - that was a hint for a soviet person to be as firm as granite.

Re soviet labels in general. Do you know the label for a police baton? Laska (petting, endearment). Handcuffs have two models: Nezhnost (tenderness) model #1 and model #2. I can go further on this almost endlessly - boy, I love this label school!

Zig

Accented vowels are shown in bold

Last edited by Siegfried; 03-30-2011 at 11:52 AM.
03-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Nomad PS: It's a good Soviet tradition to give sweet and pretty names to the evil masterpieces of Soviet engineering. That's how some lenses acquired the names of Greek and Roman gods - Helios, Jupiter and just pretty names - Volna (wave), Mir (world), Zenith.
As fate would have it, here in our Forum's lens database, the Helios 44-2 is reveiwed by a user named Ikarus. BTW, the review is the least flattering of the 15 reviews in there.