Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

DA 55-300mm front focus

I have bought this lens half year ago and did not noticed front focusing issue immediately. I can see the FF more pronounced at 55mm and it disappears when going further to 200 and 300mm.

I was shooting this indoor with flash. I have not a lot of time to do this during day light. Unfortunately the test chart I made is very shaky but it illustrates the issue.

Cropped images & Original images

Is there anything I can do within my K-x to make this better or shall I directly approach Pentax service?

thanks for suggestions

03-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, there is the debug mode where you can enter a correction. This will apply to all lenses and you would have to do this every time if your other lenses do not have a similar problem. (In case you want to try do a search the site / Internet for the instructions to activate it. It is worth noting that with the debug mode it is possible to mess up the camera with careless use.)
03-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just a suggestion, that you should probably change the topic title to say "front focusing" rather than simply "FF"... cause I was thinking it meant "Full Frame" and was wondering what was going on here. heh.
03-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I know about the debug mode but I didn't want to mess around with it a lot. Another thing is that it would complicate the work with other lenses. Other lenses seems just fine.

Would the correction affect other focal lengths?

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
... you should probably change the topic title to say "front focusing" rather than simply "FF"...
I am not sure how to change the topic title

03-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hramat Quote

It will affect other lenses as well as all focal lengths of the 55-300. I guess having the lens (warranty?) serviced would be the thing to do,

I changed the topic for you (the implementation does not let the poster to do that).
03-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hramat Quote
I know about the debug mode but I didn't want to mess around with it a lot. Another thing is that it would complicate the work with other lenses. Other lenses seems just fine.

well if you really looked into the debug mode, it can be used to apply such correction for one specific lens or all lens. I don't see why it would complicate other lenses.
03-29-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
well if you really looked into the debug mode, it can be used to apply such correction for one specific lens or all lens. I don't see why it would complicate other lenses.
I am not sure if this is possible with K-x. I have only get to:

Camera and also the lens is still within the warranty period and I do not want to mess it. Already several times while trying debug mode I got to some blank screen. I would much rather ship it to pentax to adjust if it is possible.

I am also not sure how the debug mode could adjust the various FF levels on other focal length.
Is this normal that the FF is more pronounced on various focal lengths?