Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #1

Lens choice, as usual

Like many others, I'm asking those with bigger bags what to get next for my smaller bag so that I may one day too need a bigger bag.

I have a K100d Super and love it. Rather, I bought it for my wife and have since learned to enjoy photography and all the vast amounts of knowledge there is to gain concerning making good pictures. As some of you may have seen, I pondered getting a second body (K200d was on my list, although I considered a K10 as well) so that I could have my own, but I realized I was truly unlikely to carry a camera as much as I want to and that having one DSLR in the house is good enough for now... at least until we're ready to make the jump to the K20 or K30 (I know... speculating).

That said, I've added my lens list to my signature... wondering where to go next. Someone mentioned that we buy Pentax for the glass, so might as well buy the best... which has made me really think about jumping into the limited line of lenses. Based on reviews, I want the FA-77. Am I going to find myself sitting down the Tamron 90 if I get a 77? I.e, is this too close of FL considering my small lens collection? I love the Tammy Macro. All the lenses I've bought after the kit lenses I've planned on keeping indefinitely and not having to "step up" later. We're both sorta finding things we like to shoot based on each lens we acquire, so there isn't anything in our photography skill set that defines the next purchase. I just want something that will add to the quality of pictures we can take. As awesome as the kit lenses are, I'm slowly trying to replace them with better glass and/or add to the photographic options we have (like with the wide angle Sigma and the Macro on the Tammy). I don't feel my skills warrant a $2-4K fast zoom yet, so I'm trying to stay reasonable while also investing in something I won't replace later.

You've probably heard this before, but I'm guessing that's part of why we're here... to propagate Pentax gear. Anyway, thoughts on adding the 77 to my collection? Other suggestions that would make a good next addition? I'm obviously not opposed to 3rd party options, or buying used if there's something out of production that would be a sweet bag-mate for my lenses (or replacement... sorry guys, one of you kit lenses are eventually going to get moved to the drawer).

Don't see my lens list showing up on the post, so the [short] list is kit lenses 18-55/55-200, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90 Macro, Takumar Fifty 1.4.

Last edited by idig4phish; 03-28-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: adding lens list
03-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The FA 77 is not a macro, so it is not going to totally replace the Tamron 90 for that.

You could consider an inexpensive 35 DAL or more expensive DA Limited. With the 10-20 and 50, it would free you from the kit lens.

The Tamron 28-75 would complement the 10-20, and it's pretty fast with excellent IQ. But if you get that, the 77 becomes expensive redundancy.
03-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You want a 77 ltd - there is no other justification you need to get one.
But seriously, keep your Tamron 90 macro and replace the 18-55 with a Tamron 17-50 or 28-75 as has been mentioned. The Sigma is a decent ultra wide choice if you want something in that range, but you should justify the lenses by what you want/need to capture with it.
03-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unless you plan on ditching the macro, skip the 77 for now. They are pretty close in focal length and utility. Consider the FA 43 and selling the takumar, or the DA 70.

03-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Instead of the FA77Ltd, consider a more general purpose prime. 77mm is to close to the 90mm to give real benefits from a focal length.

If you want to spend the money on the FA77Ltd, you can as well consider the FA31Ltd. 31mm is for me a perfect focal length; it basically lives on my camera 100% of the time and I don't often feel that I need longer or wider; recently I had to shoot some large objects and had to fall back on the kit lens for the first time in approx 1000 photos. I suggest that you set your kit lens on 31mm and use it for an outing on that focal length and see if it works for you as a universal lens (just don't cheat ).

31mm and 90mm would already make a nice kit for me (ok, I have 31 and 100); add the 10-20mm and you're done for most work except possibly wildlife / birds.

If you want to keep it more affordable, earlier mentioned DA(L)35/2.4 instead of FA31Ltd.

This is just the prime route (as you mentioned the FA77Ltd).
03-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by idig4phish Quote
Like many others, I'm asking those with bigger bags what to get next for my smaller bag so that I may one day too need a bigger bag.

I have a K100d Super and love it. Rather, I bought it for my wife and have since learned to enjoy photography and all the vast amounts of knowledge there is to gain concerning making good pictures. As some of you may have seen, I pondered getting a second body (K200d was on my list, although I considered a K10 as well) so that I could have my own, but I realized I was truly unlikely to carry a camera as much as I want to and that having one DSLR in the house is good enough for now... at least until we're ready to make the jump to the K20 or K30 (I know... speculating).

That said, I've added my lens list to my signature... wondering where to go next. Someone mentioned that we buy Pentax for the glass, so might as well buy the best... which has made me really think about jumping into the limited line of lenses. Based on reviews, I want the FA-77. Am I going to find myself sitting down the Tamron 90 if I get a 77? I.e, is this too close of FL considering my small lens collection? I love the Tammy Macro. All the lenses I've bought after the kit lenses I've planned on keeping indefinitely and not having to "step up" later. We're both sorta finding things we like to shoot based on each lens we acquire, so there isn't anything in our photography skill set that defines the next purchase. I just want something that will add to the quality of pictures we can take. As awesome as the kit lenses are, I'm slowly trying to replace them with better glass and/or add to the photographic options we have (like with the wide angle Sigma and the Macro on the Tammy). I don't feel my skills warrant a $2-4K fast zoom yet, so I'm trying to stay reasonable while also investing in something I won't replace later.

You've probably heard this before, but I'm guessing that's part of why we're here... to propagate Pentax gear. Anyway, thoughts on adding the 77 to my collection? Other suggestions that would make a good next addition? I'm obviously not opposed to 3rd party options, or buying used if there's something out of production that would be a sweet bag-mate for my lenses (or replacement... sorry guys, one of you kit lenses are eventually going to get moved to the drawer).

Don't see my lens list showing up on the post, so the [short] list is kit lenses 18-55/55-200, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90 Macro, Takumar Fifty 1.4.
you can add anything you like, and regardless of how bad someone makes out any particular lens, someone else will be able to show you stellar shots with the same peice of junk.

I personally don't get too hung up on being only pentax on lenses, and am willint to try third party makers also.

The reality is, you buy what you feel works weell for you.

Having said that, it looks like you are heading towards a portrait lens (77-90mm) so I will give you one additional (possibly) criteria to consider - Macro, and also for a pure portrait lens, look at the Samyang 85F1.4. it is manual focus but a good performer. See the samyang club for some shots.