Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by void7910 Quote
My apologies. Bokina typically refers to the Tokina ATX 90mm f2.5 macro or it's predecessor the Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 macro. For more info see this link
This is a good link that he provided

See this post for more shoot out comparison for the older lens off the same website,

Making Not Taking: 8-Lens Macro Shoot-Out

You might also find yourself into some alternatives to the Bokina, like the non-S1 90 (cheaper and easier to find) and the Kiron/Lester dine 105 (easier to find).
I ended up with the Lester Dine and the non S1 55 macro ("smaller brother" version of the non S1 90, made by Komine), and i am really impressed by the result.

of coruse, i want to get myself a Bokina too, if i found one at reasonable price

03-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by void7910 Quote
My not-so-professional opinion

set 1: Viv S1 90 definitely looks sharper but it could be slight differences in the focus plane. If the focus plane was even a little different it would be very noticeable at this level. If we assume that they were both focused exactly the same, then definitely the Viv S1 for resolution.

Set 2: The Viv S1 looks slightly crisper to me, but its harder to tell at these levels. The saturation from the modern coatings (is this correct?) on the FA is definitely starting to show here I think.

Set 3-4: With the images on the forum I can no longer discern which is sharper. The colour saturation on the FA looks better to my eyes. Also, the contrast on the FA looks better as well. The difference in contrast could be due to slight differences in the exposure values though. In the 3rd set the FA almost has a 3D pop to my eyes where as the Viv S1 looks a little "flatter"... might just be the saturation and contrast differences though...

Thank you so much for posting these. Simply amazing. I am very interested to hear other peoples opinions.
personally, it's more on the Viv S1 having more resolution. I had tried adjusting the the FA100 distance to and fro inorder to see any obvious difference in the focus plane. even at similar or farther results, the Viv S1 still is considerably sharper. honestly, I'm quite surprised that it is that sharper. I know that it is sharper, but haven't really seen it that sharper with the intricate details at macro level which important on bigger prints. this is further verified by another test on the link provided by another forum member posted previously. the FA100 ain't that bad as well in terms of contrast and colors. those are it's strengths.

anyway, the shootout is not yet over. I will do some more once the sunny weather has finally settled in. I'm also going to throw the Sigma 70 in as well in the shootout.
03-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #18

I have tested the Tokina AT-X 90mm, the Vivitar Series 105mm f2.5, the Kiron 105mm f2.8, the Sigma 105mm f2.8, the Tamron 90mm f2.8 and the Sigma 70mm f2.8. Did not test them at the same time though but the Tokina 90mm is at the top when it comes to sharpness. Maybe the 70mm is a match but I have to test that lens more, the first pictures I took with the Sigma 70mm were very sharp wide open.

So very much appreciated you do a side by side test, Pentaxor.

To be honest, not one of those lenses mentioned is a bad lens. But some of those lenses are not that sharp wide open. The Tamron wins from the Sigma, but I liked the Sigma more for other situations than macro. The older manual focus lenses lose when it comes to short tele work, the AF Tamron and Sigma just have better coatings for portraits or scenes where you need a short telelens. Did a shoot with the Sigma at the Tour de France prologue 2010 and the Sigma performed really good.

Last edited by EricR; 04-01-2011 at 01:18 AM.
03-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would suggest comparing them at equivalent aperture. The Vivitar has an aperture a bit wider and that may account for the slightly better blur.

Re: 1st set, I also think that the FA shot does not cover an in-focus area, so it's impossible to compare the sharpness based on that.

03-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote

Re: 1st set, I also think that the FA shot does not cover an in-focus area, so it's impossible to compare the sharpness based on that.
actually it's the in-focus area. it was the cropped portion of the 2nd set. anyway, I would be willing to do more tests once I get the time next week.
04-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
actually it's the in-focus area. it was the cropped portion of the 2nd set. anyway, I would be willing to do more tests once I get the time next week.
The FA image starts showing texture details in the upper right corner of the crop, so I think that shot is front focused by comparison to the VS1.
04-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm also going to throw the Sigma 70 in as well in the shootout.
Looking forward to that!

Thanks a lot for posting the comparison images, very interesting!
04-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #23
Pentaxian

the biggest difference I notice between macro lenses is the focal length and the optical design. Apochromatic Vs Achromatic* Internally focusing Vs front focusing - Characteristics that are in the end rather trivial when you see the differences in subject/background rendering between a 50mm f/2.8 macro and a 200mm f/4 macro lens. I prefer macro lenses longer than 100mm - because they give a very generous working distance at 1:1 and blur things much more effectively than shorter focal lengths do.

*Though some achromatic macro lenses below 100mm come close to being as well corrected as a true apochromat lens.