Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tell me about these 8mm f3.5 fisheye lenses

Samyang, Rokinon, Bower, Peleng, and a few others......

Are these all pretty much the same lens just re-branded?

I've got a LBA for a FE lens. I'm typically a Pentax prime glass snob (with only one non-Pentax lens in my working kit), so I'm wondering what to expect with one of these.

And how to these things compare to the DA 10-17 FE Zoom? FWIW, I've WA covered with a DA 15 and DA 21, so I'm talking specifically FE.

What say the collective?

TIA

03-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
check out the fissheye club or the samyang club in the lens club forum

I have the samyang 8mm fisheye, and while it lacks some features of other much more expensive fisheye lenses such as the ability to add rear filters, it is an excellent performer, very good coatings and resistance to flare, which is important because with a 180 degree FOV it is hard keeping the sun out of the frame.
03-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Peleng is circular, making it more curvy compared to the others.
It's freaking awesome.
Others are mostly rebranded
03-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can only speak for the Samyang 8mm Fish-eye, I really love it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/138469-nature-spring-here.html

03-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Junyu Quote
Peleng is circular, making it more curvy compared to the others.
It's freaking awesome.
Others are mostly rebranded
Just to be clear

Samyang makes the 8mm fisheye that is rebranded as Bower, ProOptic, VIvitar and a host of others....
03-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Also have the Samyang.
Love everything about it except its close focus ability. For a fisheye lens 30cm MFD is very far.
But it's sharp, amazingly flare resistant and delivers very high saturation (could be even oversaturated).
Awesome lens.
03-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Rokinon which I believe is the same lens. I really like it. The IQ and build quality surprised me for something I got for $259 (USD) new. It's gone up a little since then but not a lot. I like the rectangular image and distortion seems less than many FEs I've seen images from. Seems like a fantastic value!

03-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

look in the fisheye club or the samyang lens club and you will see sample photos
03-30-2011, 05:39 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
Samyang, Rokinon, Bower, Peleng, and a few others......

Are these all pretty much the same lens just re-branded?
Yes to Rokinon and Bower, no to Peleng, which is unrelated.

I've got a LBA for a FE lens. I'm typically a Pentax prime glass snob (with only one non-Pentax lens in my working kit), so I'm wondering what to expect with one of these.

And how to these things compare to the DA 10-17 FE Zoom? FWIW, I've WA covered with a DA 15 and DA 21, so I'm talking specifically FE.
The Samyang et al. are really somewhat unique in that they have a pleasant stereographic projection. For more on that, I'd suggest reading the introduction to the Lenstip review of the Samyang 8mm. Also of relevant from that review: "It is great news for everyone interested in the purchase of such an instrument and bad news for the dealers of Belarusian Peleng 3.5/8 mm, whose prices have recently reached a level absolutely inappropriate to its optical qualities."

Also worth reading is Ken Rockwell's review of the Samyang 8mm. Choice quote: "I kid you not: even as-shot, the Pro-Optic covers more than the Nikon 10.5mm, and almost as much as the exotic Nikon 8mm that costs ten times as much, and the Pro-Optic fits it all into a rectangle. What I really love about the projection of the Pro-Optic is how the sides and corners render the subject much larger than the other fisheyes. I find this much more useful than squashing the sides into useless mush. The Pro-Optic 8mm squashes the sides much less and is as sharp or sharper there than the Nikon lenses."
03-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Rokinon version from Amazon, and should have it in the next day or two.

Looking forward to using it on an upcoming trip.
03-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the replies.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Rokinon version from Amazon, and should have it in the next day or two.

Looking forward to using it on an upcoming trip.
Good choice! Have fun with it!