Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #76

This thread went way OT. These are just lenses...tools...that's all.

03-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spotmatic Quote
This thread went way OT. These are just lenses...tools...that's all.
Agreed. Truce.
03-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #78
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

So what would you do?

Amazing how many people know your budget and what you should do with it. Only you know your budget. As to a 31's performance and quality, lots of praise here on the forum and lots in other sources. Need reviews on user views - here or even B&H's page. Is it that good? Yes. Once you get it, now or down the road, will you be satisfied. Yes. And I am the dad who only had one lens for years - a 50mm FF (which isn't that far removed from the 31 after all in terms of actual image size on a K-line). Do I regret spending the extra on the quality of the 31mm? Is it too expensive? No, and I'm unlikely to part with it, the 43mm Ltd. or the 77mm Ltd. The three of them give me a great range and 'blow away' IQ, in my humble opinion (Too old to get used to acronyms like IMHO and can't make sense of most of the others.) Buy it. If it doesn't meet your expectations, sell it. The members in the forum alone will snap it up in a few hours. It's a great lens which, for it's quality, sells for a reasonable price.
03-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Amazing how many people know your budget and what you should do with it. Only you know your budget. As to a 31's performance and quality, lots of praise here on the forum and lots in other sources. Need reviews on user views - here or even B&H's page. Is it that good? Yes. Once you get it, now or down the road, will you be satisfied. Yes. And I am the dad who only had one lens for years - a 50mm FF (which isn't that far removed from the 31 after all in terms of actual image size on a K-line). Do I regret spending the extra on the quality of the 31mm? Is it too expensive? No, and I'm unlikely to part with it, the 43mm Ltd. or the 77mm Ltd. The three of them give me a great range and 'blow away' IQ, in my humble opinion (Too old to get used to acronyms like IMHO and can't make sense of most of the others.) Buy it. If it doesn't meet your expectations, sell it. The members in the forum alone will snap it up in a few hours. It's a great lens which, for it's quality, sells for a reasonable price.
What he said

03-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This thread is hilarious. The FA Limited lenses are obviously the best lenses in their respective focal lengths. Not only because of their rendering and speed but handling and versatility. They were designed to be better and they are better; this has nothing to do with film versus digital or personal interpretations.

The only reason to not get an FA Limited is the price. If you have the money the choice is made.

Besides price, the only down-side to these lenses in the PF when the aperture is wide. This is not unique to the Limiteds, is easily corrected and shows up very infrequently anyway.
03-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
ut then we also don't know how the 31, 43 and 77 perform on 135 sized sensors,
the FA43mm f/1.9 is brilliant on my Leica M9 at f/4 it is indistinguishable between the summilux 50mm f/1.4 ASPH, Pentax made a version of the FA43 lens in Leica thread mount which can be used on M series cameras with an adapter. I also bought a Novoflex adapter so I could mount my pentax lenses on a Leica M camera body - and I tested the FA31 on a FF 18Mp sensor of the Leica M9. The results aren't up to my exacting test standards (and wouldn't hold much water on forums for technical reasons) even having said that, I have no reservations whatsoever in stating that the Pentax FA31mm f/1.8 Limited is one of the greatest lenses in it's class.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
the only down-side to these lenses in the PF when the aperture is wide. This is not unique to the Limiteds, is easily corrected and shows up very infrequently anyway.
Quite right, Even Leica lenses can fringe under the right conditions. The only lenses that don't fringe are typically apochromatic, and there has never been a true apochromat lens shorter than 100mm for any 35mm camera.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-30-2011 at 05:22 PM.
03-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
When's the last time you saw that? I don't think I can recall seeing one in the last couple of years that was offered at even a 10% discount from a new one at B&H or Adorama.
Neither can I. It partly has to do with the MIJ premium.

I used to think the MIJ version was better, but after researching it more have changed my mind. If you search these forums, the bulk of FA 31 LTD AIV complaints were right after they moved production in 2009. There are not many complaints anymore. If there's no significant used discount, buy new and get the warranty and ability to return an unlikely bad copy.
03-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #83
Site Supporter

This thread is hilarious. The FA Limited lenses are obviously the best lenses in their respective focal lengths. Not only because of their rendering and speed but handling and versatility. They were designed to be better and they are better; this has nothing to do with film versus digital or personal interpretations.

The only reason to not get an FA Limited is the price. If you have the money the choice is made.

Besides price, the only down-side to these lenses in the PF when the aperture is wide. This is not unique to the Limiteds, is easily corrected and shows up very infrequently anyway.
Well, auto focus is faster with the Da limiteds and there is quick shift available for them. Not sure if those qualify as reasons, but I agree that the main reason I went with DA limiteds was cost related.

Also, the DA 35 limited is a very different lens from the FA 31 and those who are interested in it, would be unlikely to be satisfied with the FA 31.

Edit: I would just like to say that price is a very big deal for some people (me included). I have no idea about the OP, but I have three kids and can't really buy really expensive lenses at this point, for what is mostly a hobby endeavor. This triviality called "money" often ends up trumping image quality, sharpness and just about every other aspect of a lens. Just saying....

Last edited by Rondec; 03-31-2011 at 04:12 AM.
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #84
Veteran Member

let's say I was I rich man and I have the money in the world to keep the lenses that I like. but the catch is, I have to choose between lenses and I can't buy and keep all of them. personally, I would get the FA31 over the DA35, FA35 and any other 30mm equivalent. I think most of the people feel the same.

I believe if each of us are given a free 31mm, and given the liberty to trade the FA31 for any existing 30mm focal length equivalent, would they do it? it's a conditional question where cost is set aside but rather given the argument of IQ preference between 30mm lenses. affording to keep the lens is not an issue here but rather thinking outside of that.

heck, who doesn't want one to keep?
03-31-2011, 03:30 AM   #85

This thread is hilarious....

true and true :ugh:
03-31-2011, 03:48 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The only lenses that don't fringe are typically apochromatic, and there has never been a true apochromat lens shorter than 100mm for any 35mm camera.
A full listing of all true apochromatics available for K-mount would be interesting. I think there are very few.

Comparing shots with Leica lenses on Pentax bodies and vice versa, I have never seen any reason not to rate the FA Limiteds at the very top of their class.
03-31-2011, 06:09 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Amazing how many people know your budget and what you should do with it. Only you know your budget.
If OP metions that he/she considers a FA31Ltd, we may assume that his budget is around US$1000 or higher ).
03-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #88
Pentaxian

A full listing of all true apochromatics available for K-mount would be interesting. I think there are very few.
you would be surprised, hardly any manufacturers actually label their lenses APO even though some lenses they make certainly posses many of the defining characteristics of an apochromatic design.

It has mysified me why pentax doesn't use apochromatic designs on lenses that would obviously benefit from it e.g: DA 200mm f/2.8 - many of the 67 and 645 telephoto lenses are genuinely apochromatic as far as I can tell. Why they didn't use an apochromatic design on the DA200mm lens us utterly beyond me. At certain focus distances the bokeh fringing from the DA200mm f/2.8 can reach eye-gouging proportions.

Comparing shots with Leica lenses on Pentax bodies and vice versa.
well actually that idea was spawned by someone else, I didn't know that any one even made a Leica M mount to > Pentax k mount adapter, the reason why I haven't tested the FA77 is because there is no rangefinder coupling with this adapter, so using a pentax K mount lens on a Leica M9 is largely a stunt. But yes, I can say that the FA31mm f/1.8 can beat Leica summicron 35mm f/2 ASPH. The FA31mm f/1.8 matches the optical performance of the summilux 35mm f/1.4 ASPH - though the FA31 is a tad slower.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-31-2011 at 06:48 AM.
03-31-2011, 06:52 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
there has never been a true apochromat lens shorter than 100mm for any 35mm camera.
There are plenty of truly achromatic lenses under 100mm that can be used on 35mm cameras, but these come at a price!

- Schneider Apo-Digitar (complete range from 24mm to 150mm): Schneider Apo-Digitar

- Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital HR (now labelled HR Digaron-S, complete range from 23mm to 180mm): HR Digaron-S

- Voigltländer Apo-Lanthar 90/3.5 (you might object this is not a true apochromat, but it's the closest you'll find for the price): Voigtlander SL II Lenses

- Kinoptik Apochromat Macro 75/2 (can be ordered from the Kinoptik company in France): Kinoptik-systèmes, systèmes optiques et vision industrielle

- Kinoptik Apochromat 35/2, which is also a very fine lens, but no more produced: More Kinoptik Apochromat 2/35 Colors: Leica Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Cheers!

Abbazz
03-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #90
Veteran Member

I can't believe how far off topic this has become.

The short and long of it is that the 31 is a very good lens, but if it would cost your whole budget, it would likely be best to give yourself access to a range of focal lengths.

That is all. The 31 is a good lens. But the OP specifically stated that his/her budget was about 1000 for the next long while... which is the ONLY reason I suggested he/she look elsewhere.

The quality of the FA limiteds do not make them flexible. The FA 77 might be the best lens I have used, but it's still stuck at 77mm and not exactly a flexible beast. Since it's more expensive than everything else I own, I figure it would be prudent to sell it off and focus on investing my limited funds *wisely* across a *range* of focal lengths.

That is the crux of this issue. Sharpness, colour, contrast, bokeh, all important. The most important thing is focal length.