Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I can't believe how far off topic this has become.

The short and long of it is that the 31 is a very good lens, but if it would cost your whole budget, it would likely be best to give yourself access to a range of focal lengths.

That is all. The 31 is a good lens. But the OP specifically stated that his/her budget was about 1000 for the next long while... which is the ONLY reason I suggested he/she look elsewhere.

The quality of the FA limiteds do not make them flexible. The FA 77 might be the best lens I have used, but it's still stuck at 77mm and not exactly a flexible beast. Since it's more expensive than everything else I own, I figure it would be prudent to sell it off and focus on investing my limited funds *wisely* across a *range* of focal lengths.

That is the crux of this issue. Sharpness, colour, contrast, bokeh, all important. The most important thing is focal length.
Boy, howdy!

And with 90 replies, certainly the OP is no closer to a decision that only he can make....

03-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #92
Inactive Account

get the DA 15, DAL 35 and the DA 70

later, if you still feel the 31 itch, sell the DAL 35 and scratch an itch
this way you'll have 3 lenses and when you sell the DAL 35 you'll loose only a small amount of cash
03-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, it's hard to say. The most important thing personally, is reach and after that, wide aperture capability. Unfortunately pentax has made things a bit difficult and fussy with their rather odd aperture values and focus lengths on some of the most desireable, newer lenses. I don't think a big, bulky lens/camera is necessarily intimidating to human subjects. In my experience, most people are flattered to be in front of "impressive" equipment. It's the photographer who uses psychology and adjusts it from one scenario to the other, in order to give subjects some calm.
03-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #94
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, the K5 arrived today, and no decision has yet been made. Let me say, the K5 appears to be very well built and the functions and menus seem to be laid out quite well.

Right now, however, it only takes extremely blurry pictures .

This thread has been quite helpful, but has definitely given me a lot to think about.

I'm pretty sure i looked through just about every photo in the DA and FA club threads and the decision hasn't gotten any easier. That being said I haven't seen an extensive collection of 31 images yet. Seems like everyone has the 43. And for DA, the 35mm macro is quite impressive.

Ugh, the decisions .

03-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by feilb Quote
And for DA, the 35mm macro is quite impressive.
The 35Ltd is a good lens but... I have to tell you I'm not a big fan of it. It's pretty versatile and does most everything OK, but it only really excels at close focus ranges. The images I get out of it beyond this range tend to be very flat. This could be a reflection on my skills as a photographer, but after using it for over half a year exclusively and then buying some other lenses, I can tell you I almost never use it anymore because it really doesn't do much for me. I use it a bit at my present job for product photography, where it does very well, but once I don't need it anymore I'm probably going to sell it to finance a 43Ltd.
03-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Buy the DA 35 immediately so at least you have ONE lense !

If you like the FL then you can sell and upgrade to the 31 at virtually no loss.

BTW - I have the 43 and absolutely love it.
03-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Incidentally, if you want more image examples to help inform your decision(s), I recommend checking out the photos in these two clubs:

The FA Limited Club

and

The DA Limited Club

You can also go to PENTAX Photo Gallery, and search images by lens.

I guarantee you you are going to see amazing photos from every single lens in the FA and DA Limited series by going to any of those links: the technical and artistic skills of the photographers, both during the shot and in post processing, are heavily on display. However, I think you will be able to glean from such photos the character of each lens you are interested in better than through words. You might find one or two (or three or four or five...) that speak to you.

03-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #98

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Concerning the DA 35, it's an excellent lens. Spectacular for close focus shots such as food and flowers. I had one and sold it to finance the purchase of the FA 31. Did I regret it? Absolutely not! AF is faster and f1.8 is so convenient is low light situations. Plus, I like the FL of the FA 31 better. It's just a tad wider and closer to true normal on APS-C (46mm vs 43mm on FF). Al in all, the FA 31 is the best lens I have and the one I would choose if I could only keep one. Is it worth that kind of money? Only you can decide. My nswer is YES.
03-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Easiest way to get a true normal lens on digital is any 28mm lens.

28mm f2.8 is slow but has nice bokeh and great sharpness. F2 version is better.

31 is a step up but options do exist.
03-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #100
Pentaxian

If you have $1,000 don't buy a lens you'll sell later like many people have suggested. $1,000 is quite a nice budget to start with so do it right the first time to avoid the hassle of selling lenses later. If you want the 31 get it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

The quality of the FA limiteds do not make them flexible. The FA 77 might be the best lens I have used, but it's still stuck at 77mm and not exactly a flexible beast. Since it's more expensive than everything else I own, I figure it would be prudent to sell it off and focus on investing my limited funds *wisely* across a *range* of focal lengths.

That is the crux of this issue. Sharpness, colour, contrast, bokeh, all important. The most important thing is focal length.
I politely disagree with your point about length being the most important. The OP mentioned he wanted something less intrusive with nice IQ, so it sounds like "diminutive size and excellent performance " are the most important things to him, not focal length, or he could just buy an 18-135 and 70-300.

If quality is important, any Limited would handle the task, DA or FA. If performance, etc. is required, an FA Limited might be the best option. Also, the thing that makes my FA 77 flexible is my legs. Same thing with my 43. It's a great focal length and my legs help it to be very flexible in many situations.
03-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Also, the thing that makes my FA 77 flexible is my legs
do you bring a sledghammer with you for when you hit walls? .
03-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #102
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Zooming with your feet is not as inconveniencing as it may seem.
A few metres of focusing distance may be all that is required to get the 'focal range' you need.
And as you'd expect, FA and DA ltds aren't meant to be purchased in isolation - get the series and you have most focal lengths covered with your legs as your next best asset.
03-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by feilb Quote
I'm pretty sure i looked through just about every photo in the DA and FA club threads and the decision hasn't gotten any easier. That being said I haven't seen an extensive collection of 31 images yet. Seems like everyone has the 43. And for DA, the 35mm macro is quite impressive.
I'm sad my photo link earlier didn't persuade you to buy a 31mm. I guess I need to try harder!

Any option in Pentax primes will be a winner I think. The longer you wait, the fewer photos you can take!
03-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #104

Make youself a favour and go for the FA 31 once for all
03-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #105
Veteran Member

I nominate papersack for the first honorary "broken record" award, aka the "can't take a hint" award.