Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a 31 Ltd and acquired it in a round about way....Absolutely not complaining, but as I have said before - due to its price and width, it was something that I would not have bought for myself. That said, its a lens that spends a lot of time on my camera. In that I like to do low ambient light landscapes, I am usually at f4 to f8 for the depth of field - even at night. The lens is longer that what I thought I would use, has taught me a lot, and redefined how I look at things and compose a shot. I do a reasonable amount of stitching with it - in order to combine the sharpness and add some additional width. So, between the 12-24 and the 31 for landscapes, the 31 has forced me to go narrower, and I believe that I am a better photographer for that.

It is everything, everyone says about it - and still its an inanimate object - but it does have personality and I guess you can say "magic". If I can only take one lens, I take it. The most expensive lens I have purchased was the 12-24 for $700 - and I saved a bit over a year for it. This lens, I appreciate just as much - and maybe a tad more, because in some way it choose me. Together, they are the backbone of my photography.

What would I get in your shoes - to tell you the truth, I really do not know. Its taken me 5 years to get the lenses I have - and I am pretty much done acquiring - its using them that is enjoyable.....

03-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #122
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have a 31 Ltd and acquired it in a round about way....
Round about indeed. Wow.

I wouldn't have minded a lens worth 2.5 times what I paid for it falling in my lap...
04-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by feilb Quote
Well, what's done is done.

Hope to share a celebratory shot next week some time .
Congratulations on the purchase of a fine lens. Please do post some samples when it arrives.
04-01-2011, 04:15 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
There are plenty of truly achromatic lenses under 100mm that can be used on 35mm cameras, but these come at a price!
Since none of those, AFAIK, work on Pentax digital my question is still open: which achromats exist for K-mount? I have started a new thread for this.

04-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Well PM me before you go and throw those on the marketplace
You know, I thought that I would keep my APS-C set up for a back up (whatever that means, I dunno) but everyday I see less needs for APS-C. So, that may well be a possibility in the future. I may have a full blow out sale of my APS-C gears, although I don't think you want to buy my gears; I thrash them to the limit.
04-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know this is horrendously off topic but this has been ticking me off for a while...

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
There are plenty of truly achromatic lenses under 100mm that can be used on 35mm cameras, but these come at a price!

- Schneider Apo-Digitar (complete range from 24mm to 150mm): Schneider Apo-Digitar

- Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital HR (now labelled HR Digaron-S, complete range from 23mm to 180mm): HR Digaron-S

the Schneider and Rodenstock lenses are designed for use on view cameras with medium format digital backs, and they are completely impractical for use on any 35mm system their flange focus distances range from 44mm to 177mm. As per the specifications of many 35mm camera systems for a lens to be explicitly usable on any 35mm system camera*, the lens mount is fixed as is the sensor plane, therefore the focus flange has to be the same for each and every lens - which is not the case with the Rodenstock or the Schneider lenses.

I wish I could forcibly strike upside the head with a tyre iron anyone who mentions the Schneider Apo-Digitar and Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital HR lenses as proof that APO lenses under 100mm exist for 35mm cameras, because 35mm cameras aren't what those lenses are designed for. Using such lenses would be a colossal waste of their imaging potential and they certainly weren't designed to be used on a modern 35mm or APS-C DSLR. However, they are designed for digital medium format backs e.g: Phase one, Leaf,Sinar digital backs and with the exception of the Rodenstock 23mm Diagron-S they perform superbly.

/end rant

*pentax focus flange is 45.46 mm which means it would be physically impossible to use a lens like the Diagron 23mm f/5.6 which achieves infinity focus at 44.8mm which is substantially shorter than the pentax's flange distance.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-01-2011 at 04:58 PM.
04-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by feilb Quote
Well, what's done is done.

I've placed an order for:

<fanfare>dah-da-dah-dah</fanfare>

The 31.

We'll see how it goes and whether it truly does live up to the hype. If I don't like it, some other guy may get a chance at it on the marketplace .

That being said, my decision was based largely on 2 things, speed and focal length. I think a 24/2 limited would be my ideal lens, but 31 should get me where i'm going. I'm most leery about the size, which is a bit bigger than I would like, though comparatively small looking at my past setup .

Perhaps later this summer I can supplement the wide end with a 15 or 21. That and some of those nice, old, esoteric MF lenses. Thousands of those. Yeah, that will be nice.

Hope to share a celebratory shot next week some time .
Were you able to get your order in before it went up? I just now noticed that it has gone up from $965 to $999.99. Same at Adorama. That had to have just happened. Dammit, why must they be so cruel?

04-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #128
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Were you able to get your order in before it went up?
Unfortunately, no. 1K + 6 bucks for 2day shipping.
04-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #129
Veteran Member

They must have been reading the threads and decided to squeeze a bit extra out of you
04-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #130
Veteran Member

They must have been reading the threads and decided to squeeze a bit extra out of you
lol, I wouldn't be surprised. Although it's most likely an interruption/slow-down in supply due to the problems in Japan.
04-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #131

I would love to get that 31.... unfourtunately when I DO get my k-5 & lenses, I would like to buy more than 1 lens.
04-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
lol, I wouldn't be surprised. Although it's most likely an interruption/slow-down in supply due to the problems in Japan.
Lies, major catastrophes at main HQ and R&D and build plants would have nothing to do with rising prices! Its all a conspiracy man!
04-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #133
Pentaxian

Lies, major catastrophes at main HQ and R&D and build plants would have nothing to do with rising prices! Its all a conspiracy man!
Same for gasoline, but most people drink the kool-aid :-(
04-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #134
Pentaxian

Personally, a 31ltd would at a push cover the 24mm to 50mm focal lengths (ie. by moving nearer or further). In other words, it has the potential to substitute a DA21ltd and FA43ltd.
Portraits, small objects, walkabouts, people/candids, some scenery can all be doe with this one lens.
Its a more 'normal' focal length than a DA40, which can be a bit tighter FOV.

My few cents.
I'd get one as my one versatile lens.
The other stuff like the DA15 and DA70, FA77ltd can follow later.
04-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #135
Veteran Member

DA 15 - 31 - 70 would be a pretty flexible set up!