Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Fact: The 31 is too expensive for most people's needs, and it would be wise for the OP to invest in a flexible set up if funds are tight.
NOW who's being insistent?

03-29-2011, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I insist that the OP carefully consider how far he/she can make that 1000 dollars go. If he/she only wants a normal, the 31 works well.

My reply was not only to you, doglover.

I do find it irritating that so many lens suggestion threads turn into buy fa limited threads. Someone needs to speak up.
03-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
RE: Limiting yourself to a single focal length. Hardly the end of the world, and certainly tests your ability to think outside the box from ... within a specific box.

But..., well:

I carried my 35Ltd 2200 miles through Appalachia, and I missed a lot of shots that could have been had with a moderate telephoto and wide angle lens thrown into the mix. I sometimes regretted this, but I'd still do it the same way I think, because I could only carry one lens with me. I will agree with paperbag that the normal range is actually a pretty boring FOV after a while. It's certainly more versatile, but that general purposeness of it often makes it less exciting.

Since the OP doesn't seem to have any particular needs that would restrict him/her to a single FL, I don't see a compelling reason to do so, especially for a long period of time; and a long time it would be for most people soaking up the implications of a $1000 price tag.

On closer inspection, no the dollar signs don't add up for 15/40/70 "instead" of the 31. I'll retract my support for that and throw in for the 40 or 43 + either the 15 or 70 to start. A lot of fun could be had that way in a small package.
03-29-2011, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

I do find it irritating that so many lens suggestion threads turn into buy fa limited threads. Someone needs to speak up.
Why? The FA Ltds. are certainly not the only reason to go Pentax, but they are a big one. They are truly unique in the photography world and greatly admired by users of all brands. The real disservice would be if we tried to keep 'em under a bushel instead of informing those that are new to the brand.

Plus, someone "needs" to counteract you and your negativity toward them. You have softened your rhetoric somewhat in this thread, but your pattern is routinely anti-FA, pro-DA. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I find it irritating to read in so many lens suggestion threads. See how that goes both ways?

03-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I know what you mean. My DA70 is still in therapy after being pushed around by it's FA cousin, and let's not even talk about the mental state my DA21 is in, even it's DA Ltd sibblings laugh at it.

At least they all know how to behave in the presence of the FA31 though

Last edited by twitch; 03-29-2011 at 10:00 PM.
03-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
anti-FA, pro-DA
eh, not really. I like the DA 70 and FA 77 about equal, I prefer the FA 50 to the DA 40. If anything I'm willing to say that the FA limiteds are nice, but good alternatives exist elsewhere. SAME goes for the DA limiteds (limiteds in general).

What I'm actually anti is anti spend your brains out when it is really not that necessary. Which is why I'm so "pro" Tamron 28-75.

As for the uniqueness of the FA limiteds... well, I can only half agree on that one. They did select funny focal lengths, but I think most people who own other brands don't give a damn about them (except for internet pundits). FA 77 1.8? I have access to an 85mm 1.4. 43 1.9? Why not a 50mm 1.4? 31mm 1.8? I have a 28mm 2.0.

And those brands have full frame...

My major gripe with the FA limited line isn't the cost. Good lenses are generally expensive. My major issue is how slow Pentax has been at updating them for digital... they flare much more than the DA limiteds, and they lack quickshift. Common!

But if I only had about 1000 dollars (which is a little more than I have sunk into it at the moment) I would want more than one lens. Same goes for if I only had 400 dollars (I'd go manual focus, screw the DA limiteds).

I would actually suggest that on a budget, a good combo would be the FA 50 1.4, 16-45, and possibly the DA 70 or something similar. But who cares what I think?

Last edited by paperbag846; 03-29-2011 at 09:57 PM.
03-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I know what you mean. My DA70 is still in therapy after being pushed around by it's FA cousin, and let's not even talk about the mental state my DA21 is in, even it's DA Ltd sibblings laugh at it.

Hahaha. Your poor 21 -- and he's taken such nice photos too!

Now, I do think the image you just provided twitch is illustrative of the rather significant size difference between the 31 and all the other Limited lenses. I'm sure it's a lens with a lot of magic potential, but I think in the OP's case I would get a 43 and a 15 instead, with an eye for a 70 or 77 down the road.

03-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I'm sure it's a lens with a lot of magic potential, but I think in the OP's case I would get a 43 and a 15 instead, with an eye for a 70 or 77 down the road.
Now that's sound reasoning,..... in fact I reasoned that myself in post #11. Truthfully, like I also said in that post, it's tough to make a bad decision here. Pentax has an embarrassment of riches in small primes.
03-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Now that's sound reasoning,..... in fact I reasoned that myself in post #11. Truthfully, like I also said in that post, it's tough to make a bad decision here. Pentax has an embarrassment of riches in small primes.
Yes, well, it is sound. The 15 is a tiny UWA gem with lots of creative possibilities. The 43 is fast, has small form factor, and is closeish to normal (but maybe more interesting for its length!).

Although I wouldn't make it my next purchase, the 31 is also different enough from the 43 that you can get the 43 first (to cover that general focal range with enough money to left over to buy something else) without also worrying about having purchased a lens that might step on the toes too much of a SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive one you plan to buy down the line.
03-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #40
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting models is just as non-intimidating with the FA ltds.

Shot with the FA 77:
03-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing for the Op to consider is that at some point, Pentax will stop making the 31mm, and I suspect that day is sooner rather than later.
It's been around for quite a while, and really serves little purpose in their grand scheme of things. It's a big image circle lens in a small image circle world, and it is expensive enough that they cannot possibly be selling that many of them.
The DA Limiteds will be available for as long as Pentax makes APS-C cameras, but unless they start producing 135 format camera, the 31LTD, as well as the 43 and 77 are living on borrowed time as holdovers from another era.
In other words, if you think you want one of them, buy it sooner rather than later, since when they are gone, the present selling price will seem like a deal.
03-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #42
Veteran Member

For the OP:
Don't get anything in the 30mm range if you eventually want a 31mm as they might be used to convince yourself otherwise. So I'd say skip the 35mm as a option unless you want macro focusing abilities.

I just recently managed through a full day at a convention with the FA 31mm, K-5, and battery grip. The 31mm is as close to the perfect focal length prime on APS-C as I've ever used. I can manage to get any type of moderately close range shot possible. So when I want one lens and one body to get me through a day or weekend, I go for the 31. If I'm needing range I go with the 31mm and a telephoto zoom lens.

My other setup I use is the 14mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.4 with two camera bodies. That takes a bit more effort though.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Thanks, that image gave me a real chuckle. Well done.
03-30-2011, 02:22 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are shooting models and you want to be unintimidating

Hogwash....Richard Avedon did portraits of people through middle America with an 8X10 view camera, do you have any idea how big 8X10 view cameras are? and none of his subjects were at all intimidated by it, they were all quite natural some were even curious about it.

A pentax DSLR k7 with a FA31mm f/1.8 is nothing compared to having a 8X10 with a 780mm f/13 lens pointed at you.
03-30-2011, 04:49 AM   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, when I say not intimidating, I'm not talking about models. I don't do any studio work. For me, out with friends or in public places, people tend to feel uneasy around a camera as big as one's face mounted with a lens the size of one's forearm. They react differently. More cautious and awkward. With a tiny camera (and lens), there is no mistrust.
03-30-2011, 05:06 AM   #45
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not convinced that size matters all that much here.
Anyway, a K-5 or K-7 with any FA limited mounted on it looks as 'insignificant' as many hybrid cams or larger P&S cams.
If I'm shooting friends or family in open spaces, there'd be little point in fitting the battery grip and mounting a 70-200/2.8 lens just for some candids.