Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Thoughts on my new (old) lenses?

I bought two old Ricoh cameras w/ six old K-mount lenses tonight, and so far, I'm pretty happy. I've only taken a couple of shots playing around in my house and haven't put them through their paces yet. They all look good and clean. The whole deal had a musty smell though (as did the owner's house). I threw out the two cases that came with, and the cameras don't seem to work.

Anyhow, any thoughts on these lenses?

XR Rikenon 1:2 50mm S
XR Rikenon 1:2 50mm
MC Cosinon-W 28mm 1:2.8
Sigma Mini-Wide 1:2.8
RMC Tokina 80-200mm 1:4.5
MC CPC Auto Zoom 80-200 1:4.5

I got the whole thing for $40. I was hoping to add the cameras to my collection, but I think they're pretty much garbage-bound. I'd like to get that stuck lens off, but nothing happens when I push the lens release button.

Probably because that wasn't the lens release button I'd been pushing. The lens release lever is broken off -- got the lens off.

Last edited by Brenda Lee; 03-29-2011 at 08:40 PM.
03-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sigma miniwide is a pretty nice lens. You might pay $40 just for that. The Cosinon might also be good, never tried one. What models are the bodies? Some of those old Ricohs are so nice they might be worth repairing.
03-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
An XR-2 and an XR-6.
03-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a lens and filter that stuck and also had a rubber jar opener, that did it. If you can find any flat piece of rubber, or maybe vinyl or silicone, set the lens filter down, push down a little and turn. Try to hold the lens so you are not turning the focus ring or zoom ring. You may also be able to do it with a pair of rubber gloves.

03-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I had a lens and filter that stuck and also had a rubber jar opener, that did it. If you can find any flat piece of rubber, or maybe vinyl or silicone, set the lens filter down, push down a little and turn. Try to hold the lens so you are not turning the focus ring or zoom ring. You may also be able to do it with a pair of rubber gloves.
Thanks for the tip. I ended up using ice to cool it down and shrink the metal, and then it came off with a jar opener pad.
03-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would say you did very well. The zooms aren't worth much but your wide primes are definitely worth what you've paid each and two 50's might be worth about 25.00 a piece. Good Buy!

Thanks,
03-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The 50mm Rikenons are amongst the sharpest lenses on the planet, though (strangely) not particularly valuable...

03-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks!

The lot came with a couple of flash units -- a Pentax AF200S and a pretty sweet Sunpak Auto Zoom 3000, two remote shutter releases, a flash bracket and some other random stuff.

It all came in a nice aluminum case, but it smelled so musty, I threw it out. I'm thinking I should probably bring it back in and try to replace the foam.
03-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, I hate musty smells myself. You'll probably find that metallic parts can be cleaned to remove most traces of mustiness, but anything plastic will tend to remain "infected" even after cleaning.

Luckily, your lenses will be constructed mainly from metal (unlike modern lenses) - maybe you should consider replacing the plastic lens caps???

By the way, when using your zooms, your camera will ask you to input a focal length (assuming you have SR turned on). This is in order that the camera can apply the correct compensation for camera shake, but it will have to be a compromise value unless you want to change it for each zoom setting. Best value will be 100mm; but if you want to experiment, make sure you don't go beyond 150mm, otherwise you risk magnifying any shake.
03-30-2011, 02:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I can't figure out why the Sigma Mini-Wide won't mount on my K-x. It says on it that it's "For Pentax-K" ... The mount is a little different from the other lenses (it's the one on the left), but I could have sworn I had it on my camera earlier. :S

03-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Replacement foam should be available for the metal case; I've seen replacement foam at a few fabric stores and at stores that sell hard sided equipment cases. Stripping the old foam and washing the metal thoroughly with dish soap or something similar should kill the odour.

Sometimes oversized aperture lever shields can cause problems with mounting older lenses but the one on your sigma looks to be roughly the same size as a Pentax shield. Does it go into the mount but not rotate all the way to lock in place?
03-30-2011, 02:36 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Does it go into the mount but not rotate all the way to lock in place?
No, it won't go in all the way. Looking through the lens, I noticed that the glass inside is completely covered in little dots. I'm thinking it's most likely mold, so this lens probably isn't worth stressing over too much. I might take it apart just for fun.
03-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you familiar with lens fungus and what it looks like ? If so, then you've probably already inspected them and no need to warn you further about it - if not, search here and other sites for what it looks like etc etc - you'll need to take care to isolate any with fungus as it's contagious to some extent and could possibly be passed along to your other clean lenses.
03-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My first sigma mini wide had, like yours, the large metal "fin" protecting the stop down lever. To get it onto a DSLR I had to cut that fin off. I used a tin snips, although others have used a dremel tool to sand it down. Mine had a little haze inside too, and I took it apart trying to clean it out. I learned my first lesson of lens repair - consider it broken before you start, cause there is a high chance that is how it will end up! :-)

The XR-2 is supposed to be a very nice camera. I have an XR-1 that I like a lot. You might want to offer it on the marketplace (as non-working) before throwing it away, someone might want to take a shot at restoring it. not sure about the XR-6, but the XR-7 is also a great body.
03-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by denpapp Quote
Are you familiar with lens fungus and what it looks like ? If so, then you've probably already inspected them and no need to warn you further about it - if not, search here and other sites for what it looks like etc etc - you'll need to take care to isolate any with fungus as it's contagious to some extent and could possibly be passed along to your other clean lenses.
I'm not familiar with it. Actually, the pictures I found online don't look like what's in this lens. The spots are all perfectly circular and uniform. Is there something else it could be? Condensation, maybe?