Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Here's a good one we've been watching. Even if it was real (which I doubt), it's already been bid up to levels at least 50% higher than it's worth (on a good day).

Edit: link fixed.
I looks like they are selling a whole kit, if that makes any difference. It is still way high.

I sometimes wonder whether sellers put those listings in just to make people think that their BIN is reasonable or their reserves are a legitimate price and force up the bidding. Since no one will actually buy at the ridiculous price, what does the faux seller have to lose?

03-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I looks like they are selling a whole kit, if that makes any difference. It is still way high.

I sometimes wonder whether sellers put those listings in just to make people think that their BIN is reasonable or their reserves are a legitimate price and force up the bidding. Since no one will actually buy at the ridiculous price, what does the faux seller have to lose?
I would be wary of that particular listing, as the seller has 0 feedback, and only bothered to put up photos of one of the four lenses that are in the collection.
03-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I would be wary of that particular listing, as the seller has 0 feedback, and only bothered to put up photos of one of the four lenses that are in the collection.
I'm also guessing those top two bidders who've pushed it from $1800 to $5100 (both with zero feedback) aren't going to come through either!
03-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Agreed. Even it hadn't been artifically bid up to prices way beyond what it's worth it, the whole thing seems a bit sketchy to me.

03-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I'm also guessing those top two bidders who've pushed it from $1800 to $5100 (both with zero feedback) aren't going to come through either!
So I guess the snipe I had set for $2400 isn't going to come into play
03-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Here's a good one we've been watching. Even if it was real (which I doubt), it's already been bid up to levels at least 50% higher than it's worth (on a good day).

Edit: link fixed.
you can blame the sniper with a "0" feedback. possibly a spoof eBay account trying to jack up prices.
03-31-2011, 08:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

anyway, can anyone report that fraudulent looking listing?

03-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
you can blame the sniper with a "0" feedback. possibly a spoof eBay account trying to jack up prices.
It's almost certain that something fishy is going on with that auction. Technically a sniper would be someone who bids in the last 5-10 seconds, but certainly it seems that an ebay account was either used or created to drive the price up. I just don't see why you'd drive it that high, past a point where anyone would even consider bidding on it.

edit: it got even more comical in the last two minutes of bidding.
03-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too late.
It went for $8100
03-31-2011, 08:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Too late.
It went for $8100
None of it was real. The seller, buyer and driving bidder all had zero feeback and were likely either the same person or a group of people working together. Again, for the life of me, I can't understand what the point was unless somehow they are going to try and pull some kind of scam against ebay/paypal.
03-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
no kidding, given you could buy the entire lot new for oh say a Half of that price, substituting the DA*300 for the F
there is definitely something fishy happening
03-31-2011, 08:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

None of it was real. The seller, buyer and driving bidder all had zero feeback and were likely either the same person or a group of people working together. Again, for the life of me, I can't understand what the point was unless somehow they are going to try and pull some kind of scam against ebay/paypal.
Trying to waste the time of otherwise productive people like ourselves?

The top bidder has had 3 bid retractions in the past 6 months. Hmmm!

Then the other guy has only bid on that one item. Finally has $8k to spend on $3k worth of glass and somebody outbids him. Poor guy

Yep, total time waster, but maybe they'll stage some weird paypal scam. We'll never know!
03-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or some sort of mail scam, where they insure the package for $8100.00 and claim it was “lost”! The seller is also located in Cyprus, so good luck tracing this transaction.

Phil.
03-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
no kidding, given you could buy the entire lot new for oh say a Half of that price, substituting the DA*300 for the F
there is definitely something fishy happening
True.

In fact, if anyone wants to buy an FA31, FA77, DFA100WR and DA*300 for $4050, please send me a PM and I'll be glad to hook you up and have it sent out the same day

03-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

My question would be whether the seller is obligated to pay a percentage to Ebay for keeping the lenses.